1.1 DL WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Insulation
    WB Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies

What tarp to buy?

So, I just ordered my Warbonnet BB and now need a tarp. I don't want to spend much more then $75ish, but want something with good protection and little weight. Is 8x 10 a good starting point? Bigger? Smaller? What would you guys recommend? Any sales? Maybe a website with military discounts available (active duty Air Force)?

I've been checking the For Sale section daily trying to leap on a deal with no luck yet.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I started with an 10x12 equinox PU coated nylon tarp. A bit heavy but a great tarp. I eventually went bigger and lighter with a Superfly. Lots of great tarps out there. The Guide Gear 12X12 are great if you can grab one when they are available.Usually 20-30 bucks. Here is a pic of the Equinox(green) and a Guide Gear 12X12(white) that Paul Zissou had at the Ohio winter hang.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HamMike; 12-28-2011 at 00:51. Reason: edit tarp size
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    If you can go a little more than $75 the MacCat Standard would be an awesome choice

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    if your going to spend $75 i would recommend just going ahead and spending a bit more (another $35-40) and get something that you won't need or want to replace in the near future

and go with a BMJ from warbonnet or maybe something from OES

if you don't care about weight kelty makes the Noah that might work for you

then there is also the Chinook tarp and this one if you can find it when it's instock

hope this helps some

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Guide gear
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    line/strap
    I am very happy with the guide gear, just had to sew on some tieouts so i could pitch it A-frame style like in the picture, and after that its been on.

Here is a link to where I bought mine but it seems like they are out of stock... :/ You could probably google 'Guide gear tarp' and find a retailer...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=254694
    "Its not the fall that kills you, its the sudden stop at the end" -D.A.

"Hold on to your butts." -Samuel L. Jackson

Hammock
    WL "Night Owl"
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WL UQ, WL King TQ
    Suspension
    UL Straps/WS/Tog
    $75 Tadpole Tarp would be a great choice! Great people to deal with. http://www.wildernesslogics.com/Tad-Pole-Tad-Pole.htm

Whatever you pick make sure its as long as your hammock.. think your hammock is 11' so an 8x10 wont work

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Whatever you pick make sure its as long as your hammock.. think your hammock is 11' so an 8x10 wont work
    I would go with the ridge line length of your hammock (if you have one) and then add about 12" to each end for decent coverage. So for most hammocks that is usually an 11' ridge line length. So a 10'x8' tarp will work fine unless you are out in some heavy downpours.

Another option in the value tarps is the Chinook 12'x9'6" tarp. It is usually around $30 US when it is available.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    DIY, Dangerbird, Night Owl, Eno Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY and cuban
    Insulation
    HG and DIY
    Suspension
    whoopie and dutch
    Images
    If you aren't in a big hurry I would just keep checking the FS section. Otherwise I agree you might as well do your research and pay a few extra bucks for a decent tarp setup that you don't need to replace. The other advantage besides stellar quality and customer service is you could easily sell your tarp on HF!

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Hey Beatle, the WBBB has an 99" ridgeline (unless Brandon switched back to 100") so with a 10' x 8' you still have 20" to spare in ridge length coverage. I'd say for that hammock that's the shortest I'd go. The shorter you go, the more precise your setup must be. Ill tell you my opinion on some tarps that are similar to your price range, light weight and top quality.

It all depends on what you do and what seasons you plan to go out in. Car camp or backpack? If you car camp you might as well care less about weight. For me around your budget I'd get...

MacCat micro $65 (10' x 5' hex tarp) for long hikes in non storm conditionswhere time spent at camp is minimal aside from sleeping.

MacCat standard $95 (10'5" x 7" hex tarp) for a great 3 season type tarp. This is my go to. I've had it in rough storms and set up correctly, it fairs very well. The steep ridge cat cuts may not do so well for misty wind blown rain, blown snow, or cold winds. I love the dimensions and think a perfect go to tarp would be the same size but as a rectangle where corner could be folded in as doors. Still might not be the best for cold windy conditions.

Warbonnet superfly $130 (11' x 10' w/doors), or OES 4 seaon, wilderness logics old man winter. These are all 4 season tarps that will take care of you year round in all conditions. That many tie outs can be a pain I think but if you can only have one, this may be the way to go.

Keep in mind the for sale section. Great deal can be had. Just saw a standard go for $65. There's plenty more tarps out there too I didn't mention. Also people like Brian at OES and the guys at wilderness logics will make you a custom tarp if none fit your need. Good luck. I like tarps too much, haha.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast