GT SBP
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.5'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, cheap bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings

DIY UQ out of fleece and/or wool

Forgive me if this has been done to death but I have been thinking of making a UQ out of fleece and was wondering what the thoughts were.

First a few notes about me and my methods that lead me to this. These may change your ideas.

1. I consider myself a bushcrafter and hump a 50+ pound pak filled with knives and other misc junk into the woods. I'm not concerned about the ultra-light stuff. In fact, in the winter I'm more likely to be pulling my load in a pulk/sled less than a mile so weight is even less of a concern.

2. I work at a non-profit spay/neuter clinic where donations of blankets are a regular occurrence. I end up taking loads to Goodwill sometimes. Fleece blankets are in abundance for me if/when I need them.

3. I prefer the thrill of making something and I have more time than money so I'm more likely to make and remake stuff a hell of a lot more than shelling out the cash.

Here's what I'm thinking; two or three layers of fleece blanket with maybe a layer of wool that I have on hand. I'm imagining it quilted in say 4x4 or 6x6 squares so that it stays together. How well do you guys think that will work, as far as temp rating that is, as a UQ.

I have a reflectix auto shade pad that I will likely be using as well as a 0* mummy bag that I'd prefer to use more like an OQ. A chinook tarp will likely serve as shelter. I'm expecting an ambient temp of 20*.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Other than weight, bulk will be the issue since this UQ will not pack down small, but with a pulk, your fine there.
    I'm also curious to see pics of other results.
    Good luck.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps

Fleece

Fleece sure is interesting because it's cheap and easy to obtain. However most opinions seem to be that to get the same amount of insulation when compared with down, it's much heavier. Also it's not warm enough on it's own. A fleece sleeping bag liner can add about 10c to the sleeping bag rating. A compression bag can help with reducing the bulk, but it's still far bulkier than other forms of insulation. Also I think it needs to have something like a nylon barrier to trap the air.

One thread on HF is an interesting insultex and fleece combo.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...light=insultex

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If weight is no concern, your possibilities are endless. Wool and fleece will work great. A layer of ripstop nylon on the outside would do wonders.

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    If weight is no concern, your possibilities are endless. Wool and fleece will work great. A layer of ripstop nylon on the outside would do wonders.
    I was thinking the same thing. Our "stadium blankets" are fleece with a nylon backer and they are surprisingly warm.

Seems to me that if you have lots of material and you're handy with a thread injector, a fleece or wool peapod might be a worthwhile project.

Peace,
    David

Hammock
    GT SBP
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.5'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, cheap bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to try it and if it doesn't work I'll toss it. I can do it with little to no money so time and the built in cost of the sewing machine is all it will cost me. I'll let you know how it works out.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    It seems to me that a heavy uq will be an entirely different critter to suspend properly. Probably doable, but for sure, more difficult than a down quilt that defies gravity.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    It seems to me that a heavy uq will be an entirely different critter to suspend properly. Probably doable, but for sure, more difficult than a down quilt that defies gravity.
    That's a really good point. Perhaps using some Zing-It (or equivalent) with only a small section of shock cord, with the shock cord doubled or even tripled over on itself, might work best. You'll want about a foot or so of flexion on the suspension, if my experience with my PLUQ is any guide.

Otherwise, unless you want to be able to slide it up and down the suspension, shock cord seems to be unneeded for the majority of the suspension.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    As oldgringo said, suspending it might be a challenge IMO. If it were very thick the weight might cause enough sag to allow cold air in between the hammock and UQ. Maybe making a multi wool layer pad to lay on and keeping it in place in the hammock would work a little better.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    I have a double layer DIY bridge hammock. I placed a thermarrest pad between the two layers and then layed a wool blanket folded over in the bed of the hammock. Used my down sleeping bag as a TQ. I stayed warm in 30 degree weather in that setup. Dutch has a video showing the use of, I think, his Dutch clip as some sort of UQ support. Check it out and you might get some DIY ideas for attaching all these layers.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast