Hi everyone! I'm Hairball and although I've been in Arkansas for a year, my heart and soul remain in my beloved Virginia. I am from Augusta County, mere miles from Shenandoah National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I am doing a NOBO on the AT, departing late March (27/28?) to Springer. I've spent time alone outdoors and have done a lot of camp cooking but I've never done anything remotely close to a 6 month hike. I am scared, nervous, and insanely excited to be doing this! I saw the film, "Southbounders" on Netflix last year and I got the fever. I've been researching and buying gear ever since. I still have a TON of questions and I hope I can get most of them answered before I go.

This past summer I entered a promo contest online for Trek Light Gear. They were giving away a double hammock and rope hanging kit as first place. I had to do a few goofy things, like write and sing a song then post it to youtube but overall it was a fun promotion. Low and behold I WON! I'm not the person who wins things, ever, but I won first prize and got the hammock in the mail shortly thereafter. At this point I hadn't committed to being a HH but I really wanted to try one out. I went to the River Bridge and park in Little Rock, found some trees and hung my hammock. The first time I got in it, I fell in love! I've had a bad back for quite some time and the hammock felt awesome. I am also a very warm sleeper so it allowed a lot of air flow around my body. I'll never have to worry about rain puddles, tent stakes, and all that other stuff.

I still need to field test things but overall I know what I'm taking.

Sadly, I learned that "Double Hammock" means something different to each company. Mine means twice as big and sturdy, while other at other companies it means the hammock has two layers. Ah well.

Looking forward to all the hammock forums here. Hope this post isn't a "TL/DR"

~Hairball
AT 2012 NOBO
March Departure