Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    This really is a common problem for folks with various UQs going through the learning curve. I have really not experienced such problems, other than fairly quickly realizing I had to cinch my WB synthetic Yeti (the original) tighter than I thought I would, and making sure it was correctly positioned at my neck/shoulders. Same with my JRB MWs, just got them snug enough from the beginning and no problems. Plus if those are attached per JRB directions to the JRB BMBH there is no adjustment to fiddle with, it is automatically correct. And with a HHSS or PeaPod there is not much to adjust, if you have the HH tie outs through the HH pad and UC loops. And as long as the PeaPod is not pulled obviously to tight so that the down is compressed too much.

But can't help but notice how often this problem shows up here. Maybe there is a need for more complete directions with UQs, to avoid CBS 1st night out? Or maybe directions are adequate and just not studied enough?

Oh well, you will get it soon. Cold air is getting under you some how. But I don't think you are too tight and compressing down. Because these are dif cut quilts, right? So just get it tight enough, probably a good bit tighter than you would think. With my WB, it lifts the hammock 2 or 3 feet in the center before I get in. And make sure the quilt is positioned correctly relative to your head, not sure what that would be with this brand quilt.

Funny how- of those I have used - only the PeaPod ( and maybe the HHSS) is opposite of that. I start with a gap of 4-8" between the pod and hammock before I get in. Then the hammock sags more than the pod, so that the pod is just contacting my back once I am inside. But, the pod has no elastic shock cord suspension, just nylon cords and Velcro.

Images
    I also think you are getting an air gap between your back and the UQ.
    In my experience with winter UQ's they are just too heavy to be supported by the shockcord provided on the ends.

I also found that if your UQ has a leg shelf you have to be careful not to slide down in the hammock, thru the night, or your butt will end up on the shelf creating a huge air gap on your back.

hth

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I also think you are getting an air gap between your back and the UQ.
    In my experience with winter UQ's they are just too heavy to be supported by the shockcord provided on the ends.
    hth
    The shockcord is probably adequate if it is attached to the corners. With the side channel suspension the heavier winter UQ's do tend to slide inward forming a cold spot in the middle. One fix is to attach a small prussik loop on the shockcord near each corner, then use something like a S-biner to attach UQ to the prussik loop. This will keep it from sliding inward and the shockcord in the side channels will still help keep the UQ pulled up. Also make sure UQ is being pulled up more than out.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Thanks hangout, a clever fix!

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I had the same problem with my incubators on both the WBBB and the Switchback. Seems like the "winter" is worse than the "3S", probably due to the extra bulk hanging. I tightened the shock chord by tying a loop on the head end, tight enough to litterally raise the empty hammock. Problem solved

Another issue is the down can bunch in one spot leaving thin spots in other areas. You need to shake it and fluff it, to even out the down. Might not be as big a problem with yours since it is overstuffed.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

I just fixed this exact same problem with my ENO dbl and my winter incubator. I was overall warm, but kept getting cool spot around my lowerback butt area.

Now, I keep my UQ tight against the hammock. End channels cinched nice and tight. All looks good from the outside. Even when feeling underneath me for gaps, it almost felt warm to the touch to my hands but wasn't translating when I was laying down.

Then I hit the sweet spot. Talking with Luke and figuring it may be bunching up because of how short the hammock is, I tweaked my end cinches to let it "flex" more with my feet in the "box" area. I kept the side my feet weren't on cinched tight, but let a little out (btw talking about he draft cinches) of the side WITH my feet. I've also seen Shug do this in his how-to vids with UQ's. This tiny tweek made ALL THE DIFFERENCE. Did that, feel asleep within minutes, slept until 8am the next morning waking up so warm and toasty I decided to sleep another hour.

I think somehow your feet push your UQ away from you when you stretch out if you have your draft channel cinched too tight on your foot side.

Hammock
    Warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    StormCrowIncubator
    Suspension
    DIY Strap
    Thanks for all the info, I'm goingto try and setitup again this weekend I like the idea of adding a support line in the middle to help pull the uq upagainst me. And have someone look at it while I'm in it to try and spot the air gap. I will also keep an eye out for a group hang in my area, ambush a couple hammocking vets and get there input. Actualy I think I'll put a post up for a group hang for northern AZ and see if it gets some traction. Thanks all I will report back my findings.
    I LIVE FOR THE DAY AFTER TWO DAYS BEFORE TOMORROW.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lowclass View Post
    Thanks for all the info, I'm goingto try and setitup again this weekend I like the idea of adding a support line in the middle to help pull the uq upagainst me. And have someone look at it while I'm in it to try and spot the air gap. I will also keep an eye out for a group hang in my area, ambush a couple hammocking vets and get there input. Actualy I think I'll put a post up for a group hang for northern AZ and see if it gets some traction. Thanks all I will report back my findings.
    You can see how I did my UQ "lifters" at 3:00 in the video.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    yeah i agree you need to use the side tabs on the UQ to lift it more over your RL.... i had the same problem with my old crowsnest it would sag in the middle creating a air pocket ...
    if it was an air gap you would have more than CBS IMO
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I just fixed this exact same problem with my ENO dbl and my winter incubator. I was overall warm, but kept getting cool spot around my lowerback butt area.

Now, I keep my UQ tight against the hammock. End channels cinched nice and tight. All looks good from the outside. Even when feeling underneath me for gaps, it almost felt warm to the touch to my hands but wasn't translating when I was laying down.

Then I hit the sweet spot. Talking with Luke and figuring it may be bunching up because of how short the hammock is, I tweaked my end cinches to let it "flex" more with my feet in the "box" area. I kept the side my feet weren't on cinched tight, but let a little out (btw talking about he draft cinches) of the side WITH my feet. I've also seen Shug do this in his how-to vids with UQ's. This tiny tweek made ALL THE DIFFERENCE. Did that, feel asleep within minutes, slept until 8am the next morning waking up so warm and toasty I decided to sleep another hour.

I think somehow your feet push your UQ away from you when you stretch out if you have your draft channel cinched too tight on your foot side.
    Those are some real good points. Experimenting with these shock cords can have a big pay off.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast