Tarp
    DIY Purple Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

Sleeping bag nylon...for a hammock

In my search for materials here in India I finally touched bases with a guy who owns an adventure shop who can connect me with a few suppliers of nylon. The one is a lady who works with parachute nylon in Goa, but he said that would be expensive (I never really know what that means here ). The other option is he can connect me with the supplier who provides the nylon shell for his sleeping bags.

Does the nylon for hammocks need to be ripstop? Would a lightweight sleepingbag nylon work just as well?

I'm looking on making 4 hammocks, one for each of us in the family, so I would like to not spend a ton of money only to find out nobody else likes hanging besides me

Thanks,
    Josh

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    You should be fine with normal nylon, sleeping bag shells are normally softer/silkier feeling than the ripstop i have anyway, it is my understanding that the only real difference is that ripstop stops it ripping past the stronger thread that makes the squares, not really any difference in strength but might be more of an issue if hammocks are being treated quite roughly! I think anyway, feel free ti correct me.
    [Edit] darned phone can't spell!

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    If my memory serves me, Warbonnet Blackbirds in 1.7 ounce are nylon but are not made of ripstop. I borrowed one during my first-ever group hang and it was incredibly comfortable. If you can get a weight of the nylon that he uses in the sleeping bags (which I guess would be at least 1.1) that would be helpful info.

I randomly purchased some heavier nylon (not ripstop) to try some experiments on and it's held up fine so far.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    The only purpose of ripstop is to prevent fraying past the square during normal use. with a load it will still tear through, to put it in lehman's terms. It will not prevent a butt-in-dirt moment any more than a taffeta will. Go right ahead and use a taffeta and please let us know how it works out...I smell a future group buy in the making...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Purple Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Thanks. I figured it would be okay. Just needed a hug . I'm all for cheap. I've sourced nice and light silnylon (or something similar) so this was actually the only piece missing. I thought dyneema would be the hard part but I found Marlow Excel D12 and it seems to be very similar to the Amsteel used in the states. But straight nylon fabric has been a real trick.

Hammock
    WBRR &amp; WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    You might contact some of the cottage companies like scott at diygearsupply.com to see if they could ship to india

• + New Posts