Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Homemade BlackCat
    Images

Need 1.1 oz Silnylon

I want to make a BlackCat tarp, but I need 8 yards of 1.1oz silnylon to do it. I don't think it will be cost effective to buy it from Ed Speer for about $47.00 because I'm still learning how to sew, so the cost plus the headaches of sewing point to buying a MacCat instead.

So, if you have a Walmart nearby or have some less expensive 1.1 silnylon, I'll be happy to take it off your hands! Thanks.
    Relay for Life Long Trail hike 2008: Please donate here to the American Cancer Society (100% of donations go to the ACS)

"Measure Four Times, Cut Twice"

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    You can find 1.1 oz ripstop sometimes at Wally's world. And on a good day you might actually find 1.9 oz ripstop in the $1 bin. And, sometimes you find "mystery meat" ripstop of unknown material and weight (you have to go home and do the measurements, math, and burn test.) I've never been fortunate enough to find 1.1 sil at Wally's, and I check every other time I go. But every once in a while, someone will post that they scored some sil and that keeps my hopes alive.

Lack of cheap sil led to the thread on this forum about making your own.

I did luck out once and got some ~1.9 ripstop polyster. My current hiking hammock is made from it, and its nice! (Nylon stretches, poly doesn't, puts and takes for each, short story, I like my poly hammock.)

Sewing a tarp is a piece of cake as long as you stick to straight lines and 90 degree corners. The curves are a pain.

Good luck!

Images
    Consider buying $1 a yard fabric and making a practice tarp out of whatever they have. That is my plan on my next tarp. Especially after seeing Cannibals Spineker tarp this weekend. That stuff is half the weight, but $12 a yard.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Quote Originally Posted by Tosto View Post
    I want to make a BlackCat tarp, but I need 8 yards of 1.1oz silnylon to do it. I don't think it will be cost effective to buy it from Ed Speer for about $47.00 because I'm still learning how to sew, so the cost plus the headaches of sewing point to buying a MacCat instead.

So, if you have a Walmart nearby or have some less expensive 1.1 silnylon, I'll be happy to take it off your hands! Thanks.
    Just suck it up and order a Macat from Brian at OES. You'll look back and realize it was a wise decision.

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Homemade BlackCat
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Just suck it up and order a Macat from Brian at OES. You'll look back and realize it was a wise decision.
    I'd really like to, especially since he's a fellow Mech. Eng. in western NY and his work is very impressive, but my budget is almost gone. I love DIYing, but lack of funds is pushing me to do more.
    Relay for Life Long Trail hike 2008: Please donate here to the American Cancer Society (100% of donations go to the ACS)

"Measure Four Times, Cut Twice"

• + New Posts