Materials for hammock and tarp?

Ok, so I'm looking for options for making a hammock and over tarp thing.
    I was thinking about using the ripstop nylon available from Hancock fabrics but I found a few other options online that is lighter and about the same price (when you add the shipping and all). I just want to make sure I've got the right materials before I order them.

This for the hammock:
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/27...n_taffeta.html

And this for my tarp:
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/27...ON_FABRIC.html

If the above fabrics wouldn't work, would this be functional for my hammock and/or tarp?
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/36...=10&t=12&cids=

Let me know if you have different fabric suggestions or what not.
    Also, I've talked to some of these sellers and they were willing to sell me 50 meters or so. I may put some of the stuff up for resale here depending on how many hammocks I decide to make myself. So, I'm not going to be buying 5000 meters of fabric for a few hammocks. I've been sleeping in hammocks for years but I'm pretty new to the whole DIY thing.

Thanks

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I looked at the tarp silnylon and the minimum order is 1000 yrds. Did you see that?
    "No whining in the woods"

Yes, I've already spoken with the sellers. They are willing to sell me 50 yards.

Thanks

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Check out Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics(www.owfinc.com). I have ordered enough material to make several hammocks and tarps and their prices are hard to beat. I used mostly seconds, usually cheaper still. The material was delivered on time and there was no issues what so ever. Also don't forget DIY Gear Supply, the owner is a member of the forum and is willing to help with patterns, sewing tips and any other customer service needs.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Get a sample first!!!!! I have worked with a number of companies over the last year form over seas, many are great some have no clue what you are talking about let alone what it is you want. I requested a sample of 4 models of fly boxes and 1 type of fly fishing tippet to see the quality from one shop, 8 weeks latter I got one fly box, 6 spools of very low quality tippet and a bunch of fly tying materials. Many just never send the samples...though they usually are happy to take a fee for shipping. In your first link to the Taffeta the picture is of ripstop. I would not send funds over without them being willing to send a sample of the fabric to you.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WL3/4 - GoLite TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    The hammock fabric by my calcs is 1.1 with 20D. Depending upon your weight, you may need to go double thickness. Also, if this stuff doesn't meet your expectations, what recourse do you have.

If you are just starting out in DIY, may I suggest using a US based supplier. Most are cottage industries (and forum members) so if you have a problem, you can speak directly with the owner. Also, it is in their best interest to help you out any way they can. You may pay a little more but the service they provide is invaluable.

Just my $.02

Good luck!
    hammock [ham-uhk] noun
    Man's successful attempt to sleep on a cloud

OK, thanks. Which would you recommend; the "Hancock fabrics" ripstop nylon or the "DIY gear supply" 1.1 ripstop nylon? Also, what is the weight capacity of these two fabrics? what are the tradeoffs between the two?
    For my tarp, I was thinking the "DIY gear supply" 30D Silnylon: silicone impregnated ripstop nylon. That will work ok?

Also, thanks for the help on where to buy, I'm glad I don't have to order 50 yards.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    the diygearsupply will be your best bet for a good experience. The Hancock fabrics ripstop is 1.9 and definitely doesn't feel as nice as the stuff I have from diygearsupply.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sterling98 View Post
    OK, thanks. Which would you recommend; the "Hancock fabrics" ripstop nylon or the "DIY gear supply" 1.1 ripstop nylon? Also, what is the weight capacity of these two fabrics? what are the tradeoffs between the two?
    For my tarp, I was thinking the "DIY gear supply" 30D Silnylon: silicone impregnated ripstop nylon. That will work ok?

Also, thanks for the help on where to buy, I'm glad I don't have to order 50 yards.
    Warbonnet has a handy guide for occupant weight vs. fabric type and layer number. Hope it helps!

Also, any ideas to find a 59 or 60 inch no see um mesh that's not camo...?

• + New Posts