Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images

Clark Jungle Hammock Review and WBBB Comparison

I spent the three nights of the Christmas weekend in my new Clark NX-200. My other hammock is a WBBB. This was my first time ever sleeping in the Clark, so I thought I would give you my impressions and comparison with the BB.

Suspension: I took one look at the stock Clark Suspension and scrapped the whole thing with a custom WS and strap suspension with an adjustable external ridgeline all connected with Dutchware. I wanted the Ridgeline so that I can use other tarps and still have a way to hold up the bug net. I also like the idea of dialing in the length to achieve that perfect lay every time and without the fiddle factor. This new suspension saves 5oz of weight. I'll do a video on this mod soon.

Side Sleeping: I'm a side sleeper and found it extremely easy to switch sides and to quickly find the sweet spot in the Clark. I do the same in the BB, but I can't switch sides and find the sweet spot as quickly. I like the lay in both, but feel that the Clark may be a little more comfortable than the BB.

Features: In my BB, I normally throw all my loose stuff into the shelf before entering and then organize it after I'm inside. Without the shelf in the Clark, I didn't have a good place to stage my gear and everything wound up under my back. The 2 pockets in the Clark are very small and have a limited use. On the other hand, the pockets on the outside of the Clark are huge. I need to get accustomed to using them. The Clark has a built in weather shield that I used. It helped hold in the heat, but not the condensation. I have a Bear Burrito Oven for my BB that does the same thing. The BB is great, but having it built in like a bug net is a nice feature. It also stows away in a built in pocket. Funny, but there was no place to store the unused bug net. So, I added a Peak Bag from 2QZQ at the foot end. Also with no internal RL, I had no good place to hang my glasses and head lamp.

Tarp: The Clark came with their XL tarp. The tarp has an unusual shape and is designed to hold up the bug net. It seem to me to be about the right size for a 3 season tarp and only weights 8.5 oz. Since I swapped out the suspension, I'm planning to use my SF with it for winter adventures.

The Bottom Line: Experimenting with different type of gear is what this sport is all about. The Clark Jungle Hammocks and the Warbonnet Black Birds are both excellent hammocks and I'm happy that I now have one of each. In general I like the Clark and believe that with additional experience with it, I will grow to love it like I do my BB.

Question: What do you Clark guys do with your glasses?
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Cool review, Tony! I'll be interested to see which hammock you bring to the KC hang...I've not seen the Clark in person before.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Glasses and the Clark hammocks.

Easy:
    Clark has sewn small loops at the top of the head-end hoods. Slide one arm or leg of your eyeglasses through and fold the glasses up to hang in front of you, where you can put them on before going into the sewn-in holster behind your left ear......or finding your way to a bush.

Interesting observation about habits, such as taking advantage of the shelf on the WBBB. I suppose there are Clark regulars who immediately sort their stuff into all of the six pockets........and remember where everything is. Once camping with a set of soft drawers, they'd be grumpy without them. Neatnicks.

Two Clarks here.

All smilies implied.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 12-28-2011 at 20:55.

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Cool review, Tony! I'll be interested to see which hammock you bring to the KC hang...I've not seen the Clark in person before.
    Thanks, my friend. I hope to be bringing down some new Hammock Gear quiltage too if it gets here in time.
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Dudorino:
    The two grossgrain loops the DemostiX talks about are great places to hang your glasses or to run a shock cord ridgeline from. With the shock cord ridgeline I am able to hang my glasses, headlamp, gloves in cold weather, MP4 player, just to name a few things. I highly recommend the shock cord and not regular cordage, regular cordage will put too much stress on the netting when you get in the hammock.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I love my Clark NX-250 and I did the opposite of you, I just bought a WBBB and can't wait to try it out. I don't think I can compare it to my Clark since I mainly use my Clark for cooler/colder hanging, and will plan on using the WBBB for the warm-cool hanging. I love the weather shield on the Clark, definitely keeps the heat in and the cold and dampness out.
    Welcome to the Clark crowd.....
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Clark NX-200 w/ ridgeline & NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark XL (x2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudorino View Post
    Funny, but there was no place to store the unused bug net. So, I added a Peak Bag from 2QZQ at the foot end.
    Just aft of the zipper on the bugnet is are two pockets located on the exterior of the upper portion of the hammock (one on each side of the hammock.) The storm shield goes in one, the bug net in the other.

Images
    Thanks for this unusual test: a BB owner going to a Clark to compare. Looks like it is a serious competitor alright! This is one of the few hammocks I have never tried. Yet.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    HammockGear 40*UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bacon_grease View Post
    Just aft of the zipper on the bugnet is are two pockets located on the exterior of the upper portion of the hammock (one on each side of the hammock.) The storm shield goes in one, the bug net in the other.
    I think he was talking about the bear burrito but I'm not sure either

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Glasses in a Clark

I have a NX-250 which has two pockets sewn into the head end - one Velcro'd and one open. I use the open one for my glasses - they have never fallen out.

I also have a WBBB, and think of it as a warmer weather hang. The CJH Weathershield is a fine piece of kit for keeping the typhoons at bay.

Both great hammocks; Just "different". Allows me to be fickle!

Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast