Hammock
    HH Backpacker UL
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ (Yipee
    Suspension
    7/64 Amsteel SLS

HH Cub insulation?

OK.

Got the Cub for my 10 yo son and had our first night out. He LOVED it. I had him on a BA Insulated Air Core pad for bottom insulation, but I worry this won't take him down much below the 40 degree temps we just had.

Anyone else figure this out already? I guess I could fork out the $150 for an Expedition, plus UQ or SS, but funds are TIGHT these days (hence the free Cub).

Anyone?

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    not quite sure what you're asking?? I don't know anything about the BA pad, but you say it's insulated so it should do pretty good. Remember to not put as much air into it as you would if it was on the ground. If your son fits the Cub, then keep him in it until he out grows it (or you just want to up-grade it). In the mean time, start saving for a synthetic (like climashield) under quilt for him. Maybe even something like the IX underquilts would work if he also used the BA pad with it. Also, montor the clothes he wears to sleep as this could help keep him warmer too.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    If your son is about the right size for a Cub, it might be worth looking at the no-sew PLUQ design that dejoha was kind enough to share with everyone.

By itself, the PLUQ won't get your son much below the 45 mark (unless he's a space heater like I am), but combined with the pad, it should be good for another 10 to 20 degrees below what the pad is rated for. Plus, it'll wrap his shoulders well, eliminating cold spots there.

And, even if it doesn't work out, you're only out about $30 to $40.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    OK.

Got the Cub for my 10 yo son and had our first night out. He LOVED it. I had him on a BA Insulated Air Core pad for bottom insulation, but I worry this won't take him down much below the 40 degree temps we just had.

Anyone else figure this out already? I guess I could fork out the $150 for an Expedition, plus UQ or SS, but funds are TIGHT these days (hence the free Cub).

Anyone?
    The BA Insulated Aircore has an R 4.2 rating. That should be enough to go below 30 in a hammock. They are rated at 15 for ground use. Throw a partial ccf pad in sideways to cover the shoulder area, and it should be fine down to 20.

• + New Posts