Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    O... so I am confused. Am I doing it the way Ashley suggests? If not... what _does_ he suggest?

Edit: I just checked with www.animatedknots.com and I tie it the way they show in the animation. They do mention the alternative at the bottom of the page but that is not how I do it.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 09-24-2008 at 18:07.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    animatedknots shows the approved way. The other variant goes by "Cowboy bowline", a.k.a. Dutch bowline.

I hadn't know until this year by reading up on knots thanks to HF that there was a difference.

As a matter of habit I tie a stopper knot on the working end of most any knot I tie. Incidents like yours re-enforce the habit!

Grizz

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    In reading the Wikipedia listing for Bowline accessed from your above link to the dutch bowline it states that the bowline may be loosened and untie when repeatedly loaded/unloaded and jostled or shaken around. Sounds like it may not be the best knot for attaching a line to suspension rings. Perhaps a clovehitch with saftey half hitches would be a better choice.

Edit: Scratch that. Animnated knots says the clove hitch can slip easily although I have never seen that happen in the years I have used it. Although most of my use has been for the recommended application on the page... that of hanging theatrical scenery.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 09-24-2008 at 18:26.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sam4msu View Post
    I have had trouble with AirCore + holding knots because it is so slick. Does the Amsteel hold a knot better?? Any suggestions for getting the AirCore + to hold a knot? I am about 285# so I do put some stress on this stuff.

what knots are you tying?

i use the amsteel blue and have no problem with double sheetbend to webbing, or a slipped buntline hitch to a ring. also, my larks head loop is made from an overhand knot and that seems to hold well too.

Images
    you guy's should try finishing the bowline with the yosimite backup, it's pretty much the accepted way to finish the double bowline when tying climbing rope to harness.

so, when the rabbit goes around the tree he makes what i will call the top loop. to do the yosimite backup, tie the bowline, and then pass the free end back through the "top loop" and dress.

also, i always make note to dress the top loop so it is bent at a 90 degree angle (it kinda does this when it gets loaded anyway). then when i want to untie it, i just push it back/up /forward and pull a little working end through. from here, just work the slack backwards to loosen the hole. i've never had a loaded bowkine i couldn't untie in a few seconds this way.

Images
    man, if you guy's have been having bowlines slip, i'll need to really watch the overhand larks head loop as i haven't been using the amsteel very long. the vectrus 12 seemed to hold it just fine.

rev, how many nights of being weighted did that bowline have before it slipped?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    rev, how many nights of being weighted did that bowline have before it slipped?
    I am trying to remember. I have three hammocks that are using the amsteel and bowline knots. I have had it happen several times but I don't rightly remember which hammocks it happened with. This particular one was loaded a fair number of times for testing and then my wife slept in it at least three nights and I was testing it and had been several times so I really can't answer the question definitively. I had rather assumed if I made it through the testing, they would holdbut it seems not.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    the rope loops so the standing end (ie the tree) is underneath the intersection.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I originally thought this meant you are doing it as Ashley would suggest, but just discovered that the way you lay the loop to begin with matters.

Grizz
    Yes! The lay of the loop matters. Most people have bunnies. I, being difficult, have snakes. You have no idea how long it took me to learn the bowline lo, these many years ago (darn snakes).
    If the standing end is on top of the loop, then the snake goes down the hole, over the root and back up the hole.
    Teaching basic knots to innumerable scouts (boy and girl) finally cemented the procedure for me.
    Last edited by E.A.Y.; 10-04-2008 at 18:20. Reason: found Ramblinrev's mention of the tree vs loop

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234