Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have had the Amsteel Blue slip its knots a number of times. I have taken to leaving quite long tails or melting the daylights out of the stuff. In fact, I am considering whipping critical knots to keep them from slipping. I like the amsteel for its weight and strength, but it can be a bear to keep a knot in.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I have had the Amsteel Blue slip its knots a number of times. I have taken to leaving quite long tails or melting the daylights out of the stuff. In fact, I am considering whipping critical knots to keep them from slipping. I like the amsteel for its weight and strength, but it can be a bear to keep a knot in.
    I've had similar experience with other single braid dyneema cord. But my trusty bowline has always held OK....that said, for safety I tie a stopper knot (e.g. figure-8) at the working end, just in case.

Grizz

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It was an end bowline that went out on me the other day. Needless to say I felt very let down.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    It was an end bowline that went out on me the other day. Needless to say I felt very let down.
    Tell me it isn't true! My trusted friend the bowline!

Grizz

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Tell me it isn't true! My trusted friend the bowline!

Grizz
    'Tis true. I was quite surprised. It was one of the bowlines tied to the suspension ring of my wife's Bridge. Catastrophic corner failure resulted in the simultaneous displacement of spreader bar and occupant (fortunately me, not my wife).

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Spectra lines have low friction. All knots use the lines coeficient of friction to hold. High friction natural lines can use simple knots because their coeficient of friction is high. Low CF lines need more complex knots that put more of the line to work. Some knots have inherently high friction.

The Bowline is one example of an inherently high-friction knot that folks have mentioned. As Ramblinrev points out, it is not foolproof. I would like to know precisely it failed, Rev.

The Trucker's Hitch is another effective, high-friction knot suitable for Spectra when the loop is made with a Figure-8 and the bitter end (the short end of the line) is finished off with 2 Half Hitches. The Trucker's Hitch has the advantage of being easily untied and adjusted for length. It's disadvantage is, it weakens the line more than the bowline. However, with Spectra's excess strength, the choice of knot is not particularly important for the 'ridge line' or 'static line'.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    I would like to know precisely it failed, Rev.
    Obviously I did not eye witness the failure as I was not watching the knot, but as near as I can tell the line slipped and untied. It was not broken. The rope seemed to be the same length. I have had this happen several times and it appears the line just simply snakes through the loops backwards. The bend where the line wrapped the ring was evident. The cord beyond that bend seemed to have been pressed flat as though being pulled through a stress point. Of course once the bunny is yanked out of the hole the knot fails completely and catastrophically (i.e. suddenly without warning).

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Obviously I did not eye witness the failure as I was not watching the knot, but as near as I can tell the line slipped and untied. It was not broken. The rope seemed to be the same length. I have had this happen several times and it appears the line just simply snakes through the loops backwards. The bend where the line wrapped the ring was evident. The cord beyond that bend seemed to have been pressed flat as though being pulled through a stress point. Of course once the bunny is yanked out of the hole the knot fails completely and catastrophically (i.e. suddenly without warning).
    Rev - how do you have the bunny going around the tree. Ashley, as in The Ashley Book of Knots, states that having the free end come out inside the loop is more secure than having the free end come out outside the loop.

Do you always tie in the same way or is it kind of random?

I used to have the bunny go around the tree randomly, until I read Ahsley's comment. Now I always have the free end come out inside the loop.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    ok... in all the gruesome detail I can muster. I've been tying these suckers for well onto forty years which is not to say anything but it is almost rote by now.

loop the rope... the rope loops so the standing end (ie the tree) is underneath the intersection.

Bunny jumps out of the hole to the right side of the tree and darts around the tree from my visual right to my visual left. (The tree's left to the tree's right i guess).

Farmer Mac Gregor scares the daylights out of the bunny and he darts back down the hole following the same footprints he left... but in reverse.

Farmer Mac Gregor, ticked off at the little rascal grabs the tree and pulls one way. Bunny digs in with all four paws in the direction of travel using the origianl footprints as traction and pulls the other. It is a stand off and the both get tired at the same time and the knot is done.

Now... I'm not sure how that relates to your question. But that's the way I tie it. Complete with stupid little mouthing things as I do so.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Farmer Mac Gregor scares the daylights out of the bunny and he darts back down the hole following the same footprints he left... but in reverse.
    I originally thought this meant you are doing it as Ashley would suggest, but just discovered that the way you lay the loop to begin with matters.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast