WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Temperature comfort range & all that gear.

New to hanging. Have experienced the cold backside. It has been a cool spring up here. Yesterdays arrival of a JRB Nest & Weather Shield should warm it up at least while hanging.

Just wondering what your lower temperature comfort level is for: 1. Bare hammock; 2. Hammock plus weather shield (like the JRB Weather Shield); 3. Hammock, shield & pad (assume R2-3 pad); 4. Hammock, shield & 3-season underpad (like the JRB Nest).

Calm to 5mph wind. . Please state if you consider yourself a cold(need more insulation), normal or warm sleeper.

Feel like a bit of a wannabe, dork. Starting to accumulate gear and have only been hanging among the critters in my "yard". But before I head out would prefer to work things out. Like knowing my gear to nth degree. Prefer not to carry anything I really don't need for the conditions expected.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    New to hanging. Have experienced the cold backside. It has been a cool spring up here. Yesterdays arrival of a JRB Nest & Weather Shield should warm it up at least while hanging.

Just wondering what your lower temperature comfort level is for: 1. Bare hammock; 2. Hammock plus weather shield (like the JRB Weather Shield); 3. Hammock, shield & pad (assume R2-3 pad); 4. Hammock, shield & 3-season underpad (like the JRB Nest).

Calm to 5mph wind. . Please state if you consider yourself a cold(need more insulation), normal or warm sleeper.

Feel like a bit of a wannabe, dork. Starting to accumulate gear and have only been hanging among the critters in my "yard". But before I head out would prefer to work things out. Like knowing my gear to nth degree. Prefer not to carry anything I really don't need for the conditions expected.
    We were all dorks at one point. Some still are.
    These numbers are not exact but as close as I can guess.
    Bare hammock-65-70 degrees F
    Hammock plus weathershield (bottom) 60 degrees F
    Hammock, shield, pad (aprox 5/8" thick CCF) 35-40 degrees F
    Hammock, shield JRB Nest-20 degrees F or less
    Normal-coldish sleeper
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    What FF said. That sounds about right to me, though I have no experience with the Nest, only with the HH SShelter or Speer PeaPod. And some experience with pads. I might could do a few degrees colder with that pad/weather shield combo.

Also ( I actually am afraid to bring this up ) it will also depend on what I am using with it on top. If I am using just a quilt or down bag, then all is the same. If ( sorry- here it comes- you may want to look away now! )however I get inside one of my PolarGuard Sleeping bags, then ( for me anyway add 5 or 10 degrees to the above.

But, keep in mind, we all vary greatly, so you are going to have to find out for yourself via experimentation. I have no doubt some of my friends and family would have to add 10 or even 20* or more to the above estimates.

I call myself an average sleeper in my later years, much more sensitive to cold than 20 years ago.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-25-2008 at 19:22.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I call myself an average sleeper in my later years much more sensitive to cold than 20 years ago.
    now now BB58...you're only 59....later years? Already? This is prime of life country friend. (least it better be 'cause you and me share the leading age digit...)

Grizzled Grizz

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    now now BB58...you're only 59....later years? Already? This is prime of life country friend. (least it better be 'cause you and me share the leading age digit...)

Grizzled Grizz
    Well, it's the Later years, which Lord willing are going to be the prime years, at least in several important areas!

• + New Posts