Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Putuco / alpaca warehouse

`My items are 50% alpaca 50% wool, exception made for the super fine alpaca items, which are 75% alpaca yarn 25% wool.
    All my items have that composition, unless they clearly state 100% alpaca on the description/title of the auction
    thanks,`
    putuco

Hammock
    RR, HH Safari Deluxe, NX 150, WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly and Noah
    Insulation
    pad and quilt top
    Suspension
    straps
    Not sure if this will help, but I remember when my kids were in 4H, there were folks that felted alpaca fleece and I had a pair of boot liners made from it and they were VERY warm in the bottom of rubber boots and paks. MUCH warmer than wool felt of about the same thickness...too hot in some cases when used to hike in or snowshoe use.

Answer to question about alpaca can you just stuff in a pillow

I work for Western Feather and Down Ltd. Co. Alpaca is not a major part of the companie's business
    Alpaca as fibre is unique. It needs to be carded, it require oiling when carding. Uncarded alpaca will knot in a pillow. I have carded 1800 kilos of alpaca in 3 hours at work.
    It cards well but in needs to be mixed with Rommey or goat hair (Cashmere) to be handled to go into a quilting machine or to be made into cloth for wedding dresses or suite.
    I like carding alpaca be cause it is light and easier to feed into the machine than wool or horse hair.
    Ross Wilkinson
    Western Feather and Down Ltd. Co
    3086 Spring Street
    Port Moody BC Canada V3H 1Z8
    if you have any questions phone 604 461 7440 an ask for Jay. He is 78 years old and has been working in textiles since he was a child. There is not much he doesn't know.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    It seems to me the best use for alpaca is knit garments like hats, scarves, socks, and mittens. These are knit fabrics because alpaca apparently works best close to the skin while down works best fluffy and lofted.

I learned a lot being a Texan that lived in Maine for two years: wear a hat! The best hat there was a wool felted Crusher. I never felt cold with that life-saver on my head.

When I moved back home I had learned my lesson so bought a 5X Western hat for every day use in the winter.

As I contemplate a DIY underquilt, the sacrificial Marmot bag being washed and dried all day in preparation for its new role, I'm hankering for an alpaca toboggan for my new UL cold weather adventures.

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    Picked up an alpaca blanket at a mountain festival. I'm going to try it in the war bonnet "pocket" some time. I think opportunity will present itself next weekend. I've slept under it solely since I got it. VERY comfy and warm. Looking forward to seeing how it does in the hammock.
    You don't HAVE TO be crazy to be here - But I assure you it will help.....

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    I made a aplaca UQ for under my bridge hammock and will be taking it into the field next weekend for the second annual Oregon winter hang. It lofts up to 3 to 3.5 inches. I'm using aplaca seconds. It's full length and I've stuffed each baffle (6) with three ounces of carded alpaca and then I took about another two ounces and filled in the ends, three was not quite enough in each baffle. I've laid in it for about 15 minutes when it was in the high 30's and I didn't have a cold spot under me. I know that's not a solid test, but I'm hoping it will be able to handle the cold temps at mt. Hood. I'll report how it works.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    please keep us posted how this went.

pics of you quilt would be very cool as well
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paprika bohlmann View Post
    I made a aplaca UQ for under my bridge hammock and will be taking it into the field next weekend for the second annual Oregon winter hang. It lofts up to 3 to 3.5 inches. I'm using aplaca seconds. It's full length and I've stuffed each baffle (6) with three ounces of carded alpaca and then I took about another two ounces and filled in the ends, three was not quite enough in each baffle. I've laid in it for about 15 minutes when it was in the high 30's and I didn't have a cold spot under me. I know that's not a solid test, but I'm hoping it will be able to handle the cold temps at mt. Hood. I'll report how it works.

I have some alpaca fleece and plenty of nylon, I'm curious if this ever got a full night of testing, and how it worked. What was the final weight?

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I spoke to the lady who makes alpaca cat pillows. She still has found no use for the shorter carded pieces that can't be spun.
    She will be sending me some after Christmas.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Hammeck
    Bringing this thread back to life (hopefully.) So I recently got 2 angora bunnies about 3 months ago. My wife knits, and I basically take care of the bunnies. I originally got them for her and knitting. But I had read somewhere that angora wool is about 8 times warmer and 5 times lighter than sheep wool. May have mixed the numbers but I immediately thought.... wow that would be awesome, and since I currently don't have an under quilt and I moved to Vermont last year... I could use a good one. For now I will likely be turning a Coleman sleeping bag into an under quilt. But I wanted to know for future reference, if this was a good idea. My original plan was to fleece is because I heard that can make it significantly increase how water resistant the fiber is. Which did male me think it might be possible to not have a protective layers.

Additionally I have a double layer hammock, and after hearing earlier in this thread that I might be able to just lay on it directly, I am wondering how/why that works.

Anyway as always the wealth of information on this forum is amazing!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast