Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Since it is not needed to cushion so much as for insulation, I'd shoot for for a thinner version of the kitty pillow to test how thick you need it. If the pillow cover fabric is suitable, you could just use a cotton sheet for the full sized project. Cotton/poly might be more forgiving.
    perhaps something like this?

http://store.colemans.com/cart/images/2907.jpg

or this?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-F5HuPhNvzw...nesday38-1.jpg

this type looks comfy:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jJbCwnW-fl....120858443.jpg

please dont take offense at my questioning as im a noob, but
    could you please explain to me how its better to lie on the insulation rather than make an underquilt? im a bit confused as ive read so much about losing warmth as the material gets compressed..it applies to down more so than wool? i guess you already stated that.
    i saw a few guys just use an army poncho as an UQ, what do you reckon of using an alpaca quilt like that?
    maybe ill try making both the bedroll & UQ & see how it goes?

btw i apologize for being so annoying & really appreciate your advice
    Last edited by TinFoilHatsFTW; 12-31-2011 at 04:21.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcrafter View Post
    i am thinking this might make a good winter quilt where one would be pulling a pulk sled and weight and bulk would be less of an issue.
    It would probably weigh in the same range as an Exped mat and roll to about the size of a WallyWorld ccf, so I don't think a pulk or team of mules would be needed to carry it.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    The top one looks easiest to make, and the bottom one looks like it would hold the fleece in place more. The fleece itself along with the desired thickness will dictate the amount of quilting needed. That why I'd probably try the pillow case project first. It'll let you experiment and adapt pretty quickly. If you knew precisely how thick you wanted it already, it would be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by TinFoilHatsFTW View Post
    please dont take offense at my questioning as im a noob, but
    could you please explain to me how its better to lie on the insulation rather than make an underquilt? im a bit confused as ive read so much about losing warmth as the material gets compressed..it applies to down more so than wool? i guess you already stated that.
    i saw a few guys just use an army poncho as an UQ, what do you reckon of using an alpaca quilt like that?
    maybe ill try making both the bedroll & UQ & see how it goes?

btw i apologize for being so annoying & really appreciate your advice
    Of course you can deploy the alpaca however you wish. UQ's were developed for a number of reasons to provide for the most efficient warmth and comfort. Pads were used first for hammock camping. UQ's could be packed down smaller and be lighter than pads. The same down and synthetic insulations will loft upward toward the hammock body to assume the shape of the hammock. Hence the need for developing suspensions and baffle designs to allow the insulation to loft without being compressed. Pads in single layer hammocks also had a tendency to not be as comfortable as the hammock fabric itself.

Since the alpaca fleece would appear to retain more of its loft and insulating ability than down and its synthetic competitors when under load, there is really no need to suspend it under the hammock. If your body is directly on the bed roll, there is no air gap. Further, the fleece will conform to the shape of the hammock better than the more rigid air pads and ccf pads.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I would be more than willing to test any of these ideas out if any of you would like to send me some samples ....I'll be here all day

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I've been looking for a thin insulating layer to use on top of an aluminized cuben bridge hammock. I read somewhere that you get the benefit of radiant reflective heat from a space blanket or other reflective surface as long as you're not in contact with it, and a layer of fleece (how heavy?) might be thick enough. A light alpaca blanket might be perfect. Anyone know any sources?

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I've been looking for a thin insulating layer to use on top of an aluminized cuben bridge hammock. I read somewhere that you get the benefit of radiant reflective heat from a space blanket or other reflective surface as long as you're not in contact with it, and a layer of fleece (how heavy?) might be thick enough. A light alpaca blanket might be perfect. Anyone know any sources?
    would you layer the mylar blanket inside with the alpaca fleece along with another very thin layer of light fleece?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    A quick Google search turned up a lot of hits. This site seems to include the weight of the blankets (I have no idea if those weights are accurate, though). There are several E-Bay listings if you want to find something on the cheap.

My understanding of reflective materials in insulation is...less-than-robust...but it would seem that the reason you won't want to be in contact with the surface is because the majority of reflective materials are very good conductors (aluminum comes to mind) compared to the usual insulation materials we use.

Hope it helps.

putuco on ebay has nice blankets at affordable prices.

http://myworld.ebay.com.au/putuco/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by two isles View Post
    would you layer the mylar blanket inside with the alpaca fleece along with another very thin layer of light fleece?
    No, I have some of the aluminized cuben, which may have been produced in a limited run (there is some question about whether it is suitable for tarps). I would make the hammock out of the reflective cuben and use the alpaca layer on top of it to prevent heat loss by conduction (if it works).

thankyou all my friends for your input & advice
    still trying to figure out what to use for the shell..

i saw a similar thread where they were discussing using thin wool suiting fabric for the lining. (AROUND 320 GRAMS/METRE.) could maybe even use a silk/wool blend to make it lighter.
    might it be ok to use ripstop nylon or it would not be breathable enough?

poly/cotton got a mention.
    does anyone have any thoughts on using bamboo? it has some insulation properties.

ow what to use..
    maybe ill just go with a heavier silk?

Each silk momme is equal to about 3.62 grams per square yard or 4.33 grams per square meter.
    8 momme is close to 1 oz per square yard or 34 g/m^2.

The usual range of momme weight for different weaves of silk are:

Habutai – 5 to 16 mm
    Chiffon – 6 to 8 mm (can be made in double thickness, i.e. 12 to 16 mm)
    Crepe de Chine – 12 to 16 mm
    Gauze – 3 to 5 mm
    Raw silk – 35 to 40 mm (heavier silks appear more 'wooly')
    Organza – 4 to 6 mm
    Charmeuse – 12 to 30 mm –

The higher the momme, the more durable the weave, and the more suitable it is for heavy-duty use.
    Last edited by TinFoilHatsFTW; 01-02-2012 at 07:21.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast