Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images

Savage Gulf vs Linville Gorge

Ok my ditch experts, let me hear from y'all.
    Who here as done both Linville Gorge NC and Savage Gulf in Middle Tn?
    "Better" is such a vague term but which would you call the better hike or trip?
    I suppose views, water sources, distance of hikes, ease be able to navigate
    camp sites all could be used as measuring sticks.

I have been to SG twice and enjoyed it very much both times it was winter and all the leaves were off the trees and the skies were overcast. I would like to make it back in the spring or fall some time.

Linville Gorge is SO far from West Tn but I sure would like to visit some day.

Thanks for the input,
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Images
    BEAS you may have already posted over there, but just in case you haven't, ask your question over at LinevilleGorge.net.

http://www.linvillegorge.net/smf/index.php
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Save LG for when there is no ice or snow as the amount of rocks can be quite daunting. Savage Gulf would be much more maintained since LG is a designated wilderness.
    LG is also not your best option in the summer as it can become quite overgrown and the temps and humidity can be pretty hideous.
    In other words, if you want to go down and see all of LG, do it in the spring or fall. There are several areas that are quite good outside of those seasons in LG, but hiking in the east rim is not very safe in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Save LG for when there is no ice or snow as the amount of rocks can be quite daunting. Savage Gulf would be much more maintained since LG is a designated wilderness.
    LG is also not your best option in the summer as it can become quite overgrown and the temps and humidity can be pretty hideous.
    In other words, if you want to go down and see all of LG, do it in the spring or fall. There are several areas that are quite good outside of those seasons in LG, but hiking in the east rim is not very safe in winter.
    Not very safe in general, saw 1 pair of hikers and an hour later they were coming back towards us with bloody hands from a spill and hiking pole incident. I sprained my own ankle 15 minutes onto the trail. If I had to deal with ice and snow on top of it, it'd be absolutely no fun anymore.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Linville Gorge....bring ice cleats........careful driving up there.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    HH Storm Hex
    Insulation
    Reflectix & pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Stonedoor or Hobbs cabin at SG is awesome this time a year.
    War **** Eagle! Glory Glory Man United

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yep. My son and I walked in one winter day a couple of years ago. The trail was like a luge run. We were hanging onto saplings and trying to step onto broken snow to stay off the icy center.

I came home and bought some Yak Traks for us.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    No comparison. Spent 3 days backpacking/hanging in Savage Gulf sometime this year...too many trips into THE gorge (Linville) too count over the years (its 19 miles as the crow from my house near Roan)....even climbed to Sitting Bear and most pass it up when in the area.
    Linville Gorge IS serious-not that Savage Gulf isn't but the tread is 5x as hard in THE gorge and in Savage the rangers come (via hidden 4x4 trails) each night to make sure you are where you're supposed to be. Beauty...both beautiful in their own way-Savage is a gem where you don't expect one-Linville Gorge has that draw dropping view, well many of them-most of Table Rock and Hawks Bill....
    Winter hiking-go Savage-doubt 'cleats' would be needed unless something freek happened weatherwise.
    Heck, just go to both-each has its own special flavor; but if I had a noob to introduce to backpacking and the joys of living with all you need for life on your back it would be Savage-do the loop so the oh so inviting pool and waterfall are at the end and bring those trunks.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Jus' looked up Savage Gulf State Natural Area... fascinating place! I'd like to go sometime.

The elevation change is about 800' in Savage Gulf, compared to 2,500' in The Gorge, which includes a couple of peaks over 4,000' high.

There are places in The Gorge that are inaccessible. The rangers don't take 4x4s into the Gorge... heck, for the most part the rangers stay out of the gorge!

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Jus' looked up Savage Gulf State Natural Area... fascinating place! I'd like to go sometime.

The elevation change is about 800' in Savage Gulf, compared to 2,500' in The Gorge, which includes a couple of peaks over 4,000' high.

There are places in The Gorge that are inaccessible. The rangers don't take 4x4s into the Gorge... heck, for the most part the rangers stay out of the gorge!

heard about a guy who was rock climbing there and it was a relatively easy rated climb. He'd done it many times before. Something went wrong and he fell, his safety anchor caught him (his 3rd after the other two failed) and he wasn't able to be evacuated for something like 12 hours because rescue crews couldn't access him. They warn you in the descriptions that this is a designated wilderness area and you are essentially on your own, so prepare accordingly.

• + New Posts