GT Single
    Tarp
    Henny Hex 70D
    Insulation
    DIY Peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps

Lightbulb TQ and UQ thought...

Has anyone got a regular sleeping bag and opened the bottom up for a TQ and UQ combo?
    Desiel®
    Hanging Noob
    "If you can't change it, don't worry about it."
    -Me

“All you need is 20 seconds and insane courage, and I promise you something great will come of it.”

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Desiel View Post
    Has anyone got a regular sleeping bag and opened the bottom up for a TQ and UQ combo?
    no... you can make only one out of a sleeping bag
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Henny Hex 70D
    Insulation
    DIY Peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    hmm I'm gonna have to find a cheap rectangle sleeping bag and give it a try. I my head you could open the bottom of the bag up and put your hammock through it.
    Desiel®
    Hanging Noob
    -Me

“All you need is 20 seconds and insane courage, and I promise you something great will come of it.”

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    ok i see what you are trying to do... what your looking to do is make a PeaPod
    when you said UQ and TQ combo to me that means cutting it up to make both
    but yes you can make a Peapod out of a sleeping bag ... if it has 2 zippers it's easy to do

Hammock
    BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

sleeping bag peapods rule

Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    ok i see what you are trying to do... what your looking to do is make a PeaPod
    when you said UQ and TQ combo to me that means cutting it up to make both
    but yes you can make a Peapod out of a sleeping bag ... if it has 2 zippers it's easy to do
    I use my down mummy bags as peapods year-round. A 40 degree bag works great in spring and summer. A 15 degree bag has taken me comfortably down to 5 degrees in windy winter nights, with some supplemental clothing.

I've never tried a TQ/UQ, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. But by finding super bargain deals on very nice quality down mummy bags and using them as peapods, I have saved a bundle. I also do not have to worry about all the fiddling around to set them up correctly like I hear you have to do with underquilts. You don't have any risk of air leaking or cold infiltrating in gaps when using a mummy bag as a peapod, compared to underquilts, which sound pretty fiddly to me to avoid cold air leaks. I'm 5 ft 10, and weigh 150. I use a Kelty Lightyear Down 40 degree and Sierra Designs Nitro 15 degree. Both have separate little short zippers in the footbox -- essential for pulling the hammock through the bag. My summer hammock in buggy areas is a Byer Moskito Traveler, and in winter and non-buggy times a Grand Trunk Nano 7.

Your results may vary. Hang your own hammock. Hike your own hike. Rock on. Up with people.

Hammock
    11ft DIY
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I used to do that until I made my uq. It works pretty well and is nice and warm. The only problem I had was that the bag was not wide enough for me to lay on the diagonal so I couldn't get very flat. I had considered making an insert to widen the circumference but at that point I realized it would just be easier to may an uq.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by motorapido View Post
    I use my down mummy bags as peapods year-round. A 40 degree bag works great in spring and summer. A 15 degree bag has taken me comfortably down to 5 degrees in windy winter nights, with some supplemental clothing.

I've never tried a TQ/UQ, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. But by finding super bargain deals on very nice quality down mummy bags and using them as peapods, I have saved a bundle. I also do not have to worry about all the fiddling around to set them up correctly like I hear you have to do with underquilts. You don't have any risk of air leaking or cold infiltrating in gaps when using a mummy bag as a peapod, compared to underquilts, which sound pretty fiddly to me to avoid cold air leaks. I'm 5 ft 10, and weigh 150. I use a Kelty Lightyear Down 40 degree and Sierra Designs Nitro 15 degree. Both have separate little short zippers in the footbox -- essential for pulling the hammock through the bag. My summer hammock in buggy areas is a Byer Moskito Traveler, and in winter and non-buggy times a Grand Trunk Nano 7.

Your results may vary. Hang your own hammock. Hike your own hike. Rock on. Up with people.
    i don't know where you heard UQ were hard to use or you need to fiddle with them
    all the UQ's i ever used were very easy just hang them and go .....
    there are a few that do need to be dialed in but once you do that there set..
    you should find a hang close to you and go check out a few rigs up close
    might get a better idea about UQ's and how they work

Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Henny Hex 70D
    Insulation
    DIY Peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by motorapido View Post

I'm 5 ft 10, and weigh 150. I use a Kelty Lightyear Down 40 degree and Sierra Designs Nitro 15 degree. Both have separate little short zippers in the footbox -- essential for pulling the hammock through the bag. My summer hammock in buggy areas is a Byer Moskito Traveler, and in winter and non-buggy times a Grand Trunk Nano 7.

Ah a peapod sorry I am just getting into hammocking and actually my hammock is in the mail. Motor do ya have any pics of your set up? Do the bags come with the zipper in the bottom?

The reason I was thinking a rectangle was because they are wider than the mummys generally.
    Desiel®
    Hanging Noob
    -Me

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Did it with my WM 20º Alpinlite bag.......this video is winter so I have some other down in there with me. With the bag alone there is a gap over my chest so a top quilt or even a vest or jacket can fill that some.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Henny Hex 70D
    Insulation
    DIY Peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    @Shug What would you say that the comfortable temp would be with just the pod and no UQ?
    Desiel®
    Hanging Noob
    -Me

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast