Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Suspension
    whoopies
    One fateful hike, my friend only brought a fleece blanket to keep warm (tent). I had my hammock set-up...uq and tq. I felt sorry for her the 2nd night when the temps dropped again. I gave her my uq(down) and hung a spare tent footprint under the hammock and put an emergency blanket in between the footprint and the hammock. It was not the most beautiful set-up, but I stayed relatively warm. If you are just trying to avoid the wind, I don't think you need the 2 layers of fleece. The tyvek alone will work, albeit ugly.
    It's better to be lucky, than good!

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by bloffy13 View Post
    Chatooga. Oops slip of the fingers. Hope it didn't cause offence. You are welcome to use but remember to pay royalties when you do.
    I was out with my scout troop last night and it was cooler, wet and rainy.
    Hung nice and high and dry. My Hang Pad (That's what I am going to call it from now on, unless something better springs to mind - Brains Trust, suggestions are welcome.) was better tested as it was much cooler than the first time. I think it actually worked better than the first time. I didn't have any cold spots and, with just light tracksuit pants, a light T-shirt and a fluffy vest I slept very well. Pad stayed under me better - possibly because I have "broken the grain" of the Tyvek - and I just used my sleeping bag as a quilt.
    They all thought I was crazy hammocking but a couple of the scouts said they were cold overnight but that could be that they weren't all that experienced as campers, too.
    Also, going to have a spare carabiner on my pack so I can hang it from a tree as I saw suggested somewhere here. The rain made the fine soil stick to everything and my shoulder straps and waist belt on my Alice pack were damp and covered in sand this morning, despite a pack cover. I figure to hang it off my carabiner attached to the tree. At worst then I should only, maybe, get a slightly damp waist belt.
    Out again in a fortnight. Will trial it then and see how it goes.
    Yes, yes, yes. The pix are coming. They're taken but in my daughter's camera at the moment. Will try and download them tomorrow or so.....
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    Good job on your experiment and keeping us informed. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice to hear about your results. Hope you thanked SWMBO properly.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

New Member The Pooka MacPhellimey's Avatar
    Hammock
    BIAS WW, HH & many more
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammockgear UQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/whoopie

Thumbs up

shug said;

My thought is just hang something outside the hammock...like a weather-shield. Boosts warmth. It can be tough to manage loose material "in the hammock".

Whatever you do...let us know the results.
    Shug

Hey Bloffy and Shug,

I'm in Australia so this thread is of interest to me I spend time in all sorts of climate including the Bloffy one!

I need a lighter bottom insulation option.

I've got a HH BP asym (Velcro entry)

In australia it's the bugs that bother me so this bug net system is good for me.

(I don't like the snakes or the crocs or the red back spiders much either buts it's the bugs and the Hoons that really annoy me)

So I'm thinking on how to get to where Bloffy is going....

I could get the HH insulation system with the entry but I go to ground a lot and the open foam doesn't float my boat.

The under cover is the same weight at the VERY handy Grand Trunk Nano 7....

With a bottom entry HH BP asym will I be able to use a light "full" hammock like that and be able to get out through the bottom?

I'm thinking I could rig a shock cord to pull it to one side or just flip my foot over the edge.

Then I have a spare room in my cold weather kit..... And I know ill get a lot of use out of theNano 7.

Then getting back to Bloffy;

I was thinking of a more multipurpose light insulation option.

I want to try the Exped multimat or something similar.

That gives me an insulating mat that's nice and wide and won't slip too much.

I can augment that with a survival reflecting blanket thing!

It's light but a bit bulky. BUT I might get my multiuse fix out if I use it as a ground sheet, seat, sleeping mat or possibly a "bath tub" under me if I'm going to ground and it's properly wet?!?

I'm interested in what you guys think as Bloffy and I are in the same part of the world & light insulation is what I would like AND I have no doubt that Shug will have either tried this or seen someone try it.

I've seen a review of the multimat as insulation in a hammock with fair success.

Does anyone know a mat better than theat Multimat by Exped that will be good as insulation and can function as a Pad?

I would think a lot of hangers that are forced to ground have thought about this ?

Eh?

Ta.

The Pooka

(And I love the voice-over-man that Shug found for the "4 season 4 door Cat Cut Cuben Fibre Tarp"...... We've got to get him back for some seriously serious reviews of seriously serious equipment!!)
    Last edited by The Pooka MacPhellimey; 04-29-2012 at 02:36. Reason: Spelling and an additional question for the HF crew

Yay more Aussies! If I have learn't one thing with hammocking it is that when you live in Australia be damned well sure what you want as you always have to get it from the states!

New Member The Pooka MacPhellimey's Avatar
    Hammock
    BIAS WW, HH & many more
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammockgear UQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/whoopie
    Im actually Irish but my children are Aussies and I'm a subscriber to the lucky country theory!

I've already found a lot of good things that are not here or are a lot cheaper in the US of A

There are a bunch of bigger US retailers that ship here for free but I don't know about the ones that carry hammocks and related stuff.

Maybe we could get a little Aussie Thread going.

I live in Taipan country so I reckon this Islam ideal place to get off the ground.

Being Irish I've not really come to terms with the snakes!

I just yelp and start thanking St Patrick for the fine fine work he did in Ireland!

The Pooka

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123