Tarp
    DIY and cuban
    Insulation
    HG and DIY
    Suspension
    whoopie and dutch
    Images

Adjustable Structural Ridgeline help

Hey there. I picked up an Adjustable Structural Ridgeline from Stu @ whoopieslings dot com (good guy!). I attached it per his recommendations on my eno doublenest, but I'm wondering how tight it's supposed to be? It seems pretty tight when I have it where I want it and I'm afraid I'm going to snap it one of these times. Also, it seems too long, anyone have that trouble? I could tighten it all the way and I still think I could use some more sag in my hammock. Am I hanging my hammock wrong?

Oh, in case you're wondering I'm using whoopie slings and tree straps for my suspension with my eno doublenest.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Suspension
    Button Suspension
    Well, structural ridge lines are there to set the desired minimum amount of sag. Anything more than just taut is too tight, in my opinion. All that is happening after that point is that you are putting more tension on the trees. But I am confused about it being too long. If you need to pull it very tight to get it where you like it, how can it be too long?

Anyway, 83% of your hammock is a good starting point.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Lost River
    Suspension
    Dyneema/BB
    I think what he means by "too long" is that the each end of sling is attached to the bunched ends on the ENO and you cant tighten it enough to get to 86~" / 83% mark. I have had the same issue with my ENO DN. I am convinced that a 6' person cannot lay flat in a ENO DN. A happy medium must be made and for me that is a ridgeline that will hold up my bug net...............

Hammock
    DIY, Dangerbird, Night Owl, Eno Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY and cuban
    Insulation
    HG and DIY
    Suspension
    whoopie and dutch
    Images
    I guess that is what I meant by saying it is too long in that even at it's shortest my ridgeline is still not short enough to give me the sag that I want. However, even if I could get it to sag where I want it the ridgeline would be really tight. I've heard on a few posts a good place to start for an eno ridgeline is 100", but when I set mine at 100 it's way too loose. Am I hanging my hammock all wrong?
    Last edited by watertones; 01-01-2012 at 02:52.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Lost River
    Suspension
    Dyneema/BB
    Quote Originally Posted by watertones View Post
    I guess that is what I meant by saying it is too long in that even at it's shortest my ridgeline is still not short enough to give me the sag that I want. However, even if I could get it to sag where I want it the ridgeline would be really tight. I've heard on a few posts a good place to start for an eno ridgeline is 100", but when I set mine at 100 it's way too loose. Am I hanging my hammock all wrong?
    You are right. To get an 83% ridgeline length on a ENO DN you would need it at 86" since the whole hammock is 140". With a ridgeline of that length you need to run you ridgline thru the bunched end and then back toward the other end again (doubling back) and use a figure nine or another not to secure the end of your ridgline. The recommendation of 100" is going to leave you with a slack line.
    So you have to find a spot that is suitable and live with it. IMO, a structural ridgline for an ENO DN for someone 6' or more is something for accessories like a bug net etc.
    Maybe I'm doing it wrong too. I have spent a considerable amount of time with it though. If you find something different, report back because I would like to hear about it.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by watertones View Post
    Whoopieslings.com states their Adjustable Structural Ridgeline adjusts down to 82" so I would think you could get proper sag using it.

Lay your hammock out flat (without a ridgeline) and measure the distance between the suspension attachment points. Install the ridgeline and set it for 83% of the measured hammock length. This is a normal starting length for the ridgeline and can be tweaked from there for individual preference.

If the ridgeline is too tight (has too much tension on it) at your preferred setting, it indicates the hammock suspension is set up at too shallow of an angle. Raise the tree straps and lengthen the suspension to get an angle closer to 30*.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFan View Post
    You are right. To get an 83% ridgeline length on a ENO DN you would need it at 86" since the whole hammock is 140"...
    0.83 x 140 = 116.2...not 86.

However, eno lists the doublenest at 118".

0.83 x 118" = ~98".

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    HG cuban
    Insulation
    Baby Orca UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    If you have whoopie slings as a suspension, and have simply ran the whoopies thru the end channels of your hammock, you could affix you ridge line inside the whoopie eyes of your suspension and adjust accordingly. That's what I've done...no xtra hardware needed.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Lost River
    Suspension
    Dyneema/BB
    My bad. I meant 104" not 140". I think Eno published length is the total with their suspension system in place, including carabiners. My DN actual measurement from bunched end to bunched end is only 104". Maybe I got a Chinese second? Unless we are measuring slings too then it puts the RL at ~86".

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe check out JustJeff's site for some ridgeline info......very handy!
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock4.html
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast