Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Well even though my UQ was sliding around last night I slept better than my operations sergeant major. He has the same hammock as me, but doesn't have a hex fly or UQ and he bailed in the middle of the night and slept in the big sleep tents.

I think I've got it dialed in for tonight and luckily it'll be in the mid to high 50's overnight for the rest of the week.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jayf124 View Post
    Take a look at Dutch's quilt hooks. http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/feat...e-quilt-hooks/

Lots of great feedback about those here on the forums too. Here a recent thread that talks about them. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=50690

Hope this helps.

AATW! RLTW!

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne Trooper View Post
    I will definitely check that out when I get back home. I have another 6 or 7 days sleeping out here in the field so I'd like to find a remedy for this I can do without any more accessories. Should I just not use the side tie outs from the hammock?
    Consider a safety pin until you can get some Dutch hooks. Or if there is a way to make the cord on your shoulder side shorter than the other side, then when you tighten up you will be tighter on the shoulder side. Less likely to slip off of that shoulder then.

Unless you need the tie outs to keep the hammock/net off of your face, don't worry about them. Lot's of hammocks don't have them, and your quilt will curve around you better without them.

I am wondering about the warmth rating for these quilts. Has any one used them way beyond 30? The reason I ask is: at AHE web site, Paul says he uses a layer of 6 oz CS with 2" of loft. Does he mean 6 oz/sq.yd.? Other places rate 5 oz/sq.yd of CS, with 1.2" loft, with a CLO of ~ 4 to about 20F if everything else is perfect. In a similar way, they rate a clo of 2 ( 2.5 oz CS XP or Apex) to ~ 40F, and I have been warm to mid/hi 40s with that and nothing else but cotton tee shirt.

So if AHE is using 6 oz/sq.yd CS Apex or XP, seems to me like 30 would be a very conservative rating?

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    It was in the 40s last night and even though my Jarbidge kept sliding I still slept very warm. I wouldn't be able to sleep in just a cotton shirt though. I slept in my ACU pants, shirt, grid fleece jacket, and used my field SB w/ gortex liner as a top quilt. I'm 5'5 and with the proper adjustments and sleeping fetal position it covers me from head to toe. I plan on ordering some AHE Triangle Thingies when I get back.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I have a Jarbridge with my WBBB. I have had to 30 without any problem. I think Paul is pretty conservative with his ratings. It sometimes slips off my left shoulder, but not very often. I keep the zippers of the WBBB closed by my face. I sometimes unzip and reach out to make sure the left shoulder is up where it should be, and then I fall asleep. I have the Triangle thingys. I first used them on both the head and feet end, but just this weekend I removed the head end one. It was making the shock cord cut into my head when I slept on my left side. I found out I didn't really need it. The foot one, however, helps keep the right foot side shock cord from cutting into my ankle. I think it is dialed in pretty good now. It is a well-made piece.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    All my UQs seem to lip to one side at some point during the night. No big deal. I contribute this my turning (back to side and side to back) in the hammock. When I get cold on one slide I just reach over and under the hammock and pull the UQ back into place and I am warm again. No big deal. Just used my Jarbridge 3S down into the mid 30's this weekend.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    3 Season Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies

pack size?

I know they show the picture of it compressed next to the snapple bottle on the website, but I was wondering if any actual owner could give me the complete dimensions when it's packed?

I'm running out of space in my pack, and time before my thru hike...bottom insulation is my last big piece, and I'd hate for it to not fit inside..

Hammock
    DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images
    With a thermarest and the UQ I've slept comfortable at 6F.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    3 Season Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Girotogo View Post
    With a thermarest and the UQ I've slept comfortable at 6F.
    what sort of clothing were you wearing? that's promising.

Hammock
    DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images
    set of thermals, fleece pants and a primaloft jacket and a balaclava. I also threw a fleece blanket over my ridgeline as a top cover. I was very toasty.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nack View Post
    I know they show the picture of it compressed next to the snapple bottle on the website, but I was wondering if any actual owner could give me the complete dimensions when it's packed?

I'm running out of space in my pack, and time before my thru hike...bottom insulation is my last big piece, and I'd hate for it to not fit inside..
    nothing wrong with starting a new thread!

I'd suggest that other things should be ditched in favour of under insulation.

Some people pack their quilts loose in the bottom of their packs so that instead of plugs to fit, they are squidgy and fill in gaps.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast