One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Black hammock .. Black U/Q ... ended up on the ground with a WTF ?? At night with all Black it took me a minute to figure out what had just happened .. other then the obvious .. I was laying on the ground and not in my hammock .. I NOW make certain the the edges of my hammock ARE over my U/Q before entry ...
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    Black hammock .. Black U/Q ... ended up on the ground with a WTF ?? At night with all Black it took me a minute to figure out what had just happened .. other then the obvious .. I was laying on the ground and not in my hammock .. I NOW make certain the the edges of my hammock ARE over my U/Q before entry ...
    Black hammock/black UQ for the Black Wolf? Dangerous combo!

I'm glad to see so many fess up to this. When I remember to, or am willing to share my idiocy, I sometimes confess my experience during debates of bottom entry vs side. As one of the advantages of bottom entry. I don't think you could do this with the B.E. style HH.

Green hammock/Green PeaPod/middle of the night. Once as a relative Noob, didn't realize it could happen that easy. The other just a few months ago on my Sawtooth trip. With this combo, you really have to pay visual attention to make sure you have not failed to grab both edges(hidden inside the PeaPod) of the hammock and opened it up. Not difficult at all, but don't forget to do it. I did forget, sat down on a narrow strip of hammock instead of inside the hammock, and flipped over on my back. Fortunately I was only high enough off the ground for the PeaPod not to touch when I was in the hammock. Still, it hurt and knocked the breath out of me and left a sore rib for quite a while. I remember I was thankful it was my grassy backyard and not rocky ground.

Go forward about 4 years to this fall in ID, and danged if I didn't do exactly the same thing with the same gear. This time the ground was rocky, but I didn't actually get injured or sore enough to pay attention to. Maybe I quickly realized what was happening and was somehow able to slow my descent? But I missed some nasty rocks jutting up from the ground by inches. That would have been bad.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-02-2012 at 12:46.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    As one of the advantages of bottom entry. I don't think you could do this with the B.E. style HH.
    The over the side to the ground is not likely in a bottom entry. But trust me... sitting in the underquilt instead of the hammock IS. It is even worse with the super shelter because the fabric feels much the same. At least with an underquilt you can feel the soft puffy and know you've grabbed the wrong thing.

Yeppers... it is all fun and games until someone gets hurt.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    11ft DIY
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I've done this too. First time i tried out my UQ actually. fortunately for me, the day before my wife had raked a big pile of leaves right under where i was hanging my hammock so i had a soft landing. She was watching and all she could say was "and you want me to use one of those things?" Of course when she eventually did try it out, she loved it.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    *20 Phoenix
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I am just about to get my first UQ. Thanks for all the warnings. I am sure somewhere along the way I will have my own story to add. I just hope it is not for a while and maybe only in my back yard with all the neighbors out of town!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Been there, done that, feel your pain. Like the others, its worse when you have witnesses!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    The over the side to the ground is not likely in a bottom entry. But trust me... sitting in the underquilt instead of the hammock IS. It is even worse with the super shelter because the fabric feels much the same. At least with an underquilt you can feel the soft puffy and know you've grabbed the wrong thing.

Yeppers... it is all fun and games until someone gets hurt.
    When I first used it, trying to tell the hammock fabric from the SS gave me a lot of grief. Same color, similar feel, close together. So I can see sitting in the UC by accident, especially at night. But I think it would be less traumatic for most folks to sit straight down than to flip over backwards. Plus you would have more chance to realize that there was no support as you sat, and reverse course hopefully. So I can see it is possible but I think I'd take that over flipping over on my back.

But while I can see it is possible to sit down with no support under you, I have never even come close to this in the HH or HHSS, not even the first miserable night I used it. Probably because I knew it was hard (at 1st) to find the entrance and tell it from the UC ( always thought it sucked there was no color coding, things could have been so much easier), so I was always taking the time to sort it out. Plus, I never sat down until I was obviously inside the correct opening with the ridge line bumping into my head and the hammock bottom tight up against me.

But sitting straight down or flipping over backwards, unexpectedly ending up on the ground is no fun.

However, 1st night ever in a hammock(HHSS) I did end up sleeping in the netting. I somehow unknowingly rotated the entire hammock and SS while performing acrobatics related to getting all the way in my sleeping bag. I never did get all the way in, and when I woke up shivering about 0200 at 22F, I could not find the bottom entry to get out. Once I turned my headlight on I realized the opening ( BE ) was above me, and I had been laying in the netting for some unknown period of time. I remain amazed that the netting held me with no apparent damage. If it had given way I would have fallen several feet to rocky ground. And I thought that 1st night was miserable as it was!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-02-2012 at 13:48.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Yep, "been there, done that, got the tee shirt"
    I'm sure that now I look like a NOOB getting in my hammock, but: I go slowly, make sure I have the hammock & not the UQ, AND that I'm in the right place on my hammock, IE not too far in or not far enough, etc.

Did you notice how that less than a second it took to hit the ground seemed like minutes? I had time to think: WTF? OH, I'm falling! Yea, this is going to hurt,,, a Lot. Got to protect my head. OUCH / OOOF!

I too lay there a while sorting out if I was hurt & what had happened. turns out I had totally missed the hammock, sat in the UQ, broke the suspension at the foot end, but nothing else. Well, my ego was a bit bruised, but nothing important was hurt.
    Last edited by Doctari; 01-03-2012 at 12:30.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    haven't done this myself but I've seen it happen to others a couple of times.
    Wondering what will happen if this occurs to a hammock equipped with the soon-to-be-released quilt hooks Dutch has cooked up? Maybe he needs to think about a quick release lever, kind of like ski bindings
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Hi, I'm Russ and welcome to the 12 step hammock recovery program. If you have fallen, slipped, tripped, stumbled or fallen out of your hammock, your at the right place. Your among friends here.
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast