BIAS Weight Weenie / Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    +1! Something insulated...hrm...maybe packed forest duff or pine boughs under a thin nylon or canvas tarp? I dunno.

I remember a story I read years ago about how some of the huts in Siberia that got gas heaters for the first time under the Soviets wound up melting a foot or two down into the permafrost during winter. Not a fun time, for certain...
    I should have taken a darn photo of the hole the stove left in the snow. It melted right down to the ground. Looked like it would have made a great indoor toilet if I had had a seat!

Does anyone know if there are such things as snow pans for under wood burners? I remember hearing about it, but don't recall where. Would a lightweight sheet of metal (titanium maybe?) rolled out to set the stove on, prevent this?
    2new2hang

I know not how to aid you, save in the assurance of one of mature age, and much severe experience, that you can not fail, if you resolutely determine, that you will not.

Abraham Lincoln
    --July 22, 1860

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Make a platform of wood for the stove. A couple of logs should work fine.

maybe try a Zlite sit pad wrapped in a mylar blanket. super light weight, dual purpose and CHEAP. I'd give it a test run to make sure the mylar can handle the heat but if it were myself I'd be fairly confident it will work. I've used mylar blankets to rig some pretty gnarly stuff and am always surprised at how the material doesn't heat up, but reflects it. Thought I was gonna send it up in flames a couple times but it took me actually putting it in the fire to get it to melt.. and melt is all it did, no flames.

Should be lighter than a pan, dual purpose and it's packable, you don't have to process it everytime you set up camp.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    FourDog makes stove pans for inside tents.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Make a platform of wood for the stove. A couple of logs should work fine.
    That seems pretty straightforward. BTW, one other lesson learned on this past trip, for those of you who are Noobs like me and think everything works like they say it does (although I think "they" have never been outside other than between their home/cars/work/home). I took a small (i.e. 10") foldable hand saw from Coleman to cut small branch size, 2-3 inch diameter logs for the stove. Being older, fatter, and generally less in shape (think winded playing chess), cutting those devils with that tiny wobbley saw, was a classic pain in the keester. Next time, lightweight (see, I'm learning), collapsable, saw (Sven Saw maybe?). Should make the task a tad easier.
    2new2hang

I know not how to aid you, save in the assurance of one of mature age, and much severe experience, that you can not fail, if you resolutely determine, that you will not.

Abraham Lincoln
    --July 22, 1860

Hammock
    Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    maybe try a Zlite sit pad wrapped in a mylar blanket. super light weight, dual purpose and CHEAP. I'd give it a test run to make sure the mylar can handle the heat but if it were myself I'd be fairly confident it will work. I've used mylar blankets to rig some pretty gnarly stuff and am always surprised at how the material doesn't heat up, but reflects it. Thought I was gonna send it up in flames a couple times but it took me actually putting it in the fire to get it to melt.. and melt is all it did, no flames.

Should be lighter than a pan, dual purpose and it's packable, you don't have to process it everytime you set up camp.
    Thanks Slo,
    This may work, but I gotta tell you, the stove gets hot to the point that it will turn cherry red. Important to stay on top of the damper, or it could get out of hand I would imagine. I've never used mylar over something like you're talking about, but it would certainly be worth a try.
    2new2hang

Abraham Lincoln
    --July 22, 1860

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    FourDog also sells Bob Dustrade collapsible saws... I love mine!

For a tiny saw, I got a Opinel... blade much thicker for it's length than the others.

2New2Hang, it won't be long before you are the one telling us what works and what doesn't!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    FourDog also sells Bob Dustrade collapsible saws... I love mine!

For a tiny saw, I got a Opinel... blade much thicker for it's length than the others.

2New2Hang, it won't be long before you are the one telling us what works and what doesn't!
    Hey Mac,
    I got a laugh out of that!! That'll be the day my friend! There is soooo much knowledge from the folks here, testing things everyday, most folks here (including you, by the way) have forgotten more about this stuff, than I could ever learn!!

I did see Four Dogs Bob Dustrade's saws. I'll be placing an order for one of those. A 90 year old WWII vet knows a bit about things I would think!
    2new2hang

Abraham Lincoln
    --July 22, 1860

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2new2hang View Post
    Thanks Slo,
    This may work, but I gotta tell you, the stove gets hot to the point that it will turn cherry red. Important to stay on top of the damper, or it could get out of hand I would imagine. I've never used mylar over something like you're talking about, but it would certainly be worth a try.
    I know this probably goes without saying, but I'm gonna say it anyway: DON'T try this inside your tarp the first time you do it. Fighting a fire from inside a cloth shelter is not going to be fun if something goes wrong.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ok, so thus far, to cut down the winter condensation issues, I've figured I need to:
    1. Ventilate, ventilate, ventilate.

2. Maybe try a bit of vapor barrior usage.

3. Use some sort of bib to keep condensation off of me (while making sure not to choke myself to death).

4. Dress lighter when hitting the sack.

5. Put a pan/wood/mylar coverd medium under my stove to keep the China Syndrome from happening.

6. Pick up a better collapsable saw to keep from having a stroke while cutting wood for the stove, thereby illiminating the need to worry about any of this, and only having to focus on picking up some extra life insurance for my family.
    Last edited by 2new2hang; 01-02-2012 at 22:35.
    2new2hang

Abraham Lincoln
    --July 22, 1860

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast