BIAS Weight Weenie / Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So does the weather shield have any kind of vent opening near your face?

Do you think you were warm enough to actually sweat? Even if you did not notice sweat, it could have been absorbed into your various layers of insulation.
    Hey BB58 Thanks very much for your post. You know, I have no idea of the weight of the gear when I got back (Good note to self though, to do this next time).
    I can imagine that I would have been sweating during the night. I had a lot of insulation on me. I did experience a bit of CBS during the night, but I think it could have been my imagination. When placing my hands underneath me, it appeared that it wasn't really cold, so I could have been tossing around a bit and just believed that it was cold underneath me.
    The weather shield on the Clark can be completely zipped away, as well as only vented a bit. I should have done that, and will experiement with it next trip out next month. It was odd that all of the moisture I experienced was either directly on top of my TQ, or above me on the weather shield. Once I got out of the hammock and had the top unzipped and pulled back, the moisture dried up and I seemed to be fine.
    One thing I really love about the Clark is the weather shield. I could imagine that for some, it would impart a bit of a claustrophobic sensation. For me, it is a bit comforting and cozy. I guess I'd make a good vampire, or I was a butterfly in a past life. Probably subconciously I look to burst forth from my tubby catepillar body and become a svelte butterfly (probably in my case, one of those fat fuzzy moths...)
    Thanks again for your input. I'll be working on this next go-around.
    2new2hang

I know not how to aid you, save in the assurance of one of mature age, and much severe experience, that you can not fail, if you resolutely determine, that you will not.

Abraham Lincoln
    --July 22, 1860

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie / Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    This has been very interesting and very informative and quite funny. Thank you all for the info and entertainment. I have the NX-250 and when it is cold, I always unzip the WS just a bit above my face. No condensation issues. I have only experienced low 30's so far.
    Heh BajaHanger,
    Thanks. Yes, that's good advice. I think this is indeed the crux of my problems. Too much enclosure and not enough ventilation. I am going to be giving this another go and will be sure to unzip the WS a bit on the Clark.
    Mac had mentioned to me that he recommended a very thin fabric for the sock he made me. I am continuing to see his wisdom coming to fruition. I am dumbfounded at the amount of moisture the is produced from a human being in breath and body persperation. That could equal a very dangerous situation in very cold weather (heck, fairly cold weather), if you were unable to maintain insulation. I'll let everyone know how my experimentation works out.
    2new2hang

I know not how to aid you, save in the assurance of one of mature age, and much severe experience, that you can not fail, if you resolutely determine, that you will not.

Abraham Lincoln
    --July 22, 1860

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345