View Poll Results: Miles or Fishing Smiles? & Will you be coming?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Miles

11 29.73%
  • Fishing Smiles

18 48.65%
  • I will be there!

6 16.22%
  • I will not be making it.

10 27.03%
  • Maybe/Want to/Going to try to come

16 43.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Idaho Hang III

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Ok trying to work on the Tenkara Fishing plans for the hang.

Of those that are 100% sure that they are coming to the hang, how many of you are interested in doing some Tenkara? Who is interested in my putting on a Tenkara Clinic to teach you about it and how many are ok with having it be a paid clinic to cover the cost of the gear (lines, flies, tippet, and so on)? I will be bringing just as much gear as is necessary to set up those folks that want to give Tenkara a try. I'll have discounts on the rods if anyone want to buy them but will be including them in the demo gear as a loaner/demo situation for those that want to do the clinic. I just don't want to end up with 20 rods sitting in my car for a week

What I am thinking would be having everyone that want to do the clinic meet up early on Wednesday the 5th at a pond where I can teach the basics and get everyone geared up. This pond would be on the way to the Sawtooths (from the south) and is stoked very heavily with trout. It would be a good place to go through everything and give everyone a chance to try things and ask questions.

So I need a head count so I can sort out the final details.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Ok trying to work on the Tenkara Fishing plans for the hang.

Of those that are 100% sure that they are coming to the hang, how many of you are interested in doing some Tenkara? Who is interested in my putting on a Tenkara Clinic to teach you about it and how many are ok with having it be a paid clinic to cover the cost of the gear (lines, flies, tippet, and so on)? I will be bringing just as much gear as is necessary to set up those folks that want to give Tenkara a try. I'll have discounts on the rods if anyone want to buy them but will be including them in the demo gear as a loaner/demo situation for those that want to do the clinic. I just don't want to end up with 20 rods sitting in my car for a week

What I am thinking would be having everyone that want to do the clinic meet up early on Wednesday the 5th at a pond where I can teach the basics and get everyone geared up. This pond would be on the way to the Sawtooths (from the south) and is stoked very heavily with trout. It would be a good place to go through everything and give everyone a chance to try things and ask questions.

So I need a head count so I can sort out the final details.
    All three of us from Nebraska will need fishing gear. A charge for supplies will be OK with us. We had planned on leaving on Tuesday morning. With a two day drive that will not get us there on Wednesday morning.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Hammock
    WWWB/ HH explorer/DIY
    Tarp
    HH hex / DIY
    Insulation
    BL mamba JRBnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Not for me, if I do fish it will be just with a reg rod that I will bring. But thanks anyway.

Hammock
    WWWB/ HH explorer/DIY
    Tarp
    HH hex / DIY
    Insulation
    BL mamba JRBnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Hey paul is anyone bringing any dinner for Wednesday night? Just trying to plan how much food to pack.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jbehun View Post
    Hey paul is anyone bringing any dinner for Wednesday night? Just trying to plan how much food to pack.
    Was thinking we would hit Smiley Creek for dinner and as a good spot for everyone to meet up at. We can hope the power stays on.
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
    All three of us from Nebraska will need fishing gear. A charge for supplies will be OK with us. We had planned on leaving on Tuesday morning. With a two day drive that will not get us there on Wednesday morning.
    Any One else?

If it's just 3 that will need fishing gear then we can go over all the set up stuff pretty easy on the lake or at the campground. If it turns into 10 :roll eyes: folks then it would be a little more work.

Hammock
    D.I.Y
    Tarp
    1.1 Diy
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Woopie's!
    naw im good, i blow at fishing anyways so im gonna bring some junk from home and try my luck. lol

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag

Maps and directions

I'm looking ahead for the trip. What is our starting location on Wednesday? Where can I get maps of the area that we will be in on the hang? If we are hiking our on Sunday and moving to a different location where might that be? Will that be a drive up location? I'm trying to figure out what gear might be useful for the extra nights.
    I figure I'll eat lots of fish on the hang, less food to carry? Any suggestions on best cooking method for the fish?
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
    I'm looking ahead for the trip. What is our starting location on Wednesday? Where can I get maps of the area that we will be in on the hang? If we are hiking our on Sunday and moving to a different location where might that be? Will that be a drive up location? I'm trying to figure out what gear might be useful for the extra nights.
    I figure I'll eat lots of fish on the hang, less food to carry? Any suggestions on best cooking method for the fish?
    A couple things might be making us need to be flexible on exactly were we end up hiking for the hang. Currently there are 2 major fires burning on either side of the sawtooths. Neither are directly an issue to the fire but are at times having some roads closed and are putting a good bit of smoke all across Idaho.

Here is a small map showing were the fires are at. The Sawtooths are the range that runs north and west from the label "Sawtooth National Forest" with the valley along the right edge.

Because of the main fire we may need to shift around exactly where the hike is and where the second half of the hang is held. Not to worry there are 100's of great options though.

Where we are meeting Wednesday: Depending on when folks are arriving that are driving or flying in I had planned to meet at Smiley Creek Lodge at the south end of the Sawtooth Valley. They have great food and cold beer, plan on $20-25 for dinner or $15ish for burgers with fries and a drink. From there we will caravan to a campground for the night and hit the trail in the AM Thursday.

I can mail you a Idaho HWY map with the areas and roads highlighted.(PM me for that) I will also print and bring topos for the area we end up hiking in for anyone that wants one but a good reference for hiking trails is the Earthwalk press waterproof topo trail map for the Sawtooths. Amazon Link

We are hiking out on Sunday as I know several folks will be headed home for work on Monday. The plan would be to drive to a campground location near one of the area hot springs for a soak and some fishing in a creek or river for Sunday and Monday. I am there till Tuesday morning when I will head for home fishing along the way. Fires and road closures will dictate which springs/creek/campground we head to.

Any of the lakes and streams that we hit for fishing will be open to keep fish, I rarely do but any one can. I would bring tin foil to wrap the fish in along with some oil and any seasonings you like. Lemon or lemon pepper are good usually. Cooked over the coals in a small fire for a bit works pretty well. I will add though that fish is very low in calories so don't plan on it replacing much food. Good add on with something high in calories like pasta or something filling like instant potatoes.

Anyone coming can PM me for my phone # just keep in mind once we get up that area there is little to no service so plan on making calls home, or to me/each other early in the day on Wednesday. Smiley Creek does have free WiFi for those that need a connection out to the world while we are there.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag

Thanks

Thanks for the info. We plan to over night in the Medicine Bow National Forest in Wyoming on the way out. That will leave about 600 miles for Wednesday. We will shoot for an early start to get to dinner and meet up with the group. At this point we plan to start for home on Tuesday morning. I will PM with cell number and address for map.
    Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast