Picked up some ripstop on sale at Hancock Fabrics last week for $2.49/yd - at that price I just couldn't resist. Sadly that stuff's heavy - gotta be 1.9oz/yd so my project came out a bit heavier/bulkier than I'd hoped for. Still, I'm pretty happy with the results.
I started out with two 11ft x 60in pieces which I put a rolled edge one ending up with 10ft 10in length by about 57-58in wide. Following the DL instructions from DIY Gear Supply I sewed the middle ~40 inches together on each side and sewed the ends together as well. I then put in a generous 2 inch channel at the ends. It's more than I needed for the whipping/knob, but figured this way I can easily swap it out for a plain gathered end if I want to later. Final length whipping to whipping ended up right about 10ft.
I then put a 36in length of 1/4" braided elastic band (didn't have any shock cord) in opposite head & foot ends, similar to Knotty's stretch side hammock tutorial. Since it's a double layer, I put elastic in both and ran the two pieces through a common cordlock. That worked out fairly well - think it'll be even better come summer when I won't have the pad helping hold out the edges.
Finally I added some whoopies & an adjustable ridgeline with the 7/64 amsteel I got from Redden Marine during their recent remnants sale. I used the idea by I think Prof. Hammock to put some whipping on the adjustable end of the whoopie to keep it from being pulled in too far and to help it stay in place once I get around to making some toggles.
Since I know somebody'll ask, the final weight - well lets just say it won't qualify as UL Like I mentioned, that Hancock Fabric's ripstop is heavy stuff. (Also seems very water resistant - tested and it held a nice bit of water for 30 min without a bit soaking through. Yet I could breath through it pretty easily, so it isn't Silnylon.)
So right around a pound and a half for the hammock, stuff sack, suspension, 12ft tree straps & 2 carabiners. The bishop bag I made for it is probably a bit bigger than necessary but I figure it'll have plenty of room for a Fronkey bugnet come summer. I may add a compression strap to it too.
Of course the important part is is it comfortable and I'm happy to say that it is. Even with the sub optimal hang off my 12ft hammock stand I was able to get plenty close enought to flat. And having the double layer made dealing with my DIY SPE pad a whole lot easier and at least in my 1/2hr testing it didn't shift around on me which was my whole motivation for this little project. I'm hoping to sleep out in it this coming weekend and give it a better test.
Overall this was a fun project. I am a bit disappointed in the weight/bulk, but I'm not UL anyway so it's fine. I may make another one at some point with some lighter 1.1oz stuff and convert this into a hammock sock.
I'd like to thank everyone here on HF for sharing so much how-to info and making this relatively straight forward. Of course now the DIY bug that seems to be going around here has infected me too so more projects are sure to follow.