Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Homemade BlackCat
    Images

Destructive Webbing Tests!

I know this test has been done before (here), but since I'm still learning how to sew, I wanted to test my stitching before trusting my weight to it.
    Luckily, I'm in charge of our Instron tensile testing machine here at Alfred U, so I made up a test loopy and ran it.

I used polypropylene webbing (package pictured, $5.65 for 12') and stitched it as shown in the paint document. I'm also using Gutermann's thread.

The webbing broke at 550 lbs force, before the stitching! I heard some of the stitches let go at ~400 lbf, but it held on both sides until it came apart in the middle. I would have liked to see how much it stretches for a given load, but I don't have the machine calibrated yet for position. I might redo it when it's calibrated and compare polypropylene, nylon, etc.

Pretty cool stuff. Sorry about the blurry pictures, I was using my camera phone since I forgot my camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Relay for Life Long Trail hike 2008: Please donate here to the American Cancer Society (100% of donations go to the ACS)

"Measure Four Times, Cut Twice"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I'd be really curious to see how the 2" poly seatbelt straps from strapworks performed - I have a vested interest. Good to know the same stitching I used on my straps will outlast the strap!!

Hammock
    BB,HH, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    MacCat, JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Images

Great Testing Equipment

Nice equipment!

Can you test different materials and seams? I would like to have a second opinion on previous testing that I have done.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3848

Images
    Very nice set up for testing. Just curious, the package stated that the straps were "lab tested", was there a strength for the webbing listed also? If so, how did it compare to your results? Thanks for posting this. I have never had my stitching pull apart but I usually use 4 or 5 bar tacks. Maybe I'm too agressive with my sewing.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Homemade BlackCat
    Images
    Interestingly enough, nowhere on the package did it have a rating. This is probably because the package also contained some plastic buckles, so the rating would have to account for the lowest denominator, meaning the buckles. This is pretty much in line with tests done by other members. Gotta love consistent data.

IndyDan, that's a pretty nice set up, I don't know if it needs confirmation! Right now, I can't easily modify the machine for pieces wider than ~1.25" since it technically doesn't belong to me. I might make a quick fixture to do just that, but not right now.
    Relay for Life Long Trail hike 2008: Please donate here to the American Cancer Society (100% of donations go to the ACS)

"Measure Four Times, Cut Twice"

• + New Posts