Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    I can't remember who it was now, but somebody had posted pix of their down gear compressed and their IX gear compressed and the two items being equivalent to each other in size and function, compressed to roughly the same dimensions with a compression sack.
    The nice thing about IX is that its ability to function well even if you neglect it. You can store it compressed, you could probably throw it in the lake 5 min. before bed, shake it off and still keep warm.
    Also I would not use a sil shell on your down quilt, it need to breath.
    That was TeeDee who made that 3 layer IX UQ. I believe he is the person who first introduced Insultex to Hammock Forums. It would be great to hear some updates on his experiences with it.

I have used IX a lot as both under and over insulation in several of my hammocks. At the risk of generalizing, I would say that it's strength is when combined with other insulations. Used by itself it doesn't hold warmth, it only reflects it back. If you are wearing insulating clothing between you and the IX, it can often work fine.

It's biggest weakness is lack of breathability. Too warm and you will be sweaty. So I would say, "No", you can't just get away with two layers of IX and be comortable. I think you would be comfortable in a much wider temperature range with the down.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Another thought...

A PLUQ will run you about $30, give or take, if you hunt for a decent deal on a poncho liner. It's nearly indestructable in my experience, and good down to around 45 F for most folks. Getting it wet doesn't really bother it (remember, those were originally intended to be a field-expedient sleeping bag with a poncho as a bivvy in wet weather), and it works down to about the coldest temps that you're likely to see precipitation here in Florida.

Would it be worth doing a PLUQ for warmer/wetter weather and a down underquilt for colder/drier situations? The PLUQ won't be as lightweight, but at those temperatures, you don't have to carry as much clothing and top insulation anyway, meaning that the net weight cost might be offset.

Just a random thought.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    I can't remember who it was now, but somebody had posted pix of their down gear compressed and their IX gear compressed and the two items being equivalent to each other in size and function, compressed to roughly the same dimensions with a compression sack.......
    Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    That was TeeDee who made that 3 layer IX UQ. I believe he is the person who first introduced Insultex to Hammock Forums. It would be great to hear some updates on his experiences with it.
    Yes, he had a 3 layer IX plus shells(full differential cuts) compared to his down UQ ( full length I think) that had 4 or 5" of loft I believe. He did not test the IX at cold temps that would quite match his UQ's theoretical rating ( 5 or 10 below?), but he was "toasty" at something like 11F maybe? But they packed down to about the same size. I think his wife was also.

I remember he thought a big advantage to the IX was it was much easier getting the IX in the stuff sack than was the down.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    My first underquilt was a full-length 2-layer IX underquilt. For whatever reasons, it was never warm enough for me to use without an additional pad in summer. When it started to get a bit colder in September, I decided to order a full-length 3-season down underquilt. I think both were about the same packed size (IX didn't compress at all) - but the down underquilt was *a lot* warmer from the beginning, and I have been using it without pad to around 0°C. I would not go back to IX.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by JPsax View Post
    could I get away with just 2 layers of IX ? I read scott ( of DIY gear supply) instructions for a three layer quilt and it said it would work to below freezing so would 2 layers add up to our areas weather?
    I have a 3 layer IX and I personally can only use it in the warmer temps. I'm a very cold sleeper though. I've backpacked the IX quilt and found it easy to maintain. I didn't have to worry about pulling it out of my pack if it was raining. But I found it hard to actually pack it in my pack. It probably would pack better in a normal pack but I carry an Aarn and it's got a center divider in it that interfers with how the IX is packed.

If you're a warmer sleeper, 2 layers may be just right for you. It's really hard to say just how much insulation any one person will need to be comfertable in.

I also used to have a summer rated down under quilt that I made. It fit my Clark and when I sold that hammock, quilts went with it. I had no trouble keeping that quilt dry and it packed in my backpack easily and very small. Because I camp in mostly very humid conditions, that quilt had an outer cover of waterproof DWR (same stuff I made my tarp out of). Then when rain splash would land on the bottom of that quilt, or fog rolled in off the river, it didn't effect the down.

You're gonna have to weigh out in your mind, which quilt you think will work best for you. I found the IX to be easier to make and maintain out in humid conditions, but harder to pack and weighed more than my down quilt. My down quilt was also easy to maintain because I'd put the DWR material on it. It was, for me, harder to make and more expensive. It packed down in my pack very easy and small and weighed less than my IX quilt.

These are just my findings, your's, of course, could be different!!

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPsax View Post
    could I get away with just 2 layers of IX ? I read scott ( of DIY gear supply) instructions for a three layer quilt and it said it would work to below freezing so would 2 layers add up to our areas weather?
    You also have to take into consideration the type of clothes you are sleeping in. With regular sleepwear, I would venture to say that three layers of IX will not keep you warm at any below freezing temps. To be on the safe side, 3 layers of IX would possibly have a comfort level no less than 40*

Hammock
    Jazilla DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly(olive)
    Insulation
    Jazille DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    How well does Ix work as an over quilt. I heard that there is a problem with condensation.
    Last edited by Millerville; 02-16-2012 at 20:28.

Hammock
    WB Black Bird Double Layer
    Tarp
    Big Mamba Jamba
    Insulation
    DIY IX Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie +adj strap
    I made a 3 layer IX UQ and found it A LOT better than my Thermarest pad. I've only used it down to around 40 though and I was not incredibly warm. I'm a cold sleeper though. I currently am purchasing some down to tackle a down UQ. Any suggestions which set of plans to use?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I would not consider IX for high-humidity regions. It doesn't breathe . . .
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12