Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightUpHangin View Post
    I will be doing a winter hang mid jan in ontario, the temp should be around -10c to -20c. Im using a single layer Parachute Nylon Hammock by Vivere (purchased at Home hardware) And a mummy bag rated to -26c with a 3 season bag inside as a liner. My question is, should i even bother with an under quilt? Has anyone else tried this? Feedback would be apreciated.
    Thanks and keep em hangin
    As a fellow native of Oshawa, welcome to the forums. The only way to know if your solution is going to work it to test is a spot where you can easily bail. If you have can do that today (Jan 3, 2012) the weather is such that you will get a pretty good idea of your 2 bag solution with no underquilt is going to be feasible. I would at minimum use a CCF pad or a thermarest type pad to provide some insulation on the bottom side.

A group of Ontario/Eastern Great Lake hangers is heading out to Valens conservation area this Saturday for an overnighter. Details can be found here, I know it is short notice, but it will be the best opportunity for you to check out a bunch of hammock gear and speak with people that have cold weather hanging experience.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Vivere Parachute Nylon Hammock
    Ya i plan to test today (jan 3) to get a good feel for the cold, also would like to say thanks for the invite but i wouldn't be able to make it this saturday due to some obligations i have. also plan to head back over to the new outdoors store (sail) that is over at stevenson and laval (near the walmart) to grab a couple things. Found a great cook set at mountain equipment co-op in toronto to replace my old set that i used spring, summer and fall but i decided to grab utensils from sail in oshawa.

Hammock
    $26 Parachute Nylon made by VIVERE
    Tarp
    12'x14' chinook
    Insulation
    Military Sleep Sys
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm so stoked for this, bro!
    Will your old sleepingbag unzip at foot end? If so, you might beable to slip your hammock through that, so part of sleeping bag is under and the other part is over, then sleep in your new sleepingbag inside of that.

I'm only using that summer sleepingbag as my UQ this time around to see how it works with my sleep system. Also, if the Hut works out as planned, We'll be PLENTY warm in the hammocks.
    My Hammock camping adventures, and more can be seen here:
    ***WARNING! Many of my videos contain language some may find inappropriate!***
    http://www.youtube.com/FAQUAD2010

Thanks for all your help, advice and more!

Hammock
    Vivere Parachute Nylon Hammock
    Ya can't wait for it

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    yeah i would test out your setup first....
    but i would think you will need at least 1 pad under you
    or i would thing of a way to use one of the bags as a peapod and use one as a sleeping bag.... that would work out nice and not cost you anything
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightUpHangin View Post
    the insulation is synthetic, I am a bit new (been hanging since spring) and this is my first winter hang. I have been told that pads slide, its looking like I might be off to the sewing machine for a little uq fabrication lol
    If you are using a bag and an overbag, try putting a pad inside the outerbag. That should keep it from sliding anywhere that you are no sliding already.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12