Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Vivere Parachute Nylon Hammock

Under quilt or not?

I will be doing a winter hang mid jan in ontario, the temp should be around -10c to -20c. Im using a single layer Parachute Nylon Hammock by Vivere (purchased at Home hardware) And a mummy bag rated to -26c with a 3 season bag inside as a liner. My question is, should i even bother with an under quilt? Has anyone else tried this? Feedback would be apreciated.
    Thanks and keep em hangin

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Are you going to be sleeping on your mummy bag or using it as a pea pod around the hammock?

Hammock
    I will be Sleeping inside the mummy bag as well as using my 3 season as a liner inside the mummy bag

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightUpHangin View Post
    I will be Sleeping inside the mummy bag as well as using my 3 season as a liner inside the mummy bag
    Then you'll need something under you to compensate for the insulation that is compressed under you. Even on the ground you need a pad to keep the cold out from underneath. In a hammock, that need is increased due to the air moving under your hammock. Your body and the ground will eventually reach an equilibrium point (whether that is comfortable or not is another matter) since you are staying on the same piece of ground. In a hammock, the equilibrium point is the same as the air temperature.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightUpHangin View Post
    I will be doing a winter hang mid jan in ontario, the temp should be around -10c to -20c. Im using a single layer Parachute Nylon Hammock by Vivere (purchased at Home hardware) And a mummy bag rated to -26c with a 3 season bag inside as a liner. My question is, should i even bother with an under quilt? Has anyone else tried this? Feedback would be apreciated.
    Thanks and keep em hangin
    Have you done any practice hangs yet with the hammock? If you have, what did you use for insulation and what were the temps? Your post sounds like you're very new to hammock hanging. If so, something that most people don't think about is the movement of air under you and if you're using a down sleeping bag, your body will squish all the down between your back side and the hammock you're laying on. Squished down will not hold any insulation value. If your bag is synthetic, you do get a little bit of insulation value on your backside, but not much. And certainly not enough for a -10 to -20c degree hang. If you have an "insulated" blow-up sleeping pad, you can put that into the hammock and then get into your sleeping bag. Or use some other type of pad inside the hammock. What you're aiming for is something between you and the outside moving air that isn't squished flat. The difference between those two will determine how warm you are. Look at some of the down under quilts sold here, you'll notice as the quilt is rated for a colder temp. that the baffle height increases.

Hammock
    the insulation is synthetic, I am a bit new (been hanging since spring) and this is my first winter hang. I have been told that pads slide, its looking like I might be off to the sewing machine for a little uq fabrication lol

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Pads do slide!! and combine that with using a mummy bag.... eeek!! But you said your trip was mid Jan. and I was hoping that you had some camping gear to work with. If you're able to make an underquilt in time.... If not, then use what you've got.
    One thing I would suggest is to have a back-up plan, just in case!

Do post after your trip and let us know what you used and how it worked out.

Hammock
    Yup got a lot of gear and more backup plans than a worried mom lol cell phone coverage and 5 min walk to family or friends. And I will definitely post all details about the trip as well as vids
    Thank you to everyone who commented on this and please keep me posted on any suggestions or ideas

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Get out in the yard and test. It kinda helps to start in the fall and fine tune your setup with each colder outing.

David

Hammock
    Ya we had a pretty mild fall, I plan to test run some ideas tonight because the temp in my neck of the woods is in the -20's c with the wind chill today but at least its clear sky so no need to set up my tarp for the backyard test. On a side note, have any of you doubled up you mummy bags with a 3 season bag inside as a liner?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast