Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Has Anyone Tried a Poncho Tarp Above Their Hammock?

Hey all,

I was planning on on hanging my Integral Designs SilPoncho above my hammock (in fair weather to start) to see what it looked like.

I suspect it will be a bit on the small side... it is 8 ft x 5 ft (my MacCat Std is 10.4' x 7') but it will be fun to check out regardless.

Given my fears, I am wondering if one could create an oversized poncho tarp that had the extra material fold up and button up to eliminate another 8-10 oz caused by carrying rain gear for your body & rain gear for your hammock.

Obviously this would only really be good if you planned on moving every night... not if you had a base-camp setup.

Thoughts?

Sean

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I carry an Exped Bivy Poncho, but in addition to a tarp. I do that in case I need to set up in the rain---which would mean taking off the poncho while its raining if that's my only rain shelter.

Its 6" shorter and 2" wider than the one you linked to, but has snaps on all sides which would allow a larger shelter to be built if two individuals are traveling together.

To give an idea of how big a shelter it would make:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAoA4iA2oZs

Personally, I look on a poncho tarp as more of an emergency shelter.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    It might work with a short asym hammock if hung in a diamond, but it I wouldn't want to be out in any rain with it.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I know R00K had Joe from Zpacks make a cuben tarp/poncho and pack cover for his up comming thru. I checked it out at fall MAHHA. It seemed like there was enough coverage when in tarp mode. He hiked in and out with it and stayed dry ( and it RAINED). Except for a leak the first night, in tarp mode that was due to it not getting seam sealed prior to the trip. As far as I remember R00K is so far still good to go with it. PM him or he may chime in.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    I tried it with my Sea to Summit Silnylon Poncho tarp but quickly abandoned that idea in favor of my JRB 8x8, which is lighter and gives more 'minimal' protection.

For expected rain on longer trips I still am not satisfied with the weight of my current solution for rain gear on my person, so researching that is a continuous thing.

Looking into Cuben for a tarp but awaiting the reports after winter trips from the usual suspects

Usually in tropical conditions when it pours down I either go without a rain cover for the body and welcome the shower opportunity since you are wet anyway. For windy occasions I had good results with a 'throw away' plastic emergency poncho which I reused for in total about a week before it fell apart on me.

On my three week canoeing trip last summer in Sweden I was glad with my (heavy) Fjallraven jacket with wind, rain and hail.

YMMV though....

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Went looking on You Tube to see if there is anything showing a poncho tarp and hammock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNEig254G3c

The comments are interesting.

At about 11:35 he mentions that the ends of the hammock are outside the poncho tarp.

Based on this, I'd say that a poncho is less than optimum for use with a hammock for rain protection. It's probably a sensible option for ultralight ground dwelling in conjunction with a bivy sack.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Perhaps an extra large poncho tarp is the answer. My Integral Designs SilPoncho has some very cleverly placed snaps that create arm holes and cinch up the waist etc. A couple extra snaps could make a long poncho (that would otherwise drag on the ground) the correct size to wear.

Sean

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

extended poncho works

The answer is always maybe. The extended poncho set in A-Sym diamond has a ridgeline of 119" The BlackBird has a 101" ridgeline. That means about 9' of coverage on each end. Enough, but just barely.

The Hennessy Explorer has too long of a ridgeline to use a poncho.

The Blackbird has a short ridgeline but has a flat lay because it encourages a diagonal lay. It would not be a good idea to use the side pullouts if you are using a poncho.

My gallery has photos that show a royal blue poncho tarp.
    Last edited by ringtail-THFKAfood; 01-03-2012 at 16:51.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    The downside of using your poncho as your tarp would be during setup/breakdown...would you wear it and get your hammock/gear wet, or take it off to string up...getting yourself wet in the process?

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

tricky

I always carry a windshirt (3.8 oz.) and that is enough to keep you dry for the amount of time it takes to rig the poncho. I also carry a Wall*Mart emergency poncho (88 cents and 1.9 oz.)

In the west the storms tend to be short and intense. When I get the idea that there might be rain I slip the emergency ponsho into my cargo pocket. You have to pull your head inside in the real poncho and put on the emergency poncho. The emergency poncho and several binderclips become additional weather protection.

Here in the west I look for evergreen trees that provide primary shelter - OK they drip all night but shelter you from intense rain.

It is a problem that can be solved by good site selection and a 88 cent and 1.9 oz. emergency poncho.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast