Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    6ft- Check with outfitters and canoe rental places in the area you wish to float and they can provide shuttle services.

I like going to the South Branch of the Potomac in Petersburg, Wv. Excellent scenery,fishing and plenty of spots for camping with privacy(not camp grounds)

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    6ft- Check with outfitters and canoe rental places in the area you wish to float and they can provide shuttle services.

I like going to the South Branch of the Potomac in Petersburg, Wv. Excellent scenery,fishing and plenty of spots for camping with privacy(not camp grounds)
    i never camp at camp grounds when kaying lolneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Claytor Camo
    Insulation
    ccf
    That is why they call it stealth camping!

Neo, sounds like a great trip. Smallmouth should be hitting as well.

I plan on doing several overnight trips up hear in East TN this year also.

Nathan

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    My daughter and I are doing the West Branch Susquehanna River Trail in July. You are welcome to join us. Susquehanna River Rats is what I am calling the trip. July 14-21 or so.
    Thanks for the offer. We don’t have much river experience, and aren’t looking to ‘shoot’ any serious rapids. How challenging is that section? How do you get yourself upstream and leave a car down stream? Do you use an outfitter shuttle service, or does your daughter drive? My son is only 12, so I’ll either have to use a service or team up with someone. We would only be available early weekdays; weekends are no good for me.

We plan on fishing and will most likely take our time. Do you plan to camp somewhere or just do a day trip?

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    This is mostly flat water. No white water at all to my knowledge.

We plan on putting in at Lock Haven and Floating/paddling down to Milton State Park. This is about 58 river miles. Fishing on the section beyond Williamsport is supposed to be excellent. Smallmouth bass are supposed to be plentiful in that area. If you left your car in Lock Haven we could get you back up to it at the end of the trip. We will likely be stelalth camping along the river. Our plan is about 10 miles per day. We could help you shuttle cars if you needed to. I am not sure how the shuttle systems would work on the river. It might take some logictical shenanigans but nothing we couldn't work out. We could work out details in PM if you want.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    I live just north of Philly on the Neshaminy Creek and will be purchasing a Yak in the next couple of weeks. We'll have to share local intel.

What kind of Yak are you getting?
    I actually just got a 14 foot canoe from Dicks Sporting Goods. I also have a Bass Boat, but wanted the canoe so I can just throw it in the back of my truck and not have to worry about a trailer for trips upstate, etc. I really like the looks of one the Yak’s that Dick’s had (built in rod holders, etc), but didn’t have the cash for two of them, and I wanted something I could go out on with my son.

I really like the idea of doing an overnight hammock camping / fishing float trip, but since he’s only 12 and doesn’t drive, my options are limited. I know of many good lakes to Bass fish on (mostly in NJ), but I’m not very knowledgeable on float trips. I don’t really like the idea of having to pay to get dropped up stream, but I don’t see anyway around it at this time. Gas prices being what they are , an outfitter’s shuttle service might be cheaper than two vehicles.

What I really didn’t like was this: on one site the outfitter’s ‘release’ stated clearly they wanted to be: “released, indemnified & held harmless” from any and all (list bad stuff that could happen) “Whether arising from the negligence of the releasee’s (outfitter’s) or otherwise”.

I’m OK with them not being responsible for the river’s (or my) actions, but why should they be release specifically from THEIR OWN negligence? I know nothings going to happen, but their release just rubbed me the wrong way.

Anyway, I’m hoping to find a few good float trips in the Philadelphia or South Jersey areas. I’ll certainly share any good tips I get. It’s not like giving away a good hunting spot!

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    This is mostly flat water. No white water at all to my knowledge.

We plan on putting in at Lock Haven and Floating/paddling down to Milton State Park. This is about 58 river miles. Fishing on the section beyond Williamsport is supposed to be excellent. Smallmouth bass are supposed to be plentiful in that area. If you left your car in Lock Haven we could get you back up to it at the end of the trip. We will likely be stealth camping along the river. Our plan is about 10 miles per day. We could help you shuttle cars if you needed to. I am not sure how the shuttle systems would work on the river. It might take some logistical shenanigans but nothing we couldn't work out. We could work out details in PM if you want.
    It sounds like you are biting off a little more than we’re ready to chew! With our limited river experience, I’m not ready for that big of a trip. I’m looking to start off with a single overnight. It seems like a great section of river. A five day float trip with no white water? Sounds great to me, but I don’t have that many days off to devote to such a trip. I’m very interested to hear a report when you return.

When you stealth camp along the way, have you pre-scouted locations from prior trips, or do you just ‘hang on the fly’?

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Claytor Camo
    Insulation
    ccf
    Neo,
    How did the trip go?

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
    Neo,
    How did the trip go?
    i lost akayak in a floodneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    6ft. If you would like, I can assist you in two areas that you have questions.

1. Shuttle- If you come to HBG area for an overnighter, I will shuttle you upriver so you can float back to your car

2. Provide details/map of camping spots and the time it takes from the point you drop in to the campsite and from the campsite to your car.

That area is known for smallies.

If your looking for company, we may be free, but I fully understand the father/son trip.

I am not sure if for your first trip you stealth camp. It can be stressful not knowing where you are camping when your son is with you.

My reccommendation is to pre scout the area & get local intel.

I am excited for you guys. My 12 old loves the float/hammock camping and I know yours will as well.

Take some glow sticks for your son. I also take a sling shot for the times my son doesnt want to fish and dad wants to fish.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast