Tarp
    WB Cammo Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yetti & Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing

1st Annual Congaree River Trail Fish n Hike n Hang

Hey Guys!

I am starting a 3 day Annual Hammock Hang and would love for everyone to join me. Here are the details:

Dates:
    Feb. 18-20, 2012

The trip will take place at Congaree National Park off of the River Trail. Here are the tentative plans:

Day 1 – Hike down to the Congaree River from Harry Hampton Visitor Center. Set up camp (hammock) right off the Congaree River. Given the remaining available daylight, possibly explore as much of the surrounding area as possible. I may even plan to do some back-country hiking a mile or so off trail into the Congaree Wilderness for fun.

Day 2 – This day is pretty much open to anything. But after an awesome breakfast, I plan on fishing all day long on the Congaree River. I would start fishing a dawn and stop about 2:30pm. That way we would have plenty of time to clean, cook and enjoy the taste of a hard day’s work of fishing.

Day 3 – I plan on enjoying the last day in the swamp. This can be done in anyway wanted(fishing, park trail hiking, back-country exploring, lounging from the hammock, etc). Most of us will just be lounging in the hammocks til about noon or 1pm (ish). At that point, we will pack up camp and say goodbye to the “Congaree River Swamp God” as we hike back to Harry Hampton Visitor Center to end the trip.

Remember that this is just my preliminary Plans for the trip. If anyone has opinions or options on other activities during or for the event, please interject. I would like this to become a yearly event for me during Presidents Day Weekend. I am hoping there is enough interest in this to make it fun for all us Hammock Hangers!!!

For more information on the trails of the Congaree National Park - http://www.nps.gov/cong/planyourvisit/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&PageID=308199
    If you see me on the trail...DON'T YELL!...DON'T BAIL!... Its just your BOY, Camomeleon!!!

www.camomeleon.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/XtremeKatfishn

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    I might be interested. I'm not much of a fisherman even thoug I do enjoy it. That's some beautiful area too, and the winter is the best time to enjoy it while the bugs are gone. Watch out for the wild pigs!
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I'm interested, but I don't fish, but could possibly be talked into it. I haven't been in this area, but would love to check it out. I would love to do some hiking. My husband may do the fishing. Looks like a good weekend for us also.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    HH Deluxe/ DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HH Hex/ WB Superfl
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I might be able to come out to this also. I have been here before and reaaly liked the area. One note, do not get your water from the creek. With the slow moving current and the amount of debris that enters the water, it is very acidic and even after filtering has a horrible taste and is the color of tea. I don't know about the river water. I would assume it is fine. Also as most of this park can flood, it is a good idea to have an alternate trip plan. I would check with the ranger just days before to confirm the park conditions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Offering fine and unique outdoor products for the serious hiker and hammocker.
    Available at the following retailers:Tier Gear, Dutchware

Hammock
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I was looking at the map and it looks to be several miles to the river. My husband has bad knees and can't hike too far. So, not sure I can make this one. I'd love to see that park though. I have heard great things about it. Maybe we will go and stay at the primitive campground near the parking lot, and I can hike in and visit you all.

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    how far is the area you are thinking of camping at from the first parking area (the outside camp sites)? You know i have a bad knee also
    have you been to that spot before? any high areas there?

Hammock
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps

Primitive Campground

I was looking at the Bluff primitive campground, but was also considering the primitive campgound and after hours parking area. I've never been there, and would like to know what is better from someone who is familiar. I would rather not hang in a campground, but my husband can't hike far, so I think that would be the best option. This time of year the campgrounds probably won't be to busy.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    The trails there are very flat and well maintained. You will be able to hike farther with less effort in the Congaree than any mountainous area for sure. The Bluff Primitive site is about 1.5 mile easy hike from the Harry Hampton Visitor Center. The trail actually crosses the road too, so if you got out there, you could shave maybe a third of a mile. I wouldn't consider it a very nice campground though. It's basically a small, open field with picnic tables and fire rings set up along its perimeter. There is absolutely no privacy whatsoever between sites. Also, there is no water source (although it's not far so you can easily bring water). I have never been to the after hours campsite, but it looks to also be about 1.5 miles from Harry Hampton. Of course, it also appears to have its own parking.
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Thank you Str1der, does the campground with the after hours parking lot have trees to hang??? I will call Congaree to find out more info. How far of a hike in to where you will be at the river??

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    It looks to be about 3.5 - 4.0 miles to the river, and then the trail follows the river for another 1.5 miles before heading back. I'm not sure where the op wants to set up camp, so I'll let him chim in on that one. Like I said before, I've never been to the after hours site, but there are trees EVERYWHERE, so I doubt they would be missing. At the Bluff Campground, there are plenty of trees, but you may have to fan out from the central field a little. I would do that anyway to try to find a modicum of privacy. Did I just say modicum?
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast