BMBH, hennessey backpacker
    Tarp
    Jacks R Better
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopies

old hammocker

Hi gang; I've been on this forum since it's inception and on the hammock camping forum before that.I don't do a lot of posting but enjoy reading and following along. I've been hammocking since it's inception also,like 10 years now. Back then people said ( you use what!) So I think I've paid my dues to the hammock community. When I got on this site today I wanted to sell my BMBH. When I went to the sale forum and tried to post it, a messeage came up that I needed to have 15 posts in order to post on that forum. I'd like to plead my case to the masses and the moderators in order to post the sale of my BMBH. Please consider this as i'm not a spammer or any other type of internet heckler. I just have something to sell. Thank you for listening. Happy new year. Bob Mac

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Keep this conversation going for the afternoon and you'll get your minimum pretty fast. Here's some questions to help you along.

What kind of rig do you have to replace the BMBH?

Do you ever get to groups hangs?

Having hung for so long, you've seen hammock camping evolve a lot. Any comments on your observations? Where do see it in another 10yrs?

If you answer the questions in seperate posts, they'll add up faster.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hex Rainfly 70D
    Insulation
    open2suggestions
    Suspension
    Caribiner, Rings
    +1 IMO you have paid your dues.

If you were able to post it for sale what would you ask for it ($)

And is this the older model BMBH or the newer one?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well, Bob Mac, is this your only hammock? What hammock did you start with?
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Hammock
    Tarp
    Jacks R Better
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopies

Wink All good thoughts

I started with the hennessey and stayed with it. I bought the first prototype JRB underquilt. One of the best creations in the hammock camping industry. I live in the northeast and up here their is no season that you don't need the underquilt or some other type of bottom insulation. Ed speers pea pod was the first stab at insulation and looked like it works pretty well. I went with the OES hex tarp and never looked back. The extra room under the hex tarp was always well appreciated in inclement weather. Being able to sit up in the morning with my down blanket wrapped around me and start the water boiling for a good cup of hot tea was just 1st class.
    Another thing I started doing was having someplace to put all my gear. I would tie my tarp higher up onthe tree and I had a thin piece of spectra cord tied from end to end on the tarp that I left on the tarp. I made sure it was tied to the crossgrain where the tie off cord to the tree was. Then I would hang all of my gear on this to keep it off the ground. I would put my gear on the ends close to the tie off point. the hammock would keep it from sliding to the middle. Then I would hang my wet gear (if any) in the middle. I never left anything on the ground. Back then we had to learn as you go. Their wasn't a lot of solid info like their is now, time tested, sort of. We have come a long way in a short time, thanks to the world wide waste. Without it the evolution of hammock camping might have taken an extra 20 years to get going.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Your experience seems to mirror my own, except I didn't find the forum until much later in my hammock journey. Great set of gear! I don't know what the mods can do for you, but it sounds like you've got the experience behind you, if not the posts on the forum

As Detail Man said, just post a few times and before you know it, you'll be edging out Cannibal as the top poster

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't think anyone is edging out Cannibal.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Jacks R Better
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopies

A little more chatter

After a bunch of years in the hennessey and turning a few friends into hammockers I decided to move on to a new hammock. I decided to give the BMBH a try. When I first got this thing I was a little leary of just how flat I was going to lay in it. I strung it up in the back yard and much to my supriseI was flat as a fluggi in this thing. Since it is a spreader bar hammock, it is a little tippy when you try to sit up in it. It's a small price to pay for the comfort it provides.
    Now for the field test. I take this out with my OE hex tarp and start my 25 mile over nighter. We get to camp that night and I set up my new hammock and go to put the tarp up and find out the tarp is too small. The corners of the hammock are sticking out of the tarp because of the spreader bars. In the northeast when it's not raining it looks like it's going to rain. Fortunately, no rain that night. Probably the best nights sleep in a hammock since I got off the ground.Sleep on my side, turn over on my stomach, flip over to my other side, all around good nights sleep.
    The hikes over now but I still have the too small tarp to deal with. I look on JRB site to see what they recommend and decide to buy their recomdation. When I get this tarp and set it up in my yard it's massive. I'll certainly have a lot of company under it for dinner and breakfast on those rainy days.
    One thing I learned early on was that sustained wind at night will definately get a loose tarp flapping. After spending a night on a ridgetop with sustained 40 mile an hour winds I found out, you will not sleep with the tarp flapping in your ear all night long. I then outfited my tarp with bungy cords on all the tyeouts. That pretty much stops the flapping and the saggy tarp syndron. I've yet to be in that situation again but the size of this new tarp may present new problems. Sure speculation that only time will tell.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mac View Post
    Hi gang; I've been on this forum since it's inception and on the hammock camping forum before that.I don't do a lot of posting but enjoy reading and following along.
    Hello and welcome.

You might have been here all along, and know many of us from reading the posts....but since you haven't posted, we don't know you.

The minimum 15 is to deter folks from coming on to the forum just to sell, but also so that the members here can get to know you a little before before engaging in transactions.

That you have introduced yourself and explained your status is great...we welcome you. Just a few more posts and you'll be there. 15 is a very modest number.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast