WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    IF you are going to keep not using your tarp, a hammock sock will "seal" your UQ,,,, at least some.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    Look at the Garlington insulator
    http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/Hammoc.../Insulator.htm
    If made of wind proof material it will block the wind. CAreful though if its wind proof it will probably be waterproof also, and will be a vapor barrier outside of your quilt.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir Fry View Post
    I did not put my tap, I was testing the worst conditions that we tend to get. Check out what Dutch has.
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    gotta keep the wind off ya
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    IF you are going to keep not using your tarp, a hammock sock will "seal" your UQ,,,, at least some.
    Stir Fry, you asked " Any ideas on how to fix this problem. ", but you have answered your own question. No tarp + wind=cold. Wind will blow right through the shell of most UQs without even slowing down much. The way to fix that problem is to use your tarp or at least a wind proof sock.

What you really need is a HH SuperShelter. But seriously, you are obviously going to- at some point- need a tarp to keep the rain off of you. That same tarp must be used to block the wind. Bigger tarps, with doors, block it better. Site selection is also a big factor.

If you have a small tarp, and/or no doors, and the wind shifts on you during the night, you may find it a challenge to keep the wind off,but you best find a way. Especially when that wind is also wet. So, unless your tarp is plenty big enough you should look into some sort of sock.

Yetserday, it was not all that cold(bout 42). I also was hanging tarpless in 10 to 25 mph wind, really whipping the hammock around. I happened to be in the most windproof system I have, the HHSS plus opt. overcover. The wind was coming at the OC on the side with the large vent opening, and often briefly blowing the OC up a bit. So it was not keeping wind out on top completely, but still was a help. I stayed very toasty and warm on my back and top, wearing a fleece jacket with a vapor barrier as 1st layer, jeans plus with the SS UC, OCF pad and space blanket under me. The tops of my legs started to get a pretty chilly, I needed more than blue jeans. And my gloveless hands were cold while reading.

But the wind was a non-event as far as bottom warmth. Temp wise, I could not even tell the wind was blowing. This is similar to some similar experiences I have had in the past. Again, this was with no tarp, even a small tarp would have given additional help.

Hammock
    Clark's North American NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark's Vertex
    Insulation
    Gore-Tex Bivy
    c/o: Stir Fry:
    Just read an article of someone Who was in the same situation, He purchase a Marmot -40F sleeping bag. Ditch Both the Under & Top Quits. Try it out on the First night out. He Stay warm unit the Snow & 40+ mph winds, pass ... But still little warm in the bag and had to unzip half way and slept comfortablely the rest of the night...

Here's the Bag website:
    http://marmot.com/products/cwm_membrain?p=117

Old Hermit
    Last edited by Old Hermit; 01-12-2012 at 16:20.

Hammock
    HH/ WBRR
    Tarp
    OES / Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UG
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    This weekend was out in 22-24f temps, used the 2q2zq under cover. Middle of the night the winds p.u., did'nt feel a thing under me.
    Makes up for not having the UQ perfectly under me. That I'm still working on.

Did someone say new Dutch clips?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    Thanks to all the posters for the great information to wise up a noob.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12