Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

knees hurting in a hammock

Not sure if my sleeping style in a hammock is at fault or not but since I started sleeping in my hammock a few months ago my knees have been hurting especially if laying on my back has anyone else had this problem, I go from side to back alot and they only bother me when I am sleeping on my back

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    people have said that when laying in a hammock your knees get hyperextended.... it's solved pretty simply by placing a pillow under your knees when you sleep. I've started bringing a section of CCF rolled up (held together with a strap and buckle) and it allows me to place it under my knees and if it's really cold I can unroll it and put it under my feet or butt for more warmth. Hope that helps... I'm sure others will chime in
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by birdygal View Post
    Not sure if my sleeping style in a hammock is at fault or not but since I started sleeping in my hammock a few months ago my knees have been hurting especially if laying on my back has anyone else had this problem, I go from side to back alot and they only bother me when I am sleeping on my back
    Try a stuff sack, jacket or small pillow (or the equivalent thereof) under your knees. I suspect they are slightly hyperextended.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Or you could lay with one leg bent under the other one as another possible solution to this issue. I have found this works wonders when I am on my back sleeping plus it allows me to spread the hammock out more.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Images
    I've noted this happens when folks don't get that good 30 deg. sag, which allows the hammock to hang in a way to achieve a truely flat lay. If you are a bit high on the angle, the material will pull up in the middle and your legs won't lay right, causing knee pain.

Extending your thumb and forefinger is a good way to check the angle. Ensure your suspension lines run between the tips of these two digits.

That's my thoughts on this....

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    I have had the exact same experience, Birdygal! My knees have developed a weird pain that comes and goes at odd times. This is NOT knee pain on the back or front of the knee from hyperextending. I think it's hammock related, however, for the following reasons:

I get it sometimes when I lay on my back in the hammock with my legs bent froggy-style.

The pain is in both knees, and I've never had knee pain before.

The pain is ON A DIAGONAL!!!! from the bottom of my knee cap upwards and inwards.

The pain started shortly after I set up a hammock in the living room with a Turtle Lady stand and laid in it every evening to watch TV. I SLEEP on my side, but was watching TV on my back.

Since relating the two, I've made an effort not to lay with my legs bent froggy-style, that is to say, bent and angled upwards (does that make sense?) I lay on my side or flat on my back with my legs straight or one knee very slightly bent.

Good luck!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1, HH Bkpkr Ult Asym , GT
    Tarp
    OES Mct, WB Sprfly
    Insulation
    leighlo,HG burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps
    Using my jacket or fleece pant/shirt tucked under the back of my knees helps alleviate discomfort. It, also, serves as insulation since I have 3/4 UQ.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I use an inflatable sit pad since I always have it with me, anyway. Like others have said, many things work that you already have with you, and then they become multi-use items.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I had the exact same issues with knee pain in the gathered end hammock that I had. I tried all the usual solutions mentioned above to no avail and finally switched to a bridge style hammock and since then my knee pains have vanished.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe try a longer hammock.
    I just got a Wilderness Logic Snipe.....11' long. Very flat and really comfortable...my most comfortable.
    Hope you get it figured out.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast