Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Hennessy Hammock overcover from fly?

I have a Hennessy hammock and bought a hex fly for extra coverage and have not used the stock asymetrical tarp since.

It occurs to me that I could use the stock tarp with the advent of winter as an overcover if it is rigged tight to the bugnet for extra insulation.

So, will this work? Or will the material: 70D polyurethane coated polyester ripstop cause condensation problems? As anyone tried this?

Alan

Hammock
    HH/ WBRR
    Tarp
    OES / Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UG
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Wondered about this too. If in a pinch and needed something quick. Its gonna create too much condensation, but what if you kept it pulled back from over your face a good ways. Trap some heat from your chest to your feet.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    It should make a difference if you can get it tight enough to the hammock. Your problem is the sides. I'd try a light shock cord across the bottom (not, see below) or a couple of light weights on the side tie outs. It will vent a bit at the ends and not seal as well as the over cover at the sides as it is bigger than an overcover. As I think about this I think I would use the side tie out points to tie to a common point below the hammock so the sides are pulled in as well as down. That should eliminate a hard spot across the bottom of the hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I might give this a try. I mostly use my 10' x 10' Grand Trunk Funky Forest tarp for winter, so the stock Hennessy is available for experimentation.

I was also thinking of making an overcover from Tyvek, or maybe an old tent tarp. I'm leaning toward the old tent tarp because the material is worn and will probably breathe better than Tyvek or the stock Hennessy.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I've considered using some plastic clamps (the real small cheap kind, like K-mart or the little chip bag clamps) to help clamp your overcover down to the undercover/hammock bottom where you can.

Haven't tried this myself yet, but might play with it at an upcoming hang in a couple of weeks.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings
    The stock Hennessy over cover is uncoated to allow moisture to evaporate between the over cover and the fly. I think you would get lots of condensation without a breathable cover.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    - John Muir

Images
    Condensation will be your major problem to over come. Just read in the current thread about using the Clark Weather Shield and the bad condensation encountered. And I'm not sure, but isn't the Clark WS breathable, and only water repellent? The HH tarp is, of course, waterproof and totally non-breathable?

I imagine you sometimes run into considerable condensation on the inside of your tarp, I sure do. And with the tarp, there is usually a good sized ventilation space between me and the tarp. But if the tarp is cold enough, moisture is going to condense, period.

The Undercover of my HHSS is not breathable( a vapor barrier- VB) and is a potential condensation problem. But I use another VB between my hammock and the insulation that is under me anf the UC that is under that, and I never have any condensation problems. Though some do.

So, if you had a way to vent all of your breath, or to keep your head outside the tarp covered area, and also used VB clothing, you might escape condensation. But I'm not sure how you would rig this on a netted HH. Maybe if you have a zip model?

If you can get around the condensation, the additional wind and water proofing should be a big help.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    you know, I was wondering this myself, to being able to use it as an overcover.
    Since I didn't quite know, I am making a sock out of some rip stop I stumbled upon at Wally World (thanks JustJeff ).
    I would be very interested to see if the stock tarp does perform as an overcover
    function.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    The Hennessy over cover has a hole in it to allow air to move in and out. I have uses a Mylar space blanket in the past, just left a small window open on the down wind side by my face. Some moisture but manageable.
    I wonder how much "condensation" is sweat. Not saying that it cannot be a problem but I have never had a lot of trouble with it. I do change clothes so I'm not trying to get things dry by sleeping in them. Heavy winter underwear makes great pajamas. ;-)

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    The Hennessy over cover has a hole in it to allow air to move in and out.
    As stated the overcover has a vent hole, so don't be too anal about plugging every last air gap using the HH TinyTarp as an OC.

Condensation issues will depend on temperature. At temps 0F and below it doesn't matter if the fabric is breathable or not, the condensate will freeze immediately to the OC.

Try it and let us know how it works.

--Kurt

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast