Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    The cross section of this beam doesn't look like that. I'll try to post a pic tonight.
    To Boldly Hang Where No One Has Hung Before...

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Hey, Cajunhiker,

Could you please take a measurement of the thickness of the web of this beam?

Also, and this might sound stupid, could you stick a magnet to it?
    The reason why I ask is because that beam looks for all the world like two structural c-channels back to back. Honestly, it makes no sense to me why anyone would use an aluminum I-beam in that application. But I could be smoking crack.

Hammock
    BB,HH, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    MacCat, JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Images
    Suggestion:

Try dividing the load force between the post and beam by using either webbing or spyderline connect to a wire carabiner or ring. See attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by IndyDan; 05-22-2008 at 23:18.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Hey, Cajunhiker,

Could you please take a measurement of the thickness of the web of this beam?

Also, and this might sound stupid, could you stick a magnet to it?
    The reason why I ask is because that beam looks for all the world like two structural c-channels back to back. Honestly, it makes no sense to me why anyone would use an aluminum I-beam in that application. But I could be smoking crack.
    I'll bet it is a wooden post wrapped in vinyl covered aluminum, that would be standard house framing/siding practice.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    how 'bout that guy.

I was thinking about substantial solid ends, like a block of wood, with a small number of segments of aluminum tubes between them.

When this problem is solved, then a relatively small and portable hammock stand can be made. The state of the HF art on this is what WBG and pedro have done with aluminum uprights----but on these the horizontal force has to be conveyed (inefficiently) to the ground through cords and stakes. And the ground has to cooperate.

With Issac's idea conveyed to Space Age Materials we can make a stand that doesn't need stakes. Could use a couple of aluminum poles (crossed, perhaps lashed, perhaps) as an endpoint to support one end. The other end could be hung from a tree, or another endpoint made. I have a stand like this except that (i) the horizontal piece is really two 6' long 1" diameter pipe threaded together, with a pair of 2x4's serving as the support end. I want a stand I can bring on an airplane as carry-on luggage (a somewhat arbitrary, but descriptive requirement).

thanks for the patent link

Grizz
    Funny, but I've been thinking along exactly the same lines. From the pictures I've seen of Hennessy's multi-hammock stand (the one shown at the boy scouts function) it looks alot like a bunch of telescoping aluminum tarp poles, as can be found at eastern mountain sports. I'm playing around with something similar, one option could be 1/2" & 3/4" schedule 40 6061 T6 aluminum pipe. Could also do carbon fiber, but even the raw materials for vacuum bagging some tubes of this stuff are pricey. Actually buying carbon fiber tubes of sufficient size would be outragiously expensive! Larger diameter aluminum tubes would probably be the lightest, most cost-effective answer. I'm still noodling around on this in my head. Any insight?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Larger diameter aluminum tubes would probably be the lightest, most cost-effective answer. I'm still noodling around on this in my head. Any insight?
    that's exactly what I'm thinking. I don't have the skills (or for that matter the tools) to get raw tubing though and make fitted pieces. So for now, for me, it is a thought experiment...

Grizz

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    There are rigging systems like Kee-Klamp that turn the whole project into mechano for big boys.

Google cheeseborough, scaffold clamp, or mega-claw for more ideas.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor
    Insulation
    Big Agnes System
    Images
    What if one used a combination of two ideals?

1) Use a clamp to attach to the I Beam, and attach to it some Yale Nylon Brait (APS) Surely the stretch would be mininal on 1 inch, 27,000 lb anchor rope. If not replace with similar load bearing rope.

2) Tie a loop into the rope at desired hanging height.

3) Attach the running end of rope to a ground support. IE your decking beam or in ground anchor.

4) Hang hammock from the loops in rope. If the rope is held under tension when unloaded it should be similar to hanging from a stationary object.

Again I know nylon stretches. A dyneema or spiderline anchor rope would be far superior. I only mentioned this rope, because one would think the forces on a vertical support rope would be much greater than those on a horizontal rope.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    that's exactly what I'm thinking. I don't have the skills (or for that matter the tools) to get raw tubing though and make fitted pieces. So for now, for me, it is a thought experiment...

Grizz
    that's an interesting idea grizz, Texas Towers, The Online Ham Radio Store has aluminum tubing in sizes that fit together, i just cut it with a hacksaw and glued the insert pieces in. i did sand the inserts down some as they fit a little too tightly. i know you're capable of that, you could even make your guinnea pig do the hard part (hacksaw) for you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast