Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I think that tarp ridgelines are a matter of personal preference. Most folks love 'em. I tried it, it was alright, but I found it pretty much just as easy for me to just tie off either "end" of the tarp directly to the tree, using Fig 9s to tension and adjust them as needed.

There are a bunch of great ways to accomplish the same thing...you just need to figure out what you like the best.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmacman View Post
    Do you find the tarps ridge line stays nice and uniform/ straight/ rigid? Thats my only concern towards not getting one large piece of ridgeline from tree to tree?
    If you attach your tarp via tension knots (Prusik or Klemheist) to the CRL, it won't matter whether the line in the middle is taut or not. The ends going to the trees will be, which is what matters.

I find a CRL very useful and easy to set up. It allows me to keep my tarp wrapped up in the Velcro straps I use on it, ready to go above me if the sky drops out. It takes me about thirty seconds to a minute, total, to get from clear sky "watch the stars" set up to monsoon protection. Most of that is actually setting the stakes--so I usually do that beforehand. Easy-peasy.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phnix,Bur,Incu
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    Do you find the tarps ridge line stays nice and uniform/ straight/ rigid? Thats my only concern towards not getting one large piece of ridgeline from tree to tree?
    The ridgeline stays nice and straight. I use 2 prusik knots to attach my tarp and just pull the snake skins over all. By doing this you can easily adjust your tarp to center over your hammock. Also you can quickly store the tarp in the snake skins and gaze at the stars.

Tarp selection + sourcing guyline/ shock cord

Hey guys im still having trouble deciding what tarp i want for the hammock setup, I have decided on;
    WBBB DBL 1.1
    Dutch buckles + Whoopies
    Jacks R Better ridge line
    I want a tarp in a hex or similar shape that will give me cover for cooking on the ground and will protect from rain, however looking at tarps such as the WB Mamajamba it seems a bit overkill for my circumstances, im looking at the MacCat Standard or Deluxe but I cant decide as all the pictures show a different view of the size of it (im just very confused). Any suggestions for a tarp are appreciated.

My other question is what should I use for guylines and where can I source this and strong shock cord for tarp tensioners?

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    As for the tarp, I think you'll be happy with either the Standard or the Deluxe MacCat (the deluxe is about half a meter wider and about 10cm longer) as for the lines JacksRBetter sell self tensioning guy lines that help to keep the tarp taught through the night.

Many people (myself inculded) like Zing-It/Fling for tarp ridgelines. It's light weight and more than strong enough to hold up to a storm. Check Amazon for the price of a spool in Australia. Also a lot of people seem to like having a reflective line for tieouts so that they don't trip over them at night.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Cheers Catavarie, i think i will go with the Deluxe just to offer a bit more shelter, as for the cord, i actually dont intend to use it for the ridgeline rather for tieouts, but i will look into the zing it/ fling, i would like something reflective so i can see it at night. I would also like to buy shock cord as i would like to make some of my own tensioners.

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    Hey guys im still having trouble deciding what tarp i want for the hammock setup, I have decided on;
    WBBB DBL 1.1
    Dutch buckles + Whoopies
    Jacks R Better ridge line
    I want a tarp in a hex or similar shape that will give me cover for cooking on the ground and will protect from rain, however looking at tarps such as the WB Mamajamba it seems a bit overkill for my circumstances, im looking at the MacCat Standard or Deluxe but I cant decide as all the pictures show a different view of the size of it (im just very confused). Any suggestions for a tarp are appreciated.

My other question is what should I use for guylines and where can I source this and strong shock cord for tarp tensioners?
    would this help?

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier....ccat_tarps.php

for guylines go either with mason line, zing-it (i use it on my ogee) or z-line (from zpacks, i use it on my cuben tarp). bunnings stocks shock cord, but i got better quality from a vendor on this forum, maybe ahe iirc. welcome to hf!

Thanks for the input kobold, good to see some more Aussies =)
    Im settled on the MacCat deluxe.
    one other thing i havent considered was a top quilt, i like the look of the ones on hammockgear.com, specifically the 20 degree burrow. Id like something with a nice big footbox to keep my size 12's nice and snug, but more so to keep my whole body nice and secure in the quilt so I dont wake up cold.
    Any suggestions on the quilts is appreciated =)

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    :-) yep. the maccat is a superb choice, you'll love it.

for my top quilts i bought the jrb shenandoah and hudson river. they can be used as underquilts too.

whenever i get cold at night it's almost always from below, so a good underquilt is more important... i really like and use the most the jrb mount washington convertible and i have a hammockgear winter incubator too. just in case

my quilts - minus the shenandoah - are with an ounce or two of overfill and in long versions if offered (i am 185cm). oh and imho the higher fp is not necessarily worth it, but that's just me nitpicking.

Thanks again Kobold =) As for the quilt situation, I would most likely get around 36 degree Fahrenheit nights where i hike, with the lowest realistic being 25 degrees Fahrenheit, would I be best starting with an under quilt and then get a top quilt if i need one?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast