Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Newbie wants full hammock setup.

Hey guys I finally have some cash spare after chrissie to buy a hammock setup, I know quite a bit about them after some previous posts however I know theres some guys and gals out there that are on another level.
    For the main hammock its become a tossup between the Warbonnet blackbird double layer 1.1 or the Hennessy Explorer Ultralite. Now Im not aiming for this to be an ultralite setup, rather a comfortable and easy to use well thought out setup that i can just relax in after a long day of hiking. I am quite set on the Hennessy hex tarp in polyester rather than silnylon as it is only 120 grams more but is much cheaper and wont stretch which is important to me, I wanted the hex shape as I would appreciate the ability to still move around in rain and cook underneath whilst being in a sheltered environment.

The Hennessy is slightly more expensive however you get the tarp with it and they have a promotion at the moment where you get a free small hammock and two sets of snake skins. I like the side foot box of the warbonnet but I wont let it be a deal breaker or maker as i dont mind too much, does anyone with experience think it makes too much difference?

Im also wondering about all the customisable's such as the suspension system the tarp ridge line and so on. I know whoopie slings are meant to be the bees knees but i still cant figure out how they work, im also looking at the triglide setup from Jacks are better, http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Strap%20Set.htm for suspension. Other things im looking at include a continuos ridge line and some dutch clips to just simplify the setup.

My main concerns are comfort and just being able to walk into camp in rain pull out the tarp chuck that up then get the hammock up in snake skins whilst cooking up a brew while the tent noobs get all wet and confined to their tents.
    THANKS FOR ANY INPUT =)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey Feller....sounds like your honing in.......
    I did a video series on hammocking. Part 1 shows whoopie slings. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15516
    Hope it helps.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I think you can meet the requirements you lay out with either hammock system.

I would suggest that there are a couple of factors here that you would need to decide for yourself if they're deal-makers/breakers for you.

I've not used a WBBB...I've got the HH Explorer Deluxw. But I've heard a lot of folks note that the BB 'feels' roomier because of the footbox. I don't know how tall you are...I'm only 5'6"...so I don't know that the footbox would have got me much.

The WBBB 1.1 DBL has another advantage...that double layer allows you to slide a pad or space blanket between the layers (I believe...again, not speaking from experience here). It would also be a decent barrier against mosquitos biting through the bottom.

With all of that said, I've never been bitten through my HHED either, even though it's single layered.

I believe that changing your suspension is pretty much equally simple on either hammock system.

The other question would be whether you're wanting a side-zip or bottom entry. Or if you're wanting to end up with a combo of both (which you can get by getting the HH and sending it off to 2QZQ for a mod).

Either system will likely meet your needs and make you happy.

I would think that if you're taller...the footbox might be your distinguishing feature. If you're not, then the price and multiple entry options might be your main factors.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    If comfort and convenience are your priorities, then the Blackbird is what you want. The footbox and shelf and side zipper make the hammock seem roomy and much more comfortable. Whoopies are neat, but I've found the warbonnet cinch buckle system, with the addition of dutch clips to be effortless to hang and easy to adjust. The BB comes with the Bishop bag and suspension, ready to hang, right out of the box. Nothing against Hennessy, it is a popular hammock, I just feel the blackbird is more comfortable and convenient. YMMV
    (Also, the don't know how bad the skeeters are where you camp, but the double layer makes a difference where the bugs are bad.)

Again some quick responses. And wow Shug Emery! I saw some of your videos and they're pretty helpful ill have to go through the whole series now =) Im just shy of 6ft but im not sure how much more growing ill be doing as im still in the teens and its hard to tell, i've already outgrown my oldest brother (18) mum and dad. The double or single layer dillema dosent phase me too much as the mosquitos aren't on steroids in the WA area and if I have a jumper on and some thicker pants there isn't anyway them mozzies are getting through! As for the bishop sack I still like the look of the snake skins more =) Just a personel thing i guess.

Comfort is a very personal thing. A hammock that 1000 people tell you is the most comfortable thing in the world just might not be for you. The best thing you can do is find a local hang or hangers near you so you can test out a couple of hammocks. The next best thing you can do is watch Shugs videos.
    Or watch Shugs videos while you find a hang near you.... Either way you will be entertained and learn a lot in the process.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I've got an illustration on using Whoopies in my new book that may help as well.

The Hennessy does have everything you need, which was one reason I went with them for my first hammock camping purchase. It's not a bad deal (at the time, I got a free hex tarp with my purchase).

I know the Warbonnet is highly-recommended, but after testing dozens of hammocks, I'm also very happy with the do-it-yourself hammocks I've made. If it works for you, go for it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phnix,Bur,Incu
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    I did a lot of research and listening to others on HF before I made my purchase.I had a friend who had the HH Expedition and let me try it out.I liked it well enough,but the WBBB 1.1 won out for comfort,foot box,and I especially like the shelf.I use whoopies but found I like the straps and buckles just as well. Also my son has a DL Switchback hammock from Tree to Tree Trail Gear that he loves.He is about 6ft and I,m 5'9.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I have the Hennessy Explorer Ultralight, and I can help with a few things.

Both of them should be equally easy to modify to an alternate suspension, unless you want to swap out the Hennessy's stock cord for something else. I have the JRB Tri-Glides, and they're easy to add, set up, and adjust. The trick is to use the stock Hennessy knot to attach to the fixed loop on the end of the Tri-Glides' strap. Then just cut off the excess stock cordage that you no longer need.

The Tri-Glides are easy to set up and adjust--as long as you aren't wearing gloves. They'd be a copper-plated female dog to set up and take down in below-zero (F) temperatures.

However, I got a chance to look at Duffy's strap-and-Dutch Clip suspension system a little bit ago, and it is much easier to set up and adjust. YMMV, but I'm probably going to go with that system on my next hammock.

I'm about 6' and range in weight from 185 lbs to 205 lbs, depending on my current state of fitness. I find that the Explorer Ultralight is comfortable with me, as long as I hang it loosely. Otherwise, I wind up with shoulder squeeze.

I got the free PU-coated hex tarp upgrade with mine, and it truly is roomy. It, however, does stretch; it's made of polyurethane-coated nylon, not polyester (or, at least, it was six months ago). Self-tensioning lines are not hard to make, though, and are pretty much worth their weight in, well, weight if you're going to be facing high winds or rain with a nylon tarp. I find that a continuous ridge line for the tarp eases set-up considerably for me. If you want, I think I have a few photos hanging around somewhere of that.

Unless you're going to be somewhere that the biting insects are so bad that you want to strangle yourself for being so dumb as to go out into them, the side entry model of the Explorer is a lot easier to use (especially if you're getting the hex tarp upgrade) than the bottom entry. Especially in cooler temperatures.

If you have any specific questions, let me know!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Not to add another hammock to the mix but.....take a look at Wildernesslogics.com. The Night Owl and Lite Owl are really well made and very comfortable. I have the Night Owl and just cannot say enough good things about it.
    Both are double layer, come with whoopie slings and tree huggers, unique head and foot box. Bug net and tarp are separate.
    They are very long and lay very flat. I am a side sleeper and am amazed at how comfy I can get in it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast