While shopping at my favorite store (American Science and Surplus), I came across a couple of things that gave me an idea for an ULTRA Lightweight UQ or Top quilt. If you don't have one in your neighborhood, this store carries surplus medical, army and electronic equipment and parts, as well as all kinds of used odds and ends.

Anyway, they had the heavier medical grade emergency mylar blankets there (which isn't my idea yet, so hang on), so I said to myself "Self, pick one of those up for a DIY quilt." I did, then turned the corner and came face to face with the lightest waterproof, breathable, sewable fabric I have ever found. Ready, Drum Roll please.........

"Doctor Operating room scrubs!!" One XL scrub is shaped like one of those awful gowns they give you in the hospital, except it is made out of the lightest paper-like fabric that is tear resistent, waterproof, and SEWABLE". It is not crinkly like tyvek, and appx. dimensions when sleeves are removed are 5'x5'. I bought a couple of them at $4.95 each. A little DIY sewing, some Poly fill - should make an EXCELLENT Summer UQ for a gram weenie. The only issue is the blue color, but maybe I could wrap it in olive 1.1 ripstop?