Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Cool Surgical gown UQ - No sewing

I'll be posting some pics as soon as I can - I threw together a surgical gown UQ last night in 30 minutes using, of course, the surgical gowns I purchased, two Insul~bright sheets and tyvek tape. It's pretty cool - I was sitting around my living room last night with it watching TV and using it as a quilt - it's a pretty good insulator and provides a good bit of warmth. Not one stitch in the thing!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    To create a No-Sew O.R. gown UQ

Supplies Needed: Two O.R. gowns, Tyvek tape, two sheets of Insul~bright fabric.

• Cut off arms of gowns and string ties, leaving two rectangular pieces of fabric

image001.bmp

• Overlap 2 Insul~bright sheets on top of one sheet of OR fabric, and tape Insul~bright sheets together on both sides where they overlap

image003.bmp

• Fold over edge of OR fabric onto Insul~bright, and tape together.

image005.bmp

• Lay top sheet of OR material over Insul~bright, and tape again

image007.bmp
    • Tape the string ties strategically to the outside edge of quilt where needed to hang for your hammock (No picture – have to fit to my hammock yet)
    • Use cut-off arms as skins or end-covers for your hammock? (Have yet to try!)
    Last edited by fin; 05-23-2008 at 13:46. Reason: fixed image attachments - per FishinFinn

Images
    The links to the images in your gallery did not work for me.

Cool project. What is the weight of the finished quilt?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    The links to the images in your gallery did not work for me.

Cool project. What is the weight of the finished quilt?
    If I wouldn't have added the Insul~bright, I bet it couldn't have been more than 3 or 4 ounces, tops. I have a terrible little kitchen scale, but I got 18 oz. on the whole project. The 2 full pieces of insul~bright is what weighed it down. If I went with one sheet and did it as a 1/2 UQ, or cut it instead of overlapping, it would have been much lighter - probably near 12 oz. I need to get a nice, new digital scale now that I actually care what stuff weighs! You guys are going to make me a gram weenie yet! I'm going to weigh a square of the fabric to get a weight on that as well.
    Last edited by fin; 05-23-2008 at 17:17.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Any update on the weight and how well this UQ worked?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Any update on the weight and how well this UQ worked?
    I don't have a scale capable of weighing small amounts, so no update on the weight. I was going to bring it in to work and weigh it on the postal scale, but keep forgetting, and now it is attached to my Clark (yes, my Clark now has a UQ) and packed in it's bishop bag in the bottom of a waterproof bag for my canoe trip this weekend. It works well for the warmer weather (+50) that I've used it in, but I haven't had a chance for a good cold weather test yet. I may actually end up sewing some elastic around the sides and ends rather than a cinch cord to clean up the look of it. But it took me all of 10 minutes to make, and was really cheap.

When I get back, I promise I will take it off the Clark and weigh it.

As a side note, I picked up some pillow cases made of the same material, and was thinking of a no - sew or lightly sewn synthetic fill UQ, stuffing the pillow cases lightly with poly-fill and taping them together, or lightly sewing them. Just another crazy idea, but I like my quilt, and for the cost (~$12) I'm not complaining.

ps. I'm going to have Grizz look at the UQ this weekend and see if he has any tips for it as well.
    Last edited by fin; 08-10-2008 at 23:08.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Weight on the UQ, with attachment ropes was 18.3 oz on my work's postal scale.

Worked more than great on my last trip down to 44* attached to my Clark, however I plan to make some changes.

Need a reinforced channel for the cinch ropes, and I'm thinking of adding some type of side attachments, to keep it close to the hammock body. Sometime in the middle of the night, the UQ shifted more to one side, and I had a cold pocket along one side. I just reached outside the hammock and adjusted it, but I want to avoid that in the future.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Weight on the UQ, with attachment ropes was 18.3 oz on my work's postal scale.

Worked more than great on my last trip down to 44* attached to my Clark, however I plan to make some changes.

Need a reinforced channel for the cinch ropes, and I'm thinking of adding some type of side attachments, to keep it close to the hammock body. Sometime in the middle of the night, the UQ shifted more to one side, and I had a cold pocket along one side. I just reached outside the hammock and adjusted it, but I want to avoid that in the future.
    Are you going to make these changes with tape still, and continue to keep it "no sew"?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Are you going to make these changes with tape still, and continue to keep it "no sew"?
    Yes, but maybe with clear duct tape, and then I'm going to make a sewn Insul~bright with a ripstop shell and compare them. I think the added insulative qualities of the OR material (it's basically a neat sheet, now that I've seen Grizz's,) helped considerably with the comfort level.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Pluq/MSS mummy bag
    Suspension
    Kubinec 3/4in
    Diygearsupply Sells a material called maxima (esd). they claim it is used to make surgical gowns etc.
    http://diygearsupply.com/product/maxima/
    i wonder if this is the same material? or perhaps more durable or easier to work with due to longer available lengths?
    i havnt had any hands on exirience with it yet, but i have been looking into this stuff as a potential Hammock sock or tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12