Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Lightweight UQ?

While shopping at my favorite store (American Science and Surplus), I came across a couple of things that gave me an idea for an ULTRA Lightweight UQ or Top quilt. If you don't have one in your neighborhood, this store carries surplus medical, army and electronic equipment and parts, as well as all kinds of used odds and ends.

Anyway, they had the heavier medical grade emergency mylar blankets there (which isn't my idea yet, so hang on), so I said to myself "Self, pick one of those up for a DIY quilt." I did, then turned the corner and came face to face with the lightest waterproof, breathable, sewable fabric I have ever found. Ready, Drum Roll please.........

"Doctor Operating room scrubs!!" One XL scrub is shaped like one of those awful gowns they give you in the hospital, except it is made out of the lightest paper-like fabric that is tear resistent, waterproof, and SEWABLE". It is not crinkly like tyvek, and appx. dimensions when sleeves are removed are 5'x5'. I bought a couple of them at $4.95 each. A little DIY sewing, some Poly fill - should make an EXCELLENT Summer UQ for a gram weenie. The only issue is the blue color, but maybe I could wrap it in olive 1.1 ripstop?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    That is the same material as the neat sheet is made out of if I understand correctly.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I saw that thread on the "Neat Sheet" a while back. I'll have to go search them out and compare fabric, but I believe you may be right. They are made by Kimberly Clark here in Wisconsin. Has anyone made a UQ out of one yet, and have instructions or pics?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I was reading the thread about the Dri Ducks (Frogg Toggs) poncho, and came to realize that the material of my Frogg Togg suit is the same material as they use in the operating room scrubs, which may in fact also be the same material as the "Neat Sheet" as suggested by RamblinRev.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    There is a DYI thread about a neat sheet multi-quilt.
    I forget who posted it.

Link: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/h...lti-quilt.html

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    That was Headchange4U. Here's the tutorial link you were talking about.

Ah, I see you beat me to it. Oh well.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Eno hammock w/ENO bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY siltarp 6x11
    Insulation
    DIY under quilt
    Images

Neat sheet

Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I was reading the thread about the Dri Ducks (Frogg Toggs) poncho, and came to realize that the material of my Frogg Togg suit is the same material as they use in the operating room scrubs, which may in fact also be the same material as the "Neat Sheet" as suggested by RamblinRev.
    can this be used for a tarp?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Yup, I incorporated neat sheet into my UQ, used hi-loft polyester filling, with tube type center baffles, baffel tubes made from a sheer curtin panel, a 1 1/2" polyester filled roll around the perimiter to insure a good fit to the underside of my HH. The center comes in at about 2 1/2" thick. The neat sheet is the backing for the polyester insulation module. This fits into a super thin RS sack-like cover, shock cords on the ends. A zipper is sewn into the side, so it can be modified with 2 different insulating material modules, depending on the weather, a thicker one for winter, a thinner one in the warmer seasons. Squishes down into nothing in my pack. It is somewhat shaped like the UQ of the ThruHiker DIY. Will be trying it out in the Whites of NH this weekend, and, it's going to be cold. Will post some pictures of the UQ when I get back home. Weight? <9 oz.

Images
    I'm not sure if you are talking about surgical gowns or scrubs. I can not imagine spending any amount of time in a set of scrubs like that. A gown would give up more material to use. They are very hot (at least for me ) to wear while I am assisting in surgery and are waterproof (among other fluidsproof) under most conditions. The gowns we wear are much thinner than the NeetSheet I have but still hold a stitch fairly well. I think that you may be on to something. I played with one as raingear once but it was just too hot. It would pick up leaves and duff just like the NS but as an underquilt it should never touch the ground. It will be somewhat fragile if snagged but no more so than a lot of the other lightweight gear we carry. I am sure it is downproof but not sure I would trust it not to rip. A lot of the seams on ours are welded so sealing with a warm soldering iron might be possible. It might also make a super light weather shield type under cover for down products. They are only waterproof to a certain atmosphere (I forget how much) and I do get blood "strike through" to my skin fairly often if I am leaning against a wet part of the OR table with my arms but for sheding rain it should work great. Let us know how it works and if you get a chance, weigh a sq/yd for us so we can compare it to other fabrics. Who knows, we might even be able to talk the company (Kimberly Clark) into selling a roll of sheet material to us.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast