Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HH Underpad

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by froggfeathers View Post
    Okay. You guys have been super helpful. I have everything set up in the back yard now. I tied in some knots like you said and put the SB on top of the pad and I still have a small gap between me and the pad, but not near as much as I had before and I can actually feel the heat coming off that space blanket. So now I am working to figure out what I am still doing wrong. And again, thank you all for so much help!

Not sure which knots you refer to? None should be needed: just put the side elastics through the correct UC openings and pad loops, and put the hammock suspension rope through the UC end openings ( or new style wrap UC ends around hammock knot cover) and attach to mitten hooks.

Again, do you have old style SS ( hammock ropes are snaked through the UC openings much as with snakes skins, and before attaching hammock rope to the trees) or NEW style? Where the hammock is already suspended from the tree, and yoy just wrap the foot end of the UC around the foot end knot cover of the hammock and attach with a toggle and an elastic loop?

I have a meeting today, so I didn't want to spend too much time playing around with things last night. I will spend more time tonight. However, I am on the right track for sure. I just have to figure out why it isn't touching me. Right at the center of the pad, there is still a 3 inch gap.

I forgot to answer some of the questions. Doing this on a phone is harder than on a computer because you can't see everything.

I am using the foam sell, not the bubble one.
    I have the pad tied down in four places. The bridle strings on the head and foot ends and the side loops on either side.
    I am mostly sure have the side zip ul explorer
    I watched the HH videos you sent me the links to
    I think that's it

I could actually feel the major difference between where the pad was snug against me and where it wasn't. I am feeling like I might make this work with you'alls help, so thanks!
    You are going to get it and I think you are going to be plenty warm! But it is so frustrating reading this because I know if I or some other experienced HHSS user could be there, this could be solved instantly. UNLESS:

1: the SS is defective and needs to be returned. Have you called HH to discuss this? They are usually pretty great on the phone or by e-mail. When I 1st got mine, I was major confused by both the hammock and the SS, and I spent some time with them on the cell phone while I was in the back yard trying to get things to work. Turned out all was dirt simple, I just couldn't figure it out for some reason. Of course, I had never even hung in a hammock, much less tried to insulate one. And here I was about to leave for cold high elevations in Wyoming!

2: the SS is the wrong size for the hammock.

But other than that, all I can think of is some sort of major installation misunderstanding.

a - If I tighten the pad up any more than it is, it wants to fold in half long ways. Is that normal? Oh, and yes i am using the foam pad.
    I can't at all picture how pulling the pad tighter could cause it to fold up on itself length wise. That is def NOT normal. But, if things are installed correctly and you have the correct size SS, it should not matter much about the tension on the pad. Those bridles are not very stout, and it would be really hard to get them so tight as to compress the OCF pad too much, and it won't matter much if they are too loose. Because, the under cover- with it's elastics- provide most of the support for the pad. If the right sized UC is on correctly, the ends of the UC should wrap exactly around the ends of the hammock at the knot cover, right where the rope first becomes visible as it exits the hammock. When installed in this fashion, the UC's elastics should provide enough tension to hold it snugly ( in some spots anyway) right up against the hammock. There should be enough tension to also hold the pad- even with the pad's bridles/suspension not even connected- right up against the hammock.

b - It is still entirely possible that I am laying inside the wrong direction. With a zip up, how do you know which end is the head and which is the foot?
    Highly possible.
    !:The Undercover has an entry opening. Even though you won't use it, this opening should be at whatever end of the hammock that you designate as the foot end. The UC is a custom fit for the hammock, and having it on backwards or upside down will mess things up completely.
    2:There is also a black hem on the UC. This black hem must be on the top! When installed correctly, you can see this black hem coming up over the top edge of the hammock. When you lay in the hammock, you can look to the side and see the black UC hem rising up above your body by several inches.
    3: after these 2 items are lined up correctly and in the right direction, the UC side openings must line up exactly with the side pull outs elastics of the hammock and the pad loops. If they don't line up, then the UC is upside down.

c - I ask because now what is happening is that the pad is mostly off to the side my shoulders are not off too if that makes any sense. You know how you lay sort of caddywampus in a hennesy? Well, the pad wants to be closer to the zipper side and my shoulders want to be away from my zipper side.
    See above about all 3 items being lined up correctly, and double check to make sure you have a #2 SS for your Explorer hammock(same hammock I have), and make sure you do not have a defective SS. But one more thing: you can also put the pad in upside down or backwards. Look at the pad laying out on the floor after it has been out of it's package for several hours. You will see that it is contoured, shaped like a bathtub, meant to wrap around your shoulders. It is also sort of "mummy" shaped, with a wide end for your shoulders and a narrow end for your feet. Also, the inside surface, meant to contact your hammock, is egg crate. So make sure the pad side loops are lined up correctly with the hammock side pull out elastics and the UC side openings, the pad's wide part is towards your head and on the same side of the hammock as your head will be, the egg crate is facing up, the narrow end to the feet, and all of this wrapped around the hammock.

That sounds like a lot to keep straight, but once you get it the 1st time you will be amazed at how straight forward and simple it all is. But I have always said from day one HH could greatly improve this product with color coding, more than just the black hem.

d - Not related to the SS, but which side of the tarp goes up? The slick side or the other side?
    The asym diamond tarp? You can also get the diamond tarp backwards. It does not really matter as long as the asym sides of the hammock are lined up with the asym hammock. If they look backwards, just leave the tarp attached and flip it over so that the asym lines up. It will be pretty obvious which way gives best coverage.

e - It could be I am hanging it too tight? I am female if that makes any difference, so maybe my weight is not causing enough sag in the actual hammock so it is not connecting with the SS?
    I doubt anything is too tight unless you are strong enough to nearly break the hammock ridge line. But just pull the RL reasonably snug, if the RL does not sag after you are in it is plenty tight enough, and then make sure the UC ends are lined up with ( and wrapped around) the hammock end knot covers and nothing backwards or upside down.
    f - Once I get the SS set up properly, would the big agnes bag be best since the underside has no loft?
    Should be just fine. It can be a bear to get inside a sleeping bag in a hammock until you master that learning curve, so you may want to use it as a quilt.

Okay. Again, a million and one thanks. A million and two even
    You are very welcome. you are going to get this and I even suspect you will then be warm enough. Right now you have basically been getting by with nothing at all, with that big gap under you. Right now I'm betting on something is on backwards or upside down, or wrong size or defective SS.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-03-2012 at 12:17.

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralite Explorer
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex
    Insulation
    depends
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    How do you do those multiple quotes? I promise I am not as incompetent as I must seem. I have a job and feed myself and everything!

Okay, enough of that. I have the new supershelter that has the little toggles that make it possible to add the SS after the hammock is hung. And I have it on inside out. The black hem is facing out. Not it. I am going to go swap it around right now and see if that doesn't make the whole world rotate in the right direction. Actually, that might be the long and short of it because it doesn't rise above my head at all. I will post back if it works!

The knots are from what another poster told me to do. He said I might need to to tie knots in it to shorten the shock cords, so I did on the head and foot ends.

I didn't buy it new from HH. I bought it from someone on here who knew a whole lot more about hammocks than I did, but then I promptly (accidentally) deleted the emails and couldn't remember who it was or I am sure he would have helped me figure it all out. Anyway, that is why I haven't called Hennessy. I don't think they would be impressed. But I am fairly sure it is the correct SS for the hammock because if it wasn't it would be too small and not too big, right?

And I have the tarp that comes with the hammock nad the larger hex tarp. I did manage to get it going the right direction, but I wasn't sure if the seams should be facing out or in. I thought in so they didn't collect rain, but the side with the seams is also the shiney side, so I thought maybe the seams were designed to channel rain water somehow. Overthinking the whole thing probably.

I wish I could find some of you pros and see what you are doing. You are so right. It would be much easier and I read the forum, but a lot of what everyone is talking about is hard to visualize if you have never seen it. Shoot, just mucking through the acronyms can be challenging sometimes. "I have a UL bp a-sym with a 2qzq mod and dIY whoopie slings with the OCF and SS..." I am sure your brain automatically translated that sentence into words, but sometimes I want to slit my wrists just trying to read the posts But it's all good and I learn a lot just reading what everyone does on here.

Anyway, I am going to go turn everything right-side-in and inside-out and see what happens. It's supposed to get down to the mid to high 30's tonight, so it will be good test.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex
    Insulation
    depends
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Is there anyplace that tells the name of the hammock other than the original bag? I think I have the wrong sized pad.

Hammock
    HH Deep jungle Safari
    Tarp
    HH Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeplin
    Suspension
    Stock (for now)
    frogg,
    The hennessy web site has the sizes for the pad listed
    #1 is 29" at shoulders, 16" at foot x 72 " long and
    #2 is 36" at shoulders, 18" at feet x 72" long
    Good luck

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    I didn't buy it new from HH. I bought it from someone on here who knew a whole lot more about hammocks than I did, but then I promptly (accidentally) deleted the emails and couldn't remember who it was or I am sure he would have helped me figure it all out. Anyway, that is why I haven't called Hennessy. I don't think they would be impressed. But I am fairly sure it is the correct SS for the hammock because if it wasn't it would be too small and not too big, right?
    You can go to your account page and choose the statistics tab. This allows you to dig through all your old posts. It may he you find the thread where you purchased it, and from whom if you think it will help.
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ftroop94 View Post
    You can go to your account page and choose the statistics tab. This allows you to dig through all your old posts. It may he you find the thread where you purchased it, and from whom if you think it will help.
    Plus, click on "private messages" in the top rt hand corner to go to your own page, and check your PMs. You probably communicated with that person using PMs.

I don't know of anywhere but the original stuff sacks that the name would be on. But you can measure, like XTZ750 said, if you don't have that or trust the info.

You think you have a UL Explorer? Measure the ridgeline. ( if itis hanging, don't pull the lines super tight to avoid any stretch) It should measure about 108". It should weigh about 2 lbs 2-4 oz not counting tree hugger straps, in the original stuff sack.

If you do have an Explorer, the original stuff sack on the SS should say "Super Shelter #2). It should weigh ~ 20 oz, and the pad should be like XTZ750 said, about 35 or 36" wide at the shoulders.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex
    Insulation
    depends
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ftroop94 View Post
    I am going to do just that. Thanks! I deleted it from the received section, but not the sent. Yay.

Quote Originally Posted by XTZ750 View Post
    frogg,
    The hennessy web site has the sizes for the pad listed
    #1 is 29" at shoulders, 16" at foot x 72 " long and
    #2 is 36" at shoulders, 18" at feet x 72" long
    Good luck
    Yep. I saw that on the website and I for sure have the #1 pad an I am 99% sure I have the UL explorer. I am going to go through my bag of extra bags and see if I can find the original bag and then if I can't see if I can find the guy I bought it from. He was super nice.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    You think you have a UL Explorer? Measure the ridgeline. ( if itis hanging, don't pull the lines super tight to avoid any stretch) It should measure about 108". It should weigh about 2 lbs 2-4 oz not counting tree hugger straps, in the original stuff sack.

If you do have an Explorer, the original stuff sack on the SS should say "Super Shelter #2). It should weigh ~ 20 oz, and the pad should be like XTZ750 said, about 35 or 36" wide at the shoulders.
    Thanks. And I figured out how to do the multiple quotes. It actually works when you are not messaging from a phone.

I would say last night was a success. The coldest part of the night got to ~40 and I was mostly warm. If I got a little cold, I just shifted around and all was well and I wasn't even all the way zipped up in my bag. My dog was unimpressed when I tried to use her for a heating pad, but we worked it out. And when I checked under me, the pad was snugged right up against the hammock. Yay to all of you! I do have the smaller pad and I do think I am supposed to have the larger pad, so that's easy to fix if that's the case.

Again, thank you all so very much. I am a happy kid! Now I just bought a used set-up for my daughter. It is the UL backpacker with a JRB Nest UQ. Should I pick up a SS for that hammock as well? It seems like a SS plus and UQ would be a year around combination?

Thank you thank you thank you! Now I can't wait for the snow to melt!

Images
    Thanks. And I figured out how to do the multiple quotes. It actually works when you are not messaging from a phone.
    Oh, I meant to answer that question but I forgot. Anyway, you figured it out!

I would say last night was a success. The coldest part of the night got to ~40 and I was mostly warm. If I got a little cold, I just shifted around and all was well and I wasn't even all the way zipped up in my bag. My dog was unimpressed when I tried to use her for a heating pad, but we worked it out. And when I checked under me, the pad was snugged right up against the hammock. Yay to all of you!
    WhooHoo! And WhoooBuddy! It looks like you are getting it for sure, if it is now snug and you are mostly warm at 40. There are folks who, even though the SS works for them, can't take it below 40 without some augmentation. Many can, but not all. People vary widely with any kind of insulation. Not to say you can't go to 30 or even 20, but if you are warm at 40 you are not doing bad for the weight and price.

I do have the smaller pad and I do think I am supposed to have the larger pad, so that's easy to fix if that's the case.
    OK, that's a bummer if you have the Explorer, but it can still work. As it was sold to you as a system, are you sure you don't have a Backpacker UL or an Expedition? (again, measure that ridgeline) I think the real problem would be if you have the smaller UC ( and you probably do if you have the smaller pad) used on the larger Explorer hammock. It might be stretched too tight lengthwise, possibly damage something. Width wise, pad or UC, you can probably get by- if it is too tight- by just leaving the foot end side pull outs- the hammock elastics through the pad side loops and UC side openings- undone. And be careful with that pad it is fragile.

Again, thank you all so very much. I am a happy kid! Now I just bought a used set-up for my daughter. It is the UL backpacker with a JRB Nest UQ. Should I pick up a SS for that hammock as well? It seems like a SS plus and UQ would be a year around combination?

Thank you thank you thank you! Now I can't wait for the snow to melt!
    No problem! I'm sure we are all tickled it is starting to work for you! BTW, is that UL Backpacker you got smaller than your other hammock? Does it weigh ~8 oz less and have a RL about 7 or 8" shorter? If so, then your other hammock is probably an Explorer. And if you have the #1 SS- the smaller pad and UC- you can just use it on the Backpacker UL for which it was designed, and use the Nest on your larger hammock!

You don't need to get a SS to go with your Nest unless you just want to. Your Nest ( might be a learning curve with that also) should be at least as warm as the SS. However, if you are wanting to go to zero, and you like the SS, no reason not to use them together with the Nest outside the SS. There is a guy here, Blackout, who just wintered in Alaska with that combo. And, if you can overcome most of the UC's elastic compression, and IF you are confident of your space blanket/vapor barrier skills,
    ( blasphemy warning!) you can even put that Nest down in the UC for a tremendous boost. Like I suggested about putting fleece jackets down there, but way more warmth. One guy here( kwpapke), by adding a down summer bag below the pad and space blanket, was warm and dry at MINUS 27.

Even though it looks like you are working it out, I just thought of another way to go wrong besides having it on backwards or upside down. The HHSS is designed for a bottom entry. With that, you always sit then lay down with your feet to the right of the bottom opening and your head to the left, same way every time. But you have a zip model, so you can lay either with your head towards the zipper or away from the zipper, and with head towards either end. Once you have the SS UC foot end opening on the designated ( by you ) foot end of the hammock, you will have to lay with your head to one side ( not sure if zipper side or other side ) or else you will not have good coverage from the pad. IOW, once you have the SS correctly set up with the foot end of the UC and foot pad(narrow end) I think you are going to then have to lay with your head to the left and feet to the right. Or you will not be positioned right on the pad.

Also, be careful with the space blanket. You probably want as little insulation ( and that preferably fleece) between you and the sb/vapor barrier as possible. So, in order top to bottom: TQ or bag used as TQ ( though I have often got away with being inside the bag, but I think some sweat or have condensation if they are in the bag on top of a sb), you, the hammock, the space blanket, the HH pad and all other insulation you decide to add to the system, mostly under the pad.

Keep us posted on your success or otherwise!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-04-2012 at 14:17.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex
    Insulation
    depends
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    OK, that's a bummer if you have the Explorer, but it can still work. As it was sold to you as a system, are you sure you don't have a Backpacker UL or an Expedition? (again, measure that ridgeline) I think the real problem would be if you have the smaller UC ( and you probably do if you have the smaller pad) used on the larger Explorer hammock. It might be stretched too tight lengthwise, possibly damage something. Width wise, pad or UC, you can probably get by- if it is too tight- by just leaving the foot end side pull outs- the hammock elastics through the pad side loops and UC side openings- undone. And be careful with that pad it is fragile.
    I measured and I for sure have the UL explorer. 108" ridgeline. I can't find the bag and I bought it off of Whiteblaze, so no history since I cleared my inbox, but I measured. I did find the SS bag and it says for the explorer UL and Explorer deluxe. But my pad is for sure the smaller pad, so maybe the previous owner just swapped them out. I will just buy a replacement pad from HH and I bet I will be dead on then. it has a tear in it anyway.

I think my UC is fine once i turned it right-side out. It seems to have plenty of room and my getting cold was just because I had moved off the pad, so a wider pad will fix that.

No problem! I'm sure we are all tickled it is starting to work for you! BTW, is that UL Backpacker you got smaller than your other hammock? Does it weigh ~8 oz less and have a RL about 7 or 8" shorter? If so, then your other hammock is probably an Explorer. And if you have the #1 SS- the smaller pad and UC- you can just use it on the Backpacker UL for which it was designed, and use the Nest on your larger hammock!
    Oh, and the UL backpacker hasn't come in yet, but it doesn't have the SS. I might just watch on here. They show up fairly often.

One guy here( kwpapke), by adding a down summer bag below the pad and space blanket, was warm and dry at MINUS 27.
    This may be too much information but...even if I could get myself warm enough at those temps I don't think I would try. And the reason I would not try is because as sure as the sun rises in the East, I would have to pee in the middle of the night and for us girls, that is no small matter with multiple layers on. We go in and out of dreams trying to McGyver a way to take care of our problem without actually having to get out of our sleeping bag. It never works. 'Nuff said. If I can just get warm in the low 30's my world will be wonderful.

IOW, once you have the SS correctly set up with the foot end of the UC and foot pad(narrow end) I think you are going to then have to lay with your head to the left and feet to the right. Or you will not be positioned right on the pad.
    Yeah, I got that all worked out last night before I put the bag in there. I turned this way and that way and then picked myself up off the ground because I had only put in temporary half-hitch knots and forgot to go fix them and then played around with the pad and got it all figured out...I think.

Also, be careful with the space blanket. You probably want as little insulation ( and that preferably fleece) between you and the sb/vapor barrier as possible. So, in order top to bottom: TQ or bag used as TQ ( though I have often got away with being inside the bag, but I think some sweat or have condensation if they are in the bag on top of a sb), you, the hammock, the space blanket, the HH pad and all other insulation you decide to add to the system, mostly under the pad.
    Okay. I used my big agness and it only has a sleeve on the underside because you are supposed to put the insulated air mattress in there. It seemed to work well. The problem with BA is that they don't pack down very small. My cat's meow gets smaller. Maybe I should do another practice run with it as a quilt. Now, tell me if I'm wrong, but a thin piece of polar fleece material under the pad would probably just seal the deal. Polar fleece doesn't collect condensation and it weighs next to nothing. It can be bulky, but that's workable. So the order would be - TQ, me and my dog, hammock, SB, pad, polar fleece, UC?

Keep us posted on your success or otherwise!
    I will and so much thanks!
    Last edited by froggfeathers; 03-04-2012 at 23:26.

Images

Okay. I used my big agness and it only has a sleeve on the underside because you are supposed to put the insulated air mattress in there. It seemed to work well. The problem with BA is that they don't pack down very small. My cat's meow gets smaller. Maybe I should do another practice run with it as a quilt. Now, tell me if I'm wrong, but a thin piece of polar fleece material under the pad would probably just seal the deal. Polar fleece doesn't collect condensation and it weighs next to nothing. It can be bulky, but that's workable. So the order would be - TQ, me and my dog, hammock, SB, pad, polar fleece, UC?................
    You got it! Whatever you add in that fashion will add warmth, a little or a lot, depending on the insulation used. Just a good idea, unless you are already plenty warm without needing anything else: If you have it with you, and don't need to wear it in your bag to keep warm on top, just put it down under the pad in the UC. To try and get that luxury warmth. And many think tjhat the warmer you can get on the bottom, the less you need on top. And that bulkiness of fleece is an advantage in the UC. It's bulky because it compresses very little. So no worries about the UC,s elastics compressing all of the loft.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast