Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* UQ 40* TQ
    Suspension
    WS & tree huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwolfy View Post
    Hokie, did you get a HG UQ? Which one?

I found with my Incubator that you have to lay it down on the ground to figure out the head end. Its shaped like like an old pine coffin lid - that is to say, wider at the shoulders.
    I got their 3/4 UQ. I knew about the cut on it. I won't really know for sure if it will work until I hang in it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    My under quilt(UQ) is rated to 20F and even though I'm a warm sleeper I don't overheat in it. But one advantage I have is, I use a Mount Washington 3 convertible from Jacks-R-Better. It separates into 2 pieces so it goes from a full length UQ, in winter, to a 2/3's length, in summer. With just a piece of good velcro and a draw cord worth of of weight, it becomes almost a 4-seasons UQ. I used it below 0F, with a pad, without getting cold yet. This nice piece of kit enables me to get away with only having to buy one UQ.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Everyone varies in thier sleeping "temperature" as others have said. I generally use a 3/4, 40 degree phoenix (known as the "Summer Phoenix" until recently), with no overstuff as my go-to quilt. I've taken it to 27 degrees, and slept comfortably. I would say 25 degrees is it's limit.

I sleep warm, so I can generally take temperature ratings about 10 - 15 degrees lower than stated.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    My under quilt(UQ) is rated to 20F and even though I'm a warm sleeper I don't overheat in it. But one advantage I have is, I use a Mount Washington 3 convertible from Jacks-R-Better. It separates into 2 pieces so it goes from a full length UQ, in winter, to a 2/3's length, in summer. With just a piece of good velcro and a draw cord worth of of weight, it becomes almost a 4-seasons UQ. I used it below 0F, with a pad, without getting cold yet. This nice piece of kit enables me to get away with only having to buy one UQ.
    I don't see this on their site, is it custom orderable?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJJ View Post
    I don't see this on their site, is it custom orderable?
    I don't see it either, it's gone from their quilt comparison chart too . It was there last time I went to drool over down sleeves a little while ago. I'm not sure if they make'n'm anymore. It'd be a shame if they stopped. I may have a collector's item now. If you're interested PM pan, maybe they'd make one for you.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* UQ 40* TQ
    Suspension
    WS & tree huggers
    Tried the UQ this morning. It was 22* here. I used a 30* sleeping bag as a TQ just to hang for a while and get a feel for things. I cinched up both ends of the UQ and jumped in. First I was right I"m a little wide for the UQ at the shoulders but the outer part of my shoulders didn't get cold. Between my shoulder blades was a different story I seemed to get a little bit of a cold spot right between my shoulder blades and any time I fidgeted a little bit the cold spot would hit then slowly go away so I'm not sure if it was because I didn't have it cinched enough or to much. Any feedback?

Other then the cold spot between the shoulders I was as snug as a bug in a rug.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hanginghokie View Post
    Tried the UQ this morning. It was 22* here. I used a 30* sleeping bag as a TQ just to hang for a while and get a feel for things. I cinched up both ends of the UQ and jumped in. First I was right I"m a little wide for the UQ at the shoulders but the outer part of my shoulders didn't get cold. Between my shoulder blades was a different story I seemed to get a little bit of a cold spot right between my shoulder blades and any time I fidgeted a little bit the cold spot would hit then slowly go away so I'm not sure if it was because I didn't have it cinched enough or to much. Any feedback?

Other then the cold spot between the shoulders I was as snug as a bug in a rug.
    Did you shake it out before you hung it up, to distribute the down? You may have had a little spot where the down wasn't up to the top.

Then, cinch that thing up tighter on the shoulder end- it should hold your hammock up when no one is in it.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I had a couple of cold spots when I was sorting mine out too. I thought about putting more bungee on the loops along the sides. I talked to Adam via phone. He said to take out about 3" of the bungee by tying a square knot about 3" up from the first one on the end. Then re-hang it over the gathered ends. This will draw the UQ up tighter on your backside. Repeat as needed.

The second thing he said (which really helped) was to find the loop between the shock cords on one end and to attach it with a bungee to the gathered end. He said that by attaching these two loops at each end, it will pull up the middle of the UQ along it's length to match the sag of the hammock.

Let us know how it's going...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    Do they still sell convertibles? I am looking on the site now and I see no mention of a "convertible style" under Mt. Washgint 3. That is a great idea...
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123