Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images

my screenname

As I was thinking about a name for the forum, I thought about camping experiences with the Boy Scouts of America and the many positive experiences... I am an Eagle Scout with two Silver Palms. Each Silver palm represents 15 merit badges over those required for Eagle.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Mamajamba camo
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Hawaii Five-0

All of the Law Enforcement Officers and thugs will know this...

It is a slang name for police officers. Mostly as a warning to other thugs.

When I first got on the SWAT team, back in the 80s, when we went to serve a search warrant (usually high risk) the thugs would yell "Five O" which is a reference to the television show "Hawaii Five-0"... not the new one, the old one from back in the 70s. Of course, hearing "Five O" caused a lot of thugs running in different directions. I've never seen the new show and didn't often watch the old one.

Later, when working on a double homicide, I was in some of the seedier parts of Birmingham trying to locate the suspects and heard it often. These were areas where plain clothes 40 year old white guys really stand out.

I just retired this month, so won't likely be hearing it again. Therefore, I've thought of changing my screen name to "Gramps", which is my grandfather name.

Hammock
    HH Asym
    Tarp
    Hex
    I haven't a clue.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Big Ol' Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, Mummy TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopish Things
    My screen name is also my trail name, and it's sort of two part. The first is my love of Robert Frost's poetry. I've read all his work and have been known to quote him from time to time.

The second, and most important, is to honor a good friend I served with, SSgt. Christopher Frost, who was killed in 2008 in Iraq. His callsign was Frosty, which was my first thought for a trail name. It felt wrong to use something that was so perfectly and completely his though. We both enjoyed hiking and camping, and though he wasn't the Soldier-Poet Robert Frost wrote about (the boy couldn't rhyme worth a darn), he enjoyed me rambling on about whatever poet or author had my fancy at the time. He and I both always liked 'The Lone Striker', which I have quoted in my signature, in particular. It just felt right to go with Frost as a tribute to both.
    Last edited by Frost; 01-13-2012 at 23:22.

If - if he stood! Enough of ifs!
    He knew a path that wanted walking
    He knew a spring that wanted drinking
    A thought that wanted further thinking.
    A love that wanted re-renewing

"A Lone Striker" Robert Frost

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    FiveOh: Stick with the name. Nobody more than a seasoned copper can know how much, originally, the man has to fit the mold, but the job forms him in ways that can't be undone.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveOh View Post
    All of the Law Enforcement Officers and thugs will know this...

It is a slang name for police officers. Mostly as a warning to other thugs.

When I first got on the SWAT team, back in the 80s, when we went to serve a search warrant (usually high risk) the thugs would yell "Five O" which is a reference to the television show "Hawaii Five-0"... not the new one, the old one from back in the 70s. Of course, hearing "Five O" caused a lot of thugs running in different directions. I've never seen the new show and didn't often watch the old one.

Later, when working on a double homicide, I was in some of the seedier parts of Birmingham trying to locate the suspects and heard it often. These were areas where plain clothes 40 year old white guys really stand out.

I just retired this month, so won't likely be hearing it again. Therefore, I've thought of changing my screen name to "Gramps", which is my grandfather name.
    Congrats on the retirement. I'm almost in the same boat. I'll be burning down my accrued time starting February 1st and will retire August 31st.

Hammock
    HH DJ XL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 Tarp
    Insulation
    Pad (for now)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    So I used to be pretty thin...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Foam Pad
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Oh Boy. It is sarcasm like calling a big guy Tiny...YEAH...seriously

So I have been in boy scouts a long time. While serving my second tour as Scoutmaster I was correcting a young man and mentioned he would have to act appropriately as long as I stayed "fat, bald and white"...honestly there very little chance of any of those three adjectives changing.

I lost my hair with child three of four. I lost my feet in '98 when I got out of the Army...they are under there...I just can't see them.

So I am "Fat Daddy"...

Remember campers it is going to rain on us, if you can't find a way to have fun in the rain, you should probably stay inside.
    We never fail when we try to do our duty, we always fail when we neglect to do it. -- Robert Baden-Powell

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    Mine comes from the fact that my last name is Damm which everyone I know loves to incorporate into conversation. The fast comes from my days as a college cross country and track runner. My running buddies and I all had nick names in college that we put on our summer road race jerseys. These names were picked by committee mine always and I mean always had Damm in it. Since then Dammfast just always stuck.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing
    From reading all these posts I'm figuring out that I am more boring and unoriginal that I originally thought I was.

Jay, short for Jason. F, first letter of my last name. 124, I'm the 124th Air Force graduate of Army Ranger school since the first two Airmen graduated (class 10-55) in 1955.

Came up with JayF124 for an email address in 2000.....right after graduating...and it kind of stuck over the years.

• + New Posts
  • Page 23 of 247 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast