Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Update

I heard from Stormcrow. The man is a saint. He's offered to help me out of this jam.

The quilt will be delayed for a few days, but it looks like it will definitely be finished in time for the Ohio hang!
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

It's Done!!!

Well, it's complete! If it wasn't for Stormcrow, it likely wouldn't have been done in time for next weekend. Not only was I able to purchase 16oz of 900 fill power off of him, as I was talking to him, Jenny even put it in the quilt for me! A big thank you to Adam, Jenny, and their family for being so gracious! The man knows his stuff about quilts, and I got to see his attention to detail first hand. I have nothing but high praise for Hammock Gear's work.

With that said, back to the quilt. This thing is a monster. 5 inches of loft across the board, 41" wide by 72" long. As previously stated, 16oz of 900FP down. Being that my 3/4 summer Phoenix has kept me warm down to 27 degrees (never taken it colder), I have to guess this will at least go to 0 degrees, easily. I'm going to mock up a Tyvek UQP as well that should take it even lower...now, only if Ohio's winter would actually show up in force

Final weight, with suspension (3/16" shock cord) in the stuff sack is 33.60oz or 951g

I can't wait to try it out! I wrapped it around my shoulders outside like a cape, and I actually got hot just standing there (it was 24 degrees outside). I may only actually get to use it once or twice a year, but my wife will probably use it in early spring or late fall if she gets out.

A big thanks to everyone on here for thier various calculators, how-tos, tip, tricks, and inspiration. I have one more request...please send some cold weather!
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    Check me out on YouTube!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I forgot to post an update. I used the quilt at the Ohio hang a few weeks ago, and it worked flawlessly! I ended up needing to vent it at 20 degrees, which I kind of expected, but otherwise, it was perfect!

Unfortunatley, I didn't get any pics of it hanging in the snow, but I was able to snap these pics of my little girl/ hammock thief in a "canoe" in our basement to give an idea of what it looks like on my WBBB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    Check me out on YouTube!

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You did awesome dude and I bet that will for sure keep you warm down to 0*.

You gotta love the folks at HG, they're always helping out.

Fronkey

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCStang View Post
    I forgot to post an update. I used the quilt at the Ohio hang a few weeks ago, and it worked flawlessly! I ended up needing to vent it at 20 degrees, which I kind of expected, but otherwise, it was perfect!

Unfortunatley, I didn't get any pics of it hanging in the snow, but I was able to snap these pics of my little girl/ hammock thief in a "canoe" in our basement to give an idea of what it looks like on my WBBB
    Very nice! Glad to hear it worked out so well! Vented at 20-degrees is awesome!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    USMCStang

I am planning my underquilt...I see you used grosgrain on all the edges. What size did you use? ( I am planning 2" seam allowance)

Is it necessary to use Grosgrain on all the sides?

Thanks for your help!
    15 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.
    1 Timothy 1:15

Everyone ends up somewhere. Very few people end up somewhere on purpose.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adbaston07 View Post
    USMCStang

I am planning my underquilt...I see you used grosgrain on all the edges. What size did you use? ( I am planning 2" seam allowance)

Is it necessary to use Grosgrain on all the sides?

Thanks for your help!
    I used 1.5" Grosgrain all around. Stormcrow uses 1", but he's obviously a pro when it comes to this stuff. It's not a must, because you can just use a rolled hem in the ripstop if you want channels, or you can sew tabs and not use channels at all. Ultimately, I feel grosgrain gives a cleaner look and it is more abrasion resistant; it adds some weight and bulk. Considering that it's a full length, there is not much adjustment needed by sliding along the channels created with grosgrain, but I could see the ends wearing a little thin where they cinch down.

If I ever have a problem with one of the channels, it will be much easier to simply rip the grosgrain stitching out than to open up the quilt by ripping a rolled hem out.

I used 2" seam allowance on the sides, and 1" on the ends. If you are making a differential cut UQ, make sure you understand how the darts work before sewing it up. It seems to be the most asked about thing when discussing DIY UQs. If you can't visualize it in your head, take two sheets of newspaper, and cut one to be a few inches shorter and narrower than the other. Pinch the ends and sides of the larger piece at the edges until it is the same width and length as the smaller piece...you now have "darts".

Take your time, measure twice, cut once, and good luck
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    Check me out on YouTube!

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    Dan's under-quilt
    This thread has been a huge help in that I did not know what baffles really did or how they worked. Now that I see how it is done I am finally ready to start on my own. I am still not exactly sure about the amount of down I will need to use but that will come too I reckon. I would be using it on my HH so if I put a grommet on each side where the side tie outs come off the hammock would that help keep it lined up along the sides Also would it be a good idea to crop the corners at the head and feet ends so you lose a little of the weight? I was going to make the ends close around the hammock straps like the HH super shelter does.

Hope that makes sense...

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images
    Great job. Many points here will help to inform my project, too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123