Question 1st DIY Insulation Project

I've ordered the materials to start my first DIY insulation project. I want to try my hand at a under quilt or top quilt (leaning toward under quilt). I've been reading and reading and reading on HF and believe I've got the concept and ideas down for the most part. My biggest concern is what measurements I should start out with.

I'm in south Alabama and would simply like a quilt that would be comfortable down to between say 30-40 degrees. Looking for a 3/4 length quilt. In Alabama, with a top quilt with a footbox and good clothing I don't see the need for a full length one. I also would like a way to vent it for the warmer nights (which are more common). I'm 6'2 and fairly large build at about 220 lb. I've got plenty of M90 from thru-hiker along with about 15 oz. of 900fp down. I'm hoping the down will be enough to make a top and under quilt but I really have no idea.

Anyways, after all that, finally I'll get to my questions. First, I'd like to get some input as to what the starting length and width should be for the inner and outer shell. I do want it to be differentially cut. Secondly, what baffle height should I go for and how much down per chamber for my temperature requirements?

Last thing doesn't have anything to do with measurements, but I'm still a little confused on how to finish the baffles on the ends and are there any reasons to or not to put in darts on each end?

I know I'm asking alot and I'm still mulling through all of the information I've already found, but would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    15oz will make you a few top quilts. Make a few sell those and then make a peapod haha!
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

I'm thinking underquilt, then top quilt, then pillow.

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Also in AL

Sounds like you had some of the same questions that I had when I finally put needle and thread to fabric. I used the spreadsheet by Meteor if I'm not mistaken to help with my under quilt baffle spacing and sized of the inner and outer shell. If you do a top quilt you won't need differential baffles.

Check out this thread where I show my project and discuss some of the questions I came across and how I handled them. I was able to make an underquilt with 7oz of ~750+ fill power down and tested it successfully to below freezing. If you have any specific questions PM me. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=42762

the spreadsheet helps alot. now my biggest concern is about sewing the end of the baffles. any tips or advice?

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm in the middle of building a full length winter UQ myself. It's also my first major project (I hit a snag a few days ago, but it will be finished within a week). I tried to take some helpful pics as I went along.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=44783

With regards to darts, you don't require "proper" darts, but you do have to find a way to match the width and length of the edges of the larger, differentially cut outer shell with the width and length on the inner shell. Some people just kind of "pucker" the fabric as they go along. I used darts to get it within an inch or two, and sewed a final one in the middle of the head and foot ends to get a match.

For the record, I did not sew the ends of the baffles. I figured that my quilt is long enough that the large majority of the down will stay in it's "assigned" chamber, and if it does migrate, I can just work it back over the open ended baffle to where it needs to be...similar to how the guys with Karo Step quilts do.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCStang View Post
    For the record, I did not sew the ends of the baffles. I figured that my quilt is long enough that the large majority of the down will stay in it's "assigned" chamber, and if it does migrate, I can just work it back over the open ended baffle to where it needs to be...similar to how the guys with Karo Step quilts do.

Good Plan!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts