Sewing a rolled edge

I think I have the hammock bug. I went out and bought some rip stop and put together a hammock yesterday and slept in it last night. My problem is the seems. i was planning on buying a thread injector but the lady that was going to sell it to me changed her mind so I need to take to someone to hem it for me. Can someone tell me how much I should pay. It is a lot of material 15 yards or does someone know of some other way to seal the seems. I'll have to post pics nothing fancy but its comfy and it kept me worm down to 40 degrees last night.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The edges will fray unless they are melted. A hot knife is the preferred way to cut ripstop. If you don't have a hot knife (I don't), you can improvise. I have used a cheap electric soldering iron for this. Get it hot, and just run the tip across the fabric edge at a speed which fuses the threads, but does not blob up too much.

Even if you get the edges hemmed, they should be heat-sealed first.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    The edges will fray unless they are melted. A hot knife is the preferred way to cut ripstop. If you don't have a hot knife (I don't), you can improvise. I have used a cheap electric soldering iron for this. Get it hot, and just run the tip across the fabric edge at a speed which fuses the threads, but does not blob up too much.

Even if you get the edges hemmed, they should be heat-sealed first.
    +1

I'm building an UQ right now, and although I don't have a hot knife, I used a candle to seal the edges. You don't want to put the nylon in the flame, but about .75" above it. My wife happened to have an old glass candle holder that holds votive candles, and the top is just the right height. I simply lit the candle, and slid the edge of the nylon right over the glass top at a rate of roughly 3 seconds per foot. It leaves a tiny little sealed edge.

Obviously, practice on scrap first...i did, and quickly found out exactly how quick nylon will melt before dialing it in.

As far as hemming, you could always do it by hand, but it won't be as strong as a machine stitch unless you're really good at lockstitching. Sorry, I can't help you on the cost of having someone do it, but I cant imagine four straight seams would cost all that much.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    If (and this is really an edge case, but...) you have a hot knife cutter for styrofoam, including the ones that have the resistance wire that looks like a bow, you can use that to cut ripstop just fine.

Just a thought.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    IMHO, I haven't seen the selvage ever fray. You don't HAVE to hem it, though it will likely last longer. (see Below)

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...hlight=selvage

You indicated that you have 15yds of material, but a 10' or 11' hammock isn't THAT big. You can try your local cleaners and alterations shop. I'd bet they'd do it for $10.

If not, and you still want it hemmed, check the local sewing shop... Somebody will do piece work... Hemming isn't that hard.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Another substitute for a hot knife is a wood burning tool with a chisel tip. Costs about $10 to $15 at your local craft or hobby shop. Works great and you can 'sharpen' the chisel edge with a flat file as needed...

thanks guys

Thanks guys i sealed the ends with a soldering iron came out alright. im going to a dry cleaner tomorrow to see if the will put a rolled edge on.

• + New Posts