Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite

Please help. Which LINE!!!

First off let me appologize for the redundancy of this post, but I really do need help with this. I've searched and read hundreds of posts, but there are as many types of line that I could use for a hammock as there were posts that I read about the issue. I want a line that is going to be light, hold a knot well, and be able to confidently hold me up (I weigh 190lbs). Something like this might qualify as the illusive "holy grail", but I'll be honest, outside of what the manufacture tells me about different lines, I don't know one from the other. I think I am going to buy some figure 9s today also (unless there is a better option I don't know about), and I might buy the caribiner version so that I can still use my tree huggers. So, like so many other times, what, from ya'lls (yeah I'm from the south and we say ya'll...haha) experiences meets these qualifications. Also, does anyone see anything wrong with this suspension? Again, sorry if this is redundent, but I searched all day yesterday and never did find a clear answer to my question.
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
    Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
    With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
    But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can't go wrong with Amsteel 7/64 from APS. Many here use it and, if it's strong enough for my 290 lb fat ***, it will be fine for you.

Images
    I have not read the whole Figure 9 thread, but I thought they were not strong enough for a suspension.

Have you looked at ring or cinch buckles? I use the cinch buckles and love them. I use a short length of coated dyneema line to connect the hammock to the cinch buckle with a Prusik knot.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Schneiderlein is right, you don't want to use Figure 9's for suspension. Look at ring or cinch buckles and reserve the Figure 9's for tarps and stuff. Short length of line, buckle, and webbing is all you need.

Images
    Just as I was done reading Tobit's post, I saw this random image from Turk's gallery on the home page.

So, maybe the Figure 9's are strong enough?

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I dunno, I wouldn't trust it at my weight. I also don't like rope on tree, webbing has much less impact on a tree than rope.

Images
    the large figure nines haven't failed on anyone yet. don't know how many here use them though. i hung from the fig 9 mini (the one for tarp lines) just to see how strong it was. one held my weight but bent severely and another one broke. (these are the mini's that broke, not the ones people were using for suspensions) the large nine is 10 times heavier than the mini's and is probably fine to use. several used them for a little while and then moved on to making their own more specialized and lighter devices. there was some concern that the fig 9's are cast aluminum rather than extruded, meaning there could be some lemons out there. i think if you gave them a good bounce test to make sure you didn't have a lemon, and it held, you should be fine. the 150#rating is a safe working load, the actual breaking strength is unknown but much higher. if you weigh 190, and hang with a decent amount of sag (30 deg. sag angle) you are only putting 190# on each support, each fig 9. this is barely over the recommended safe working load of the device, and well under the breaking strength, but test them and use them at your own risk. you should check out the fig 9 thread, there are lots of other devices people made by hand that are lighter and better suited for a suspension adjuster.

using webbing only will be heavier than line/straps, even more so if you carry a long suspension for large trees or long hangs. lines and tree straps are signifigantly lighter even if you use an adjustment device. the amsteel blue (available in several colors) and the vectrus 12 are other good single braids. these and the covered spyderline which is also popular can be found at www.apsltd.com i like the high tech single braids for ease of tying and untying and overall handling. go with a 3mm. the 7/64 mentioned above is used by a few as well and is almost 3mm. anything above 1600# or so should be adequate.

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    Thanks guys

And war,
    I checked the figure 9 thread and saw some of the things that people did to the 9s. It was nothing short of amazing. However, I have to admit that I didn't read all 64 (may be more my now) pages of the thread. I didn't see much about the caribiner one though. Oh well.

Also, you mentioned something about a strap. Maybe I don't know as much about the "tree hugger" style straps as I thought I did. What are they made out of, because I want to make my own. Thanks!
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    Also, is there any use for this type of cordage. It is super light and I'm one of those type...I haven't figured out yet if I can't carry a heavy load (only tried once) or won't !

Whats the difference in how well the single high tech braids and the small diameter high tech double braids hold a knot?
    Last edited by dufus934; 05-23-2008 at 12:35.
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dufus934 View Post
    Also, you mentioned something about a strap. Maybe I don't know as much about the "tree hugger" style straps as I thought I did. What are they made out of, because I want to make my own. Thanks!
    I would use polyester webbing. The camo webbing from owfinc has a 3,200 lbf breaking strength. If you want cheap, try the yellow harbor freight webbing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast