No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

Mummy bag to keep warm in hammock???

Before I got my hammock I always slept n the ground no pad in my mummy bag 3/4 zip and it has always kept me toasty! I was wondering if the mummy bag will work with a hammock? With all the different methods of under and over warmth I was starting to think that a sleeping bag or mummy bag was out of the question and somewhat taboo lol?

Do any of you use a mummy bag or sleeping bag? I also bring a wool blanket for under me and on top of me when sleeping on the ground but would think I would need to secure it to the top and bottom of the hammock on the bottom blanket.

Any info or help on wether this will work ok would be great! I dont see why it wouldnt but im new to this whole hanging thing so I appretiate any thing you can give me and I look forward to sleeping comfirtable from now on!!!!!Thanks!

Josh

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    It works fine. But, it is heavier, bulkier, generally more expensive, and more awkward than a quilt. If it were a full-zip, then it would only be heavier and bulkier than you really need.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    The mummy bag will be just as warm on top in a hammock as it was on the ground. The difference between using it on the ground and in a hammock is that you had no breeze robbing heat from under you on the ground. The bag will contribute some warmth underneath, but the insulation compressed by your body will not loft to the extent that it will without being compressed. The lower the temperature, the more pronounced that will be. You'll most likely notices it in your shoulders and on your butt since those are the two areas that are compressed most when in a hammock.

In short, the bag will work for top insulation, but you'll probably need more on the bottom whether it be an underquilt or a pad of some sort. A wool blanket will help to some extent under you. I imagine a military wool blanket folded in two might offer 25-30 degrees beyond what the bottom of your bag alone would provide. A cheap blue CCF pad would probably offer more. A cheap blue CCF pad and a wool blanket might be all that you need if you're not going extremely cold.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I use quilts almost year round, but when I get into some serious cold, then i still use my mummt bag in the hammock. Points already stated are true, bu one benefit to the down mummy bag in the hammock is the integrated hood which really allows for a snugfit around my head to maintain warmth. This is necessary for me when i hit the negative teens F. The second benefit is related ot the compression of the down under me. Not all of it compresses, in fact from my waist down some of it lofts up between my knees and legs and fills in the bag from below, this reduces the gaps inside the bag allowing for more efficient heat retention. Some hammocks are a [pain in the rear to even consider using a mummy bag, fortunately mine isn;t. BTW, the mummy bag I use in these extreme conditions is the North Face Solar Flare.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    I use quilts almost year round, but when I get into some serious cold, then i still use my mummt bag in the hammock. Points already stated are true, bu one benefit to the down mummy bag in the hammock is the integrated hood which really allows for a snugfit around my head to maintain warmth. This is necessary for me when i hit the negative teens F. The second benefit is related ot the compression of the down under me. Not all of it compresses, in fact from my waist down some of it lofts up between my knees and legs and fills in the bag from below, this reduces the gaps inside the bag allowing for more efficient heat retention. Some hammocks are a [pain in the rear to even consider using a mummy bag, fortunately mine isn;t. BTW, the mummy bag I use in these extreme conditions is the North Face Solar Flare.
    Pretty much spot on. There is a reason why sleeping bags evolved to the mummy style. The hoods and baffles contribute significantly in retaining heat. Shoulders and butts are what gets cold first in a hammock, just like bridges over roads. The acrobatics required to get in a mummy bag in a hammock can be challenging, but if it gets cold enough you'll find a way to get in there.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here ya' go.....it does work)))))))
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I gotta ask. Why would you want to keep a Worm in your hammock?

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    I gotta ask. Why would you want to keep a Worm in your hammock?
    Don't they just hibernate when they get cold?
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've lost count of how many quilts I have, but I slept in a Wiggys 0F mummy bag at the Colorado Winter Hang last weekend. It's huge, heavy, and comfortable...and since the "hike" was a few hundred yards, I brought it instead of a quilt. I really like not having any drafts around my neck and shoulders when using a bag.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I still use an old North Face Ibex down mummy bag (bought the bag in the early 70's) as a TQ. I leave it zipped up part way for the foot box and it works just fine. It is a bit on the heavy side (this bag is rated for below 0 degrees).

Have to use it as a TQ as it has shrunk in the closet and I can not use it as mummy bag anymore
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast