Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images

Smile

Well, I'm not giving up on anyone. I figure worst case scenario I get lost and set up camp just off the trail until someone comes along who knows where to go. Failing that I'll start shouting whoo buddy and finally resort to the wood knocking if all else fails. Maybe, one of those Southern Indiana 'squach will come adopt me into their tribe. (Anyone seen "Finding Bigfoot" on Animal Planet?)

Jerry,
    Thanks for calling me out on the beer. I'll remember that this fall. I was actualy looking at the list of 40-50 potential attendees for HH3
    and thinking, "Im not gonna carry in beer for all those people, this is gonna have to be a BYOB event." Even though I didn't carry the beer in for the Haloween Hang. (Thanks HMH & Doc) No, this time around it just me and just enough for me.

However, I do have a couple items for the gear raffle. I would also like to issue a small challenge f
    or those willing to take it up.

Also's Friction Fire Challenge
    The first person to produce a functional bow drill set and use it to generate a friction fire will receive a BNiB Maratac AAA flashlight in natural Aluminium color. (I have a personal one and love it.)

Bow drill method is not mandatory. Although no modern materials can be used to assist in the process, knife/saw excluded. The challenge won't start until Friday (our official first day of the hang) so everyone has equal chance. A successful fire must be generated from a friction formed ember in plain view of the group & prefferably myself. If there is no winner, or no one cares to take up the challenge, I will place the flashlight in the PIF thread sometime before the end of April.

EDIT: If this challenge is rained out (dont waste your time if it's been raining at all!) I will place the light in the gear raffle.

Good luck to everyone, see you on the trail.
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 03-30-2012 at 07:37.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    HG Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Also's Friction Fire Challenge
    The first person to produce a functional bow drill set and use it to generate a friction fire will receive a BNiB Maratac AAA flashlight in natural Aluminium color. (I have a personal one and love it.)

Aron

Thanks for dropping the friction fire challenge as that sounds like a blast. Currently looks like I will be leaving from Muncie early Friday morning for the HNF, approx 2.5 hr drive, don't know if that helps you out. I have never been to this section so it will be a challenge to find the site.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry ( the Hiker ) View Post
    This concerns me a bit.....A marine giving coords.... I plugged in the numbers on google earth, and then on my GPS....looks pretty cool.
    We will be on the trail either Wednesday evening, or THursday morning, not sure which yet. Homemade...AaronAlso has my cell number, if you 2 get lost, give me a shout I will help.

Oh, Great news...My oldest son is coming home from college ( in Idaho ) and will be joining Chris and I on the hang.....

New guy coming in from Texas....The fall hang is in October close to Halloween....ie The Halloween Hang. usually 10 to 15 show up, good times, great weather, and if AaronAlso comes, 2 mini kegs of beer.
    I live about 30 minutes from Deam, and go there all the time, when you get here, look me up, would be glad to go hang...

Jerry The Hiker
    Jerry, being a Sailor yourself I understand your concern. You are right. We do count on the Navy to get us there, then we do the real work.
    Did you hear about the Admiral that lost an ear in his early days. I think he said a Marine chewed it off, whatever. Anyway, he went about interviewing his staff and made it a point to ask if they saw anything odd about him hoping to find someone, anyone with some manners and sensitivity. When he would ask a Navy Captain, they would say something like, well, something about him missing an ear and he would throw them out of his office. This went on and on until he had the chance to interview an old Gunny from the Marines. After the interview the Admiral asked the question to see if the Marine was as uncaring and insensitive as all the others. The Marine answered that he did notice something unusual and commented that he noticed the Admiral was wearing contact lenses. That old salty Gunny's answer brought him pause and even, embarrassingly, a good cry, some tears and he really opened up to the old Marine, saying that all his life everyone made fun of his missing an ear and no one saw him for what he really was. After a long sobbing session the Admiral looked at the Marine sheepishly and laughed the best he could over the out pouring of pent up emotions. He told the Marine how he appreciated his not noticing anything unusual except his contacts. He asked how it was that the Gunny was so observant in noticing something as subtle as him wearing contact lenses. The Gunny said, "Admiral, any idiot would know you can't hold up a pair of glasses with only one @$%%^$# ear!
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Tonka Gear Gathered
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    HGincubator/burrow
    Suspension
    4wheel independant
    Nice Mule. Real sensitive...
    “Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.”
    ― Steven Wright

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Mule you and you stories... I'm gonna be laughing about that all day. It's already cost me a few weird looks when I just randomly busted out LOLing.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    not certain yet, but I might make a saturday appearance for this one, gotta check with the forces that pay me
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"~Jack Nicholson/As Good As It Gets

Hammock
    dp gear .com
    Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com

Navy vs Marines ...

Haaaaaaaaaa,

I'm picturing the 3rd Hoosier Hang as a "beverage" establishment scenerio.

You know, the small part of the Navy on one side with all the sailors on the other.

Can anyone share with me, why they call a Marine a "jar-head"?

Yes, that should get things warmed up ...

Happy Friday the 13th HH campfire?
    dp Dave

dphammockgear.com

dplightweightbackpackinggear.com
    dplightweightbackpackinggear.com

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Not going to comment on jarhead issues,,but I know why they call a sailor a "Swabbie!!!"
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear DCF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    As I hang here on lake Monroe thinking how perfect the weather is this weekend, and hoping it will be as nice for us in a couple of weeks. As of right now I am planning to arrive Friday morning. I am probably going to park at the south trail head for a change. Let me know if anyone else is planning on that time and location.

PS the stars are really out tonight.

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    Last year I tried some sassafras tea bushcraft style. I looked and looked, but couldn't find my own bush... the leaves weren't out. Love to have you in the adventure HamMike.

The new coordinates are still down in the Hollow, so it shouldn't be too bad.

I'll be in camp with the wife on Thursday. Today were finishing her dble 1.9 Rasberry & Navy hammock and starting her Purple tarp.
    I like big hammocks - I cannot like.

• + New Posts
  • Page 28 of 45 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast